Thread: Looking for a Sponsor for an Army Troop in Iraq

Default Looking for a Sponsor for an Army Troop in Iraq

I am looking for any individual or group / outfitter to sponsor our Troop. We are an
    OH-58D (R) Kiowa Warrior Armed Scout Helicopter Troop based out of Fort Wainwright, AK deployed to Kirkuk Iraq. We are in desperate need of targets. Looking for anything to practice on. There are about 12 of us that have bows here and practice. I actually hand carried the "Block" over here and that is the only thing we have.

What we will do in return: An American Flag will be flown in our helicopter on a mission dedicated and sent to you with a certificate of authenticity. Pictures and updates of what is going on here our daily adventures here hunting in Iraq.

Again we would appreciate any help given. If interested post here and I will send you our address.

Thanks

I realize we are fighting a ruthless group of murderers and we have no option No Option! But to hunt them down ... One by One. And that's exactly what we're going to do. - President George W. Bush, 15 March 2002

What kind of targets do you want? Send me a PM. with address.

How would you go about sending a target over there? Can you drop it of at a base a have it shipped? If you can get a burlap bag and stuff it with shrink wrap or plastic it will make a pretty good target.

We can get anything through the Post Office, Official Mail. That is a good Idea, will see what we can make. Thank you.

Blue8Gulf, if you can make it down to Riflestock FARP and can fit them in your KW's I can leave a few targets for you. I'm with the AKARNG Helo unit near there and can drop at least one off at Riflestock. SIPR 242-0430, ask for the SGM

See if there are any unserviceable sleeping bags at Supply. A polyester-fill sleeping bag, put into a garbage bag and tied really snugly, will last through thousands of archery shots. Just make sure it is backed up to a proper stop and nothing will get through it! As it begins to spill out because of shot holes, simply re-bag it!

Want a bigger target? Add another bag.

Problem solved!

Taylor

Riflestock is a little to far for now. Plus there isn't much room. I built a stand that has 3 layers of carpet and 11 layer of cardboard (fast packs). I hand carried one back from R&R and a few other soldiers are doing the same. Thanks for the offer SGM I do appreciate it. We have about 13 people with bows now and our targets are going fast. We should be getting some new ones in soon.

Default Archery hunt for caribou in the North Slope.

Attention: Ft Wainwright OH-58D Kiowa Warrior Armed Scout Helicopter Troops,
    I can offer two of your troops an invitation to join me on a caribou archery hunt
    to the North Slope. My regular hunting partner has left the nieghborhood. I have been
    to the Slope twice. I have a reliable truck. I sent a similar invitation to your Public
    Relations Office. I have yet to receive a reply. I am looking at the first week of
    September for the hunt. I expect to be out for a week. It takes one day of driving
    each way from the Slope. We can discuss more particulars with your reply. Regards.
    Jojo

Quote Originally Posted by TigerRudyM View Post
    Attention: Ft Wainwright OH-58D Kiowa Warrior Armed Scout Helicopter Troops,
    I can offer two of your troops an invitation to join me on a caribou archery hunt
    to the North Slope. My regular hunting partner has left the nieghborhood. I have been
    to the Slope twice. I have a reliable truck. I sent a similar invitation to your Public
    Relations Office. I have yet to receive a reply. I am looking at the first week of
    September for the hunt. I expect to be out for a week. It takes one day of driving
    each way from the Slope. We can discuss more particulars with your reply. Regards.
    Jojo
    I and others would love to go on the hunt with you. Especially because it would be some of our first hunts. Unfortunitley We are still deployed and will not be back until next year some time. Thank you so much for the offer and if it still stands next year I can help arrange things. Good luck though, I am sure there are soldiers back that would love to go with you. Sorry I don't know who you need to contact. Good luck hunting.

