Thread: 2000 16ft Lund Alaskan

Default 2000 16ft Lund Alaskan

My wife has a job offer in Anchorage after she is done with school. I was just wondering how well my boat would work up there for bigger water. I have a 16 foot Alaskan with a 40hp honda 4 stroke. I have had it in 4 foot breakers and 6 foot rollers, which is the biggest water the boat has seen. My experience goes up to about 8 footers with an 18 foot boat, so I am familiar with being stuck out in the weather, just not to the potential extremes up there. I have had boats from 10 to 24ft over the past 20 years, so I have an idea of what I am doing, but have never had to factor in tides/currents/etc. I know I would have to learn a lot about tides/current/winds up there before I ever went out, but weather permitting, would I be able to take it out in the Cook Inlet closer to shore?

Thanks

People do, but I'd say for sure pick your day and watch the weather. Still be a good boat up here for rivers and lakes. We got more than just the ocean here to play in.

Might just be the perfect boat with the way fuel prices are going..

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    People do, but I'd say for sure pick your day and watch the weather. Still be a good boat up here for rivers and lakes. We got more than just the ocean here to play in.
    Thanks. I have fished for just about everything that swims in fresh water in the lower 48, I would just like to try and do some inshore saltwater to try something new. Boat's set up for river, lake, and duck hunting, and it wouldn't take much to throw the downriggers or planer board mast back on. Getting it up there will probably cost a few bucks though.