Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to buy

Default What to buy

My wife reluctantly went to Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday and seen that they were raffling rifles again. The last time they did she walked away empty handed, this time she walked away with a $500 certificate towards a gun. She says it is my fathers days gift so now I have to decide what to buy. I already have a 300 WBY so I have a moose gun. I have .223's and 22-250's but nothing in between. What are your guys thoughts if you were in the same situation? I hunt caribou and deer every once in awhile so a .270 would be nice but I wouldn't mind having a .338 for the extra knockdown.... I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to do!!! Help

The 270 is a great midweight rifle, the 280 is good and the 7mm is better, if you are going to hunt in bear country while deer or bou hunting I would go for the 7mm or the 338. Lots of bullets available for the 280, 7mm, the other option would be the 300WSM, the 270WSM.

338 without a doubt
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If the Misses shoots, get something she will shoot and share it.
    Good luck.

For deer and other animals up to moose and black bear the 280 Remington is a hard number to beat. With its ballistics and tolerable recoil it makes a very good rifle for a sportsmans battery. It would also make a good spare rifle in case the wife decides to go afield with you.
    If on the other end of the spectrum you decide to hunt large dangerous game animals the 338 WM is a good choice and the 375 caliber rifles would be an even better choice if the animals aren't on the north american continent.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by pic1083 View Post
    If the Misses shoots, get something she will shoot and share it.
    Good luck.
    This sounds good! And if she doesn't shoot, why not add a 22 LR to the battery and see if she has interest in getting started? Everyone can use another 22 LR...

Get a 308. They come in AR platforms, lever action, bolt, semi auto. Plenty of choices. The AR platform will allow the addition of more calibers just by adding an upper.
    Lots of choices for 308 ammo and bullets.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I have .223's and 22-250's but nothing in between. What are your guys thoughts if you were in the same situation? I hunt caribou and deer every once in awhile so a .270 would be nice but I wouldn't mind having a .338 for the extra knockdown.... I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to do!!! Help
    If I didn't have a 25/06, acquiring one would be at the top of my priorities. It provides "big gun" terminal performance with mild recoil--tough combination to beat. However I am a handloader, and that is a critical component in all of my selections, and if you're not I'd recommend a .308 Winchester. If I were limited to factory ammo, I doubt I'd hunt with much else...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Since you already have a 300 WBY, I would either split the difference with what you have now to a 25-06, 270 or 280. The other option depending on what you are planning to hunt would be to go bigger to like a 375 H&H or Ruger. I am really liking my 375 Ruger Alaskan.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My wife does shoot and I bought her a 30-06 a few months ago. I am tired of getting the snot kicked out of me with the 300WBY so wouldn't mind something with less recoil. I do most of my hunting in bear country and that is my dilema. I reload all my ammo so im not sure how much that changes my choices, any thoughts? I have been told the Tikka T3 with magna port and limbsaver in .338 would be my best gun for where I hunt but I am reluctant to buy a heavy kicker that is no fun to shoot. I hear al the time that you don't feel the recoil when you shoot an animal.... How am I going to hit said animal if I don't shoot it at paper, where it is going to hurt.... once again I appreciate the suggestions and will have to mill this around in the thick head of mine before I even step foot near a gun counter. Any one have experiance with the Tikka T3 in .338?

I've got a T3 in 30-06 7 1/4 lbs inc. scope. Shoots around 3/4" with a 3x9 scope off the truck hood. The only problem with it so far is a TSA employee dropped the bolt and broke the plastic bolt shroud. Broken bolt shrouds are a common issue with the T3 rifles (just check web). A Aussie company now makes an aluminum replacement part that looks really good; costs about $60 inc. shipping, they advertise on ebay as well.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I'm quite the wimp when it comes to recoil. Have also seen the problems caused to beginning shooters when they get sensitive to kick. I have a savage model 12 in 300WSM. It has the savage muzzle brake on it. The brake is turned on-off by rotating it to open or close the holes. I have it on at the range to lessen kick. Then turn it to close the holes for hunting. Plus, with the brake off (holes closed) it isn't as loud either.
    Savage guns are reasonable priced and good quality.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I reely like those Weatherby Vanguards.

I dunno, if you could get one in 280 Rem. or 7mm-08, though, and of course, the 270, has become obsolete.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I reely like those Weatherby Vanguards.

I dunno, if you could get one in 280 Rem. or 7mm-08, though, and of course, the 270, has become obsolete.