Blue8Gulf, order them from cabelas. I got them delivered last year in Iraq and we just had a 3-D deer delivered last week to us here in Afghanistan. Cabelas will ship just about anything. The only thing I couldn't get them to send over here was the large brown bear 3-D target. Block targets and bags aren't an issue. I order a new bow from Bowtech every deployment and I always get a few new guys shooting bows. We're setting up an archery range here on the COP. Last deployment we even had one guys who was a certified instructor so we got a lot of Soldiers IBEP certified.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Blue8Gulf, order them from cabelas. I got them delivered last year in Iraq and we just had a 3-D deer delivered last week to us here in Afghanistan. Cabelas will ship just about anything. The only thing I couldn't get them to send over here was the large brown bear 3-D target. Block targets and bags aren't an issue. I order a new bow from Bowtech every deployment and I always get a few new guys shooting bows. We're setting up an archery range here on the COP. Last deployment we even had one guys who was a certified instructor so we got a lot of Soldiers IBEP certified.
    Thanks for the info again. Stay safe over there. This place is definitely ready for us to leave. Nothing going on here. When you get back we will have to get together if you have time and you can answer the million questions I have.

Blue8Gulf, PM sent
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Blue8Gulf, I will extend my North Slope hunt invitation for 2012. My name is Jojo, email jojola12rr@hotmail.com and phone 907-9781346. I live in Fairbanks, AK. Keep in touch. Jojo

Hey Blue8Gulf,

I second what TigerRudyM said about the invite on a North Slope hunt next year for you or a couple of your guys. The wife is still active (25+yrs) and still going. I had my fill and got out after 16 yrs active and 5 yrs GS!

As for targets, sh!!!, take your bows with you on missions and see if you can't hit a few moving targets!

Anyways, keep your powder dry and Godspeed!!

Terry

Thanks for the reply's and offers for hunting trips. You better believe it that I and a few others will take both Jojo and Terry up on your offers. I will definitely keep in touch as the year progresses. Life here in Iraq is boring and Hot right now. Hoping to come home early but it does not look that way. I and a bunch of us pilots are really looking forward to hunting and just enjoying everything AK has to offer. I myself am planning on retiring out here for good. Thanks again

Blue8Gulf, yeah, i wouldn't plan on getting out of there early. An ALARACT was just published outlining the plan for 9 month deployments. "BEGINNING 1 JAN 12 THE ARMY WILL TRANSITION TO
    9-MONTH DEPLOYMENT PERIODS TO ANY OCONUS NAMED OPERATION FOR GENERAL
    PURPOSE FORCES UNITS FROM DIVISION HEADQUARTERS ECHELON AND BELOW WITH
    FULL IMPLEMENTATION NLT 1 APR 12 TO INCREASE THE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR
    SOLDIERS AND FAMILIES AND REBALANCE THE FORCE."

We are right on the line of "full implementation" so for us it will be a full 12 months I'm sure. No EML for 9-month deployments either. PM me your NIPR info and I'll send you the whole message if you want.

AKHunterNP, Yeah I have the ALARACT message. But I can always hope. I am really looking forward to getting back to my family and start preparing for 2012 hunting. It is nice to see all the military and retired and supporters on these threads. I do appreciate everyone that has sent messages. Looking forward to getting together with everyone and anyone that wants to for a beer when I return.

I am a little late on this but here is an Bale type target idea also. Build as big as you like. Collect a bunch (dfac, hlz, where ever) of cardboard, 2x4 (depends on your target size, 4 pieces of all thread cut to fit target height + 6" with 8 nuts and 8 flat washers per target.
    Lets say we want a 5' tall x 4' wide bale. Cut 4 2x4's to 4'6" long, make 2 stacks of 2x4's one on top the other and drill a hole your all thread will fit through 1 1/2" from each end centered. Cut all thread 5'6" put a flat washer and nut on one end of each piece of all thread and run through each hole on 2 boards. Place boards on the ground with nuts down main lenght ofall thread pointing up, layer your collected cardboard on top of these boards until you reach the 5' height, guide other 2x4's onto the all thread add flat washer then nut and tighten to compress the cardboard. Shoot until you arms are sore or your strings break whichever comes first. Basically your making a cardboard sandwich using 2x4's and all thread.
    Last edited by sniper3083006; 10-14-2011 at 01:33. Reason: drawing messed up