Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Difference between color phase black bears and brown bears?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default Difference between color phase black bears and brown bears?

    How do you tell the difference between a cinnamon color black bear and a small brown/grizz?

  2. #2
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    If there was any question I would not shoot, but the cinnamon's I have seen were pretty easy to tell. Lack of hump, face shape, claws, etc.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  3. #3

    Default

    A cinnamon with have the physical characteristics of a common Black Bear.
    A small grizzly will have the physical characteristics of a Common Brown Bear...Usually have a light colored ring of hair around their necks as well.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member Jeff Shannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    How do you tell the difference between a cinnamon color black bear and a small brown/grizz?
    This online test from MT FWP should help you...

    http://fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/bearID/default.html

  5. #5
    Member muskeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hollis
    Posts
    963

    Default

    It sometimes can be very difficult and there have been several Cinnamons taken in the Misty's mistaken as Brown Bear and one Brown Bear taken (that I know of) on Rivilla Island as a Black Bear.

    Take a guess !!!!!


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Shannon View Post
    This online test from MT FWP should help you...

    http://fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/bearID/default.html
    You gotta watch that test...they switch around the yes/no answer positions, lol...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    It sometimes can be very difficult and there have been several Cinnamons taken in the Misty's mistaken as Brown Bear and one Brown Bear taken (that I know of) on Rivilla Island as a Black Bear.

    Take a guess !!!!!

    GUESSING - brown bear, but I wouldn't take a shot if this was the only glimpse I had of it. I "think" i can see the hump (not 100% sure).

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    GUESSING - brown bear, but I wouldn't take a shot if this was the only glimpse I had of it. I "think" i can see the hump (not 100% sure).
    Face might not be quite right though... I agree this is a no-shoot until you can see more clearly!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    It sometimes can be very difficult and there have been several Cinnamons taken in the Misty's mistaken as Brown Bear and one Brown Bear taken (that I know of) on Rivilla Island as a Black Bear.

    Take a guess !!!!!

    I wouldn't soot it as a blackie, It looks to have a hump, its nose isn't "straight" from what I see, The ears look small and short. It looks really "big" to be a black, too, not so much its over all size, but it looks to have alotta belly and to big of shoulders for a black. I am by no means an expert, but it seems like the blacks I have seen, they have smaller shoulders.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

  10. #10
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    That looks like a TOAD of a Cinnamon Black Bear to me. I would like a better look before a shot was made, I don't really see a hump, the nose looks straight, the ears seem large and high on the head and I can see the tan muzzle of a Black Bear.

    So I would call that a Cinnamon Black Bear.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    That looks like a TOAD of a Cinnamon Black Bear to me. I would like a better look before a shot was made, I don't really see a hump, the nose looks straight, the ears seem large and high on the head and I can see the tan muzzle of a Black Bear.

    So I would call that a Cinnamon Black Bear.

    Steve
    Agree on all aspects.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12
    Member muskeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hollis
    Posts
    963

    Default

    It's a Cinnamon but many people think it's a Brown Bear ...

    I have seen several over the years that I could not ID as a Hog Cinnamon or a small Brown Bear.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •