Thread: Bayliner question?

Default Bayliner question?

Hello folks!
    I just stumbled on to a smoking deal on a 22 Bayliner Trophy. I believe it has a 5.0 and an alpha 1 drive? Who would you recommend for a total look over on the boat? I have 0 experience on inboards. It's unforeseen how long I plan on keeping it because I love my alloy! I know a good deal and can't pass this one up...

Thanks,
    Ken

PM Me........very available and good knowledge on Mercs and Alpha's.

I suspect you'd spend more money than its worth fixing up the motor/outdrive and buying a trailer for it. Heck it doesn't even have a steering wheel in the photos I've seen.

You could try Burkeshore Marine at Big Lake since they sell and service Bayliners.

Anyone on here buy the Bayliner Trophy auctioned on Elmendorf?
    If the engine and outdrive are good (doubtful) it was a good deal for somebody. If not, it will be an interesting project.
    http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=4442469

I actually went and took a look at it, I was optimistic at first from the pictures. Once I seen it in person that in my opinion is going to be a money pit! The engine looked trashed (I'm not an inboard person) but I used common sense. There was about 1-2 ft of water in the engine compartmant running forward. Water in the V-berth from were the step down is to the bottom of the cushions. It was in really rough shape it would take a lot to get it back up and going I think. They even took the trim tab panel.

Some deals aren't even good deals if they are free, can't believe somebody dropped ~$10k on that. It's going to take 100's of hours of labor to make that thing right, and thousands in parts.

More often than not, the best deals on used boats are the ones that are in pristine condition. The purchase price might be more than a fixer up, but you almost always put more $ into the fixer upper, and all your time.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Ken210 I thought that was the boat you were looking at when I made my offer of going to look. Had someone else call me about it and went to lok myself. I would gave you a thumbs down. That thing was always put away wet and very rarely was it ever taken care of after removal from the salt. The OD I believe was new 2 summers ago. The engine had a bunch of hours, but hard to tell without an hours meter. I know from seeing it down Seward way during Silver season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Ken210 I thought that was the boat you were looking at when I made my offer of going to look. Had someone else call me about it and went to lok myself. I would gave you a thumbs down. That thing was always put away wet and very rarely was it ever taken care of after removal from the salt. The OD I believe was new 2 summers ago. The engine had a bunch of hours, but hard to tell without an hours meter. I know from seeing it down Seward way during Silver season.
    Sorry for not calling you. I work 3 minutes away and it was a spurr of the moment deal. No excuse but I really appreciate your offer! I owe you a beer sir!

Here is the Bayliner owner club (BOC)

http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/index.php

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

They look nice but don't hit a stick or chunck of ice with them. They reduced the hull thickness for a few years and are notoriours for splitting hulls.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    They look nice but don't hit a stick or chunck of ice with them. They reduced the hull thickness for a few years and are notoriours for splitting hulls.
    Interesting info, I have been looking at a few 2452's, any idea what time frame for the thinner hulls?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Interesting info, I have been looking at a few 2452's, any idea what time frame for the thinner hulls?
    I had never heard the hull thing but I do know that there was alot of transom/stringer cracking problems. That was the mid to late 80's and then again early 90's. Mostly smaller rigs 18 to 22 footers and it was not just limited to OB setups.

The big thing for any fiberglass boat is standing water in the bilges, especially if there is any possiblity that it got under the glass and then froze. I seen a late '90's Baja boat delaminate going down the water. The glass was literally coming off in sheets from under the boat while on step. When we got it back to shore we found that the inner glass had split/cracked and water sat/froze over the winter. Nothing more then an expensive piece of junk. The owner tried to have it professional repaired twice but it would just start in another area.

Hey Ken210, I threw a bid in on that 2359 also but I guess you wanted it more than I. I knew from pictures that it would be a ton of work and cash for parts even doing all the work myself. post how to get in touch with you if you would like to bail out of it, if not, best of luck with it. Please dont take this as an insult or anything like that.
    Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by trbodeezle View Post
    Hey Ken210, I threw a bid in on that 2359 also but I guess you wanted it more than I. I knew from pictures that it would be a ton of work and cash for parts even doing all the work myself. post how to get in touch with you if you would like to bail out of it, if not, best of luck with it. Please dont take this as an insult or anything like that.
    Best wishes.
    I didn't buy it. I was intrested in it as a project if it wouldve went for cheap. When the bid was over 400 bucks I passed on it. I wasn't going to spend nearly the amount of money who ever won it for.

Ken

I would also have it surveyed, both the boat and engine. Will save you some big $$$ in the future.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    can't believe somebody dropped ~$10k on that.
    Did that tub actually sell for $10K? It's amazing how an auction will prompt people to do unwise things.

Quote Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
    Did that tub actually sell for $10K? It's amazing how an auction will prompt people to do unwise things.
    $9205 without a trailer.