Thread: First year dipping questions (I have a prop boat)

Default First year dipping questions (I have a prop boat)

This will be my first year dipping. I have a 17' alumaweld with a 60 PROP on it, yes not a jet (yet). I was thinking of going to the Copper in early June. I have no time limits in the month of June.

questions:
    - equipment needed? Place to purchase net?
    - launches? Plus can I run a prop on the Copper? Any places you think I can if not.
    - Do my wife and kids (3 and 5) have to be there for me to get their fish dipping? Do my kids even get a limit? If they are not there what do I need from them.
    - camping areas?

- What about a boat on the Kenia with a 60 prop for dipping?

My dad will be coming up with me to run the boat, he will not be fishing. Not looking for secret spots. Just wanting to stick to the rules and not get in to many peoples way when I'm out and have a safe fun time.

thanks

Teacherman

Most of your answers will be here (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rsonalUse.main). Hopefully others will chime in with answers to the others.

Big thing on the Kenai is that your motor has to be a 4-stroke or DFI. Yes, in the boat dipping area you can run a 2-stroke, you just can't dip from it!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Big thing on the Kenai is that your motor has to be a 4-stroke or DFI. Yes, in the boat dipping area you can run a 2-stroke, you just can't dip from it!
    It's a 60HP 4 stroke, is that okay in the dipnet area? Prop doable?

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Most of your answers will be here (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rsonalUse.main). Hopefully others will chime in with answers to the others.
    Great site thanks! Answered most of my questions! The only other real question I have left is, is the Copper River deep enough for a prop? And them while dipping do you just drift with the current? You can tell I'm really new a this, thanks.

Getting a king in a dip net would be a bast!

i cant speak too the copper but on the kenai a prop will be fine.

Default Don't

Don't do it. A prop on the Copper is real risky. I know it's been done, especially in the days before jet units, but there's no margin for error on the Copper and many places you can ground out on sand bars. Please don't do it as your first trip.

The horror stories of death on the Copper are true. If you're going to the Copper for the first time and want to be on a boat, go with someone who has many years of experience.

I also suggest that you search this forum for first-hand accounts of accidents on the Copper. Respect the river.

Here's a Google Earth shot from the bridge down past the confluence with the Chitina. The summer this image was taken, the water was the lowest I've ever seen it. That means with a higher river, you'd not see many of the exposed bars. I've also been there when you would see nothing but water all the way across to the far bank.

The Kenai is definitely safer, but if Dad is not a resident, he cannot operate the boat while you are dipping. He cannot operate the boat while you are between dipping runs. Not sure if he can even help you clean the fish. Better check the regs on that.

~tr

Default Thought so...

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    ...if Dad is not a resident, he cannot operate the boat while you are dipping. He cannot operate the boat while you are between dipping runs. Not sure if he can even help you clean the fish.
    Here's the official word:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have relatives coming to visit; can they help me dipnet?

No. Non-residents MAY NOT participate in personal use fisheries.
    Participation includes, but is not limited to, handling the gear, handling the fish, or driving the boat.

Only Alaskan residents may participate in personal use fisheries, and by regulation, only those holding a valid Alaska resident sport fishing license, or ADF&G Permanent Identification Card (senior license), or ADF&G Disabled Veteran's license may participate in these fisheries.

For fishing and hunting purposes, the Alaska State Legislature has defined a resident as "a person who is physically present in Alaska with the intent to remain indefinitely and makes a home here, has maintained that person's domicile in Alaska for
    12 consecutive months immediately preceding an application for a license and not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory, or country."
    Alaska resident youth under 16 do not have to purchase a sport fishing license to participate. However, they must meet the residency requirement.

Source:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rsonaluse.faqs

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    It's a 60HP 4 stroke, is that okay in the dipnet area? Prop doable?
    In a word, Yes!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

To the OP I say this not to be mean And i dont mean to offend you But since you said you have zero experience on this river I say Do not run this river you dont have the experience nor do you know the dangers of sandbars,Whirlpools which will suck you in and swamp your boat,Sweepers(Whole trees barrelling down at you).Plus you father cant even touch the fish much less drive the boat it would be illegal.I say hook up with hem's charters if you want salmon very badly until you find someone else to take you out many times and gain the experience neccesary to run this river.Once again i mean no offense.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    To the OP I say this not to be mean And i dont mean to offend you But since you said you have zero experience on this river I say Do not run this river you dont have the experience nor do you know the dangers of sandbars,Whirlpools which will suck you in and swamp your boat,Sweepers(Whole trees barrelling down at you).Plus you father cant even touch the fish much less drive the boat it would be illegal.I say hook up with hem's charters if you want salmon very badly until you find someone else to take you out many times and gain the experience neccesary to run this river.Once again i mean no offense.
    No offense taken, its the info I was looking for. I'm good with my boat but not dumb. I'm thinking I will just do some other types of fishing with my dad and go dipping with my father-in-law so we don't have to deal with the resident issue with my dad. The Kenai sounds like a better area for me to learn how to dip.

Any net recommendations? When is the best time to be on the Kenai in general? What about fishing for reds on the Copper? My dad could do that if I was doing the same?

thanks again!

No offense taken, its the info I was looking for. I'm good with my boat but not dumb. I'm thinking I will just do some other types of fishing with my dad and go dipping with my father-in-law so we don't have to deal with the resident issue with my dad. The Kenai sounds like a better area for me to learn how to dip.

Any net recommendations? When is the best time to be on the Kenai in general? What about fishing for reds on the Copper? My dad could do that if I was doing the same?

thanks again!
    Essentially, if you're dipnetting it's going to be personal-use. This excludes your dad from participation in any way. All he can do is watch. He can't touch the gear or fish. See the post below from gr8fl with the regulations. If you want to have your dad along, I suggest doing something that isn't designated as personal-use.

Also concur with most: Don't take your prop on the Copper. It can be done but if you bottom out, blow a prop, whatever...that is a merciless river.

Default kenai dipping

The Kenai sounds like a better area for me to learn how to dip.

Any net recommendations? When is the best time to be on the Kenai in general?
    The two best nets in Alaska imo are either a Fuller net (he lives in Chugiak on Birchwood Loop; just look for the big "dipnets" sign) or one from Mike's welding down on the Kenai. Go with a 5' round hoop and a long pole. Bring extra netting in case yours tears, plus a way to just fix small tears in your netting.

The last week of July is usually a great time to be there, but expect a crowd; a lot of people know the info I'm saying here.

Good luck, have fun, be safe. And consider joining SCADA here: http://alaskadipnetting.com/ They're an organization the works to maintain your ability to go dipnetting, and working to protect the habitat down there, and lots of good stuff.

What about fishing for reds on the Copper?
    hmmm...Don't know if the reds can see lures in the Copper. It's pretty silty. How about combat fishing at the Russian? The Russian and Fish Creek (during dipnet openings) are two experiences you have to see to appreciate.

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    hmmm...Don't know if the reds can see lures in the Copper. It's pretty silty. How about combat fishing at the Russian? The Russian and Fish Creek (during dipnet openings) are two experiences you have to see to appreciate.

~tr
    I really don't think red ever bite lures anyway. Every red I've ever got has been lining.