Thread: A good spot close to anchorage for bear hunting??

Default A good spot close to anchorage for bear hunting??

I've been in Anchorage for 7 years now and I am finally taking up big game hunting. My question is where is a good place close to Anchorage to take a black bear. I've hiked the Crow Pass Trail (saw one the first mile in) and and been riding down to Girdwood glassing the hills. I hit Hope this weekend and saw more scat than bears. I need to stay close to home because my wife is due to have the baby any day now. Any suggestions on where to go. I leave to go TDY for 9 months next Friday and would LOVE to take one before I leave. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cwgolden99 View Post
    I've been in Anchorage for 7 years now and I am finally taking up big game hunting. My question is where is a good place close to Anchorage to take a black bear. I've hiked the Crow Pass Trail (saw one the first mile in) and and been riding down to Girdwood glassing the hills. I hit Hope this weekend and saw more scat than bears. I need to stay close to home because my wife is due to have the baby any day now. Any suggestions on where to go. I leave to go TDY for 9 months next Friday and would LOVE to take one before I leave. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    High quality Binoculars, and a lot of time operating them. Open hillsides and Binoculars, it is that simple. Find a thread on here on how to operate binoculars. A quick scan will not get the job done, lots of time studying every dark spot, every horizontal line, every stump, etc.. Good Hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    High quality Binoculars, and a lot of time operating them. Open hillsides and Binoculars, it is that simple. Find a thread on here on how to operate binoculars. A quick scan will not get the job done, lots of time studying every dark spot, every horizontal line, every stump, etc.. Good Hunting.
    Thanks AGL4now, that may be where my mistake is. I have a good set of bino's. I've just been doing a quick scan focusing more up high rather than down low. Also, I'll try that next time I go out. Thanks for you help!

I hear if you have quad access and follow the trails up Jims creek going to the glacier there are alot of bears up there... Especially during the salmon run

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."