Smitty of the North
    I also like Vanguards and think they are a darn good rifle for the money, and so are Tikka's. But the 270 is obsolete???? oh man, Jack O'Conner just did a back flip

Tikka .338's have been known to blow appart. This is the only caliber that I have heard of this failure however. Sportsmans in Anchorage has a Savage model 116 in .338WM. It has a fluted barrel and muzzle break that can be turned on or off and it is stainless. It has a cammo stock on it. I believe it's the new AK or bearpaw model or something. I have an older model of this rifle and love it. It shoots sub MOA groups at 100 yards with Winchester premium and Federal Premium ammo from 200gr to 230gr bullets. I put a Bell and Carlson stock on mine after the first year for looks more than anything and it added a litle weight. The whole package weighs in at 8lbs with a Leupold vari X II and recoil is very tolerable.

Happy choosing!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Any one have experiance with the Tikka T3 in .338?
    If you look around on this forum you'll find some threads with thoughts on the Tikka. In short I like it because it is a reasonable price, lightweight, and has a silky smooth bolt throw. I don't like it because the ejection port is too small, because there have been some reliability problems reported, and because the stock feels flimsy. When I was buying my rifle the Tikka was under serious consideration but I ultimately didn't go for it.

Once you pick a caliber I think it'd be hard to go wrong with a Weatherby Vanguard. They are an excellent value. Sportsmans has had them on sale and I think I've seen some sub-$400. The action is great, the ergonomics are good, and they seem to be shooters. The only "downside" is that they tend to be a bit heavy, but with a harder-recoiling caliber that might be ok.

I'm by no means an expert -- I'm just a guy that hunted around for a few months prior to buying a rifle and looked at a lot of options. I found the Tikka to come up short in a few categories that mattered to me.

\\

As far as caliber goes... The 300 WBY magnum is a solid big game cartridge. I don't really see a reason to get a 338 win mag or anything larger, really, unless you have an African Safari planned. Then you'd have two hard hitting heavy recoiling rifles suitable for brown bears or maybe moose at longer ranges. You've already got two varmint calibers. It seems that the comfortable "middle" of the pack is what you need filled in.

A healthy .30 caliber would work fine to fill the niche of something which is more "shootable" than a big magnum but still capable of taking everything in the state (country?) other than brown bears. You could get a 30-06, sharing a caliber with your wife (which might make stocking ammo/reloading/hunting trip logistics simpler). A 308 would provide 95% of the energy with much less of the recoil in a short-action platform to boot. A 30-30 is obviously range limited but is gentle recoiling and has enough energy for black bear and smaller ungulates; there's also the ergonomics of a nice handy lever gun!

Going down to something like a 270 or something similar might also make sense if you want something more "shootable."

I opted for the 308 myself.

\\

Of course, everyone always needs another .22 and another shotgun, so those are certainly options! I also really like my 1894 pistol caliber carbine; if you've already got a bear revolver then a lever gun makes a natural sidekick and is a lot of fun at the range as well as being fairly inexpensive to plink with.

well I don't think that anyone who "doesn't see the need for a 338" hasn't hunted with one - if I were held (heaven forbid) to one centerfire rifle for big game I would no need to contemplate at all, I would be shopping for the "best" 338 Win Mag I could find and then I'd go hunting - I have killed blacktail, mule deer, caribou, black bear, lots of elk & moose with the 338 caliber and when I was in brown bear / griz country I slept a whole lot better - I am all giddy about getting my latest project in my hands to hunt with (a model 70 338 WSM wildcat) and even though I doubt I'll sell all my other firearms there's a good chance they won't get used much anymore - that said I really do like that 270 WSM flavor, fast & efficient with easy recoil - Sportsman's doesn't carry Kimber Montana's anymore do they ?

Thanks for all the advice. I do feel that the 300 WBY does everything I need it to do for the big animals we hunt in Alaska. I feel comftorable hunting anything in North America with it. A good .308 would be nice in the family since the kids could shoot it and it would be a great caribou rifle for them but I hate to be underowered in bear country. What are everyones thoughts on a 7MM? Ballistics look to be pretty good but it just might be getting too close the .300 WBY. I could always just get a muzzle loader and call it good. I am at work for another couple days so I will have to hurry up and decide. It will probley be easier once I can feel the rifle in my hands and go from their. Thanks for all the advice guys, Happy shooting and lets keep safe out their. Seems like a rough weekend for some familys out their.

Bliss,

Any thoughts on a lever action, maybe in 45-70? Kill anything with it, short and maneuverable and lots of bullet choices. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by outaMT View Post
    Bliss,

Any thoughts on a lever action, maybe in 45-70? Kill anything with it, short and maneuverable and lots of bullet choices. Good luck.
    I'm liking the 'branch' out idea as well. Looks like you've got some bolt guns...how about branching out to a lever, an AR, or something of the like? An AR in 6.8 SPCII or 6.8x43 would be SWEET! I know LuJon just purchased a couple....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast