Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought on hanging cut/whole herring under a float?

Default Thought on hanging cut/whole herring under a float?

One thing I never tried for while fishing for salmon from shore was hooking up a herring with about 10-20ft of line under a float and just let it drift along with the tide. Obviously a live herring would be better I would think but I would think that dead should work as well. After watching some mackerel being caught and some videos of salmon feeding off a bait ball, it looked like any herring that got injured got snapped up pretty quick. Anyone tried doing this and have any luck with it? Figured it would be a way to keep on fishing while doing other things like setting up camp, putting together other tackle, tying flies, whatever.

I'm sure this would work for silvers.

My preferred method for fishing for them is to toss a whole trolling herring on a mooching rig out and just letting it drift free. I try to keep too much slack from building up and give it a few cranks now and then to get it off the bottom and add movement, and I've had incredible success even when everyone around me is catching nothing.

Only issue with that is the Regs require the line be closely attended, not worth the fine.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I would be within feet of the rod. This would also free me up to fly fish while keeping another rod in the water as per the two rod per person rule. I was planning on trying this out for kings too.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    This would also free me up to fly fish while keeping another rod in the water as per the two rod per person rule.
    Where are you at that they allow 2 rods per person?
    I know it is not allowed in Southcentral.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

South East in the salt. If I am reading the regs wrong, please correct me. Far as I can tell though it's two rods unless that doesn't apply to fishing from shore.

South East in the salt. If I am reading the regs wrong, please correct me. Far as I can tell though it's two rods unless that doesn't apply to fishing from shore.

2 rods in the winter. Summer is one rod.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1334&year=2011
    I believe this expands on this rule. Sorry, should have specified Juneau.

Now you have me trying to figure out how to cast a float with bait on a 20 foot leader......

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1334&year=2011
    I believe this expands on this rule. Sorry, should have specified Juneau.
    Where are you thinking of trying that? If at DIPAC, it may be difficult because of the amount of garbage fish around....

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Now you have me trying to figure out how to cast a float with bait on a 20 foot leader......
    Carefully. Did sort of the same thing down here for sharks off the beach. You got to kind of swing it like a whip. Not super easy or a ton of distance but doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Where are you thinking of trying that? If at DIPAC, it may be difficult because of the amount of garbage fish around....
    No, there are some other spots I frequent that are a lot less crowded. Not sure if I'll still have that problem their but at least I won't be pissing off the hoards of people fishing around me like at DIPAC.

Carefully. Did sort of the same thing down here for sharks off the beach. You got to kind of swing it like a whip. Not super easy or a ton of distance but doable.
    Yeah, I suppose if you have room to do it that way, why not? I was thinking a slip-rig of some sort, but still hadn't come up with a great plan. I'm thinking if you can get the bait down 8-10 feet you'd have a very good shot at any passing salmon. I am toying with the idea of using a kite or balloon to carry my bait out from shore a better distance and then having a release just drop it. Small rubber band could work. One sharp tug to break it....

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Yeah, I suppose if you have room to do it that way, why not? I was thinking a slip-rig of some sort, but still hadn't come up with a great plan. I'm thinking if you can get the bait down 8-10 feet you'd have a very good shot at any passing salmon. I am toying with the idea of using a kite or balloon to carry my bait out from shore a better distance and then having a release just drop it. Small rubber band could work. One sharp tug to break it....
    Ballon and a small piece of candy cane or anything else that will dissolve easily in water to release the line from the balloon. Use to do it shore casting on the east coast all the time.

I have used this method out of Valdez and gotten a lot of silvers. I use a slip float like this one- http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104336280 I rig it up with a bobber stop and bead, then the slip float, then an egg sinker (1/2oz), a barrel swivel, and lastly a hook about 2ft from the barrel swivel. You can run it as deep as you want by just moving the bobber stop up or down on your line, and they cast right through your guides no problem.

I usually try and run the bait anywhere from 10-25ft down. It can get pretty exciting when your combat trolling and a silver takes it though, as they usually go sideways with it. Gotta keep an eye out for boats that will run over your line.

I don't see why a slip bobber knot and a slip bobber wouldn't work. I have fished depths of more than 20 with no problem. Just a good old nail knot pulled tight to the line slip it to where ever depth you want. Should cast easy enough. The thing I'd worry about with a rod even just a few feet away that's not in your hands is when you get hit that pole could be gone fast. Don't think it couldn't happen. I'd get a boat rod holder and mount it to something maybe. A stick in the sand could be asking for a lost rod (Never fun how ever it happens)
    Your lucky to get to use 2 rods. I wish we could .

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I don't see why a slip bobber knot and a slip bobber wouldn't work. I have fished depths of more than 20 with no problem. Just a good old nail knot pulled tight to the line slip it to where ever depth you want. Should cast easy enough. The thing I'd worry about with a rod even just a few feet away that's not in your hands is when you get hit that pole could be gone fast. Don't think it couldn't happen. I'd get a boat rod holder and mount it to something maybe. A stick in the sand could be asking for a lost rod (Never fun how ever it happens)
    I usually am using a spinning rod when fishing floats like this and all I do is open the bail and put a rock on the line. The rock keeps it from drifting too far and it will release the line when the fish hits. Or you can use a rubber band around the butt of the rod and tuck the line underneath it. Then your rod won't go bye bye when the fish hits.

Good idea! Sounds like you got it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    The rod holder thing reminded me of a couple of years ago in Valdez. I was in one boat, trolling. A guy in a little Zodiac was trolling the opposite way going by us. He had his rod in a real rod holder that he had rigged up to something in the raft. Suddenly he got a hit and before he could grab the rod, the entire thing...holder and all....broke off and kerplunk!...down she went. The guy flipped out, screaming colorful language. Turned around and went back to the harbor. Not half an hour later, we see him back out, trolling by us again with a new rod in a death grip in his hand....lol.

So, where does one get a bobber stop? I have limited float experience, and almost none with a slip float, so I'm having a hard time picturing how this works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast