Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ugly duckling Zodiac Hurricane build

Default Ugly duckling Zodiac Hurricane build

So I started a new project this week....like I needed one. Having just finished my Achilles it`s kind of a bummer to need to do it again but wanted more range, better ride, and more speed. Using some of the components from the existing to get the new up and running.

Specs....

5.3m Zodiac Hurricane RHIB bare boat on worn trailier.

Projects....

Move center console from Achilles
    Swap 115 Merc from Achilles
    Replace trailer lighting , tires, and replace a few bolts
    Install (2) 20 gallon fuel tanks and plumb
    Find a happy place for VHF antenna
    Install dry storage (large cooler)
    Patch a couple tube holes...looks to have been used commercially and has several patches.
    Bend some tubing to duplicate the row frame from the Achilles
    Install downrigger/rod holder mounts
    Make an above-motor rack for gear/shrimp pots

All told it should be a decent boat for the $$ and should yield around 3-5 gallons/hr running between 30-50mph. Will likely get to the fishing grounds faster than any of the friends...unless they wake up waaaayyyy early.

The Achilles that is donating parts...

And the ugly duckling (before picture)...Already cleaned and 303`d...looks much, much better than this photo already.

I will update after the weekend...gonna spend the rest of today taking things out of the Achilles.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Did quite a bit of teardown on the Achilles yesterday and settled on where things will be bolted on the Zodiac. Hoping to find bolts for the motor swap tomorrow and after it is hung the scramble begins. Decided to mimmic the the row frame from the Achilles only it will be 48"s instead of 70". I can extend rearward as needed later but want to be sure to finish by the second week of June and that`s a tall order. More pics to come.

Cleaner and looking better...

Fuel tank in (60 gallon)...

Achilles gutted except for the row frame (stays) and outboard...

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Mounted the outboard last night and will have to modify the install...spacer for transom was a bit thin so I picked up the needed aluminum plate to mount inside and out....hate to have the motor depart @ 50.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Nice boats, but isn't that a Zodiac Pro 530, not a Hurricane?
    If it is a Pro, then the tubes are Strongan (PVC), not hypalon.

Quote Originally Posted by russiarulez View Post
    Nice boats, but isn't that a Zodiac Pro 530, not a Hurricane?
    If it is a Pro, then the tubes are Strongan (PVC), not hypalon.
    The data plate says it`s a Hurricane...early model. Seems to be hypalon...same look and texture of the Achilles. From what I can tell on the net they went through many, many changes from year to year.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Worked on the boat the last couple of nights and finished a few projects. Built some side frames to support the downriggers and rod holders. I will also use the sides as a step around the console (space is always used and kills the foot fath). I made the sides from 1/2" Seaboard in black. I decided to run a 48" section on each side for now and then tying-in a rearward section about 50"s in length that will also support the rear rack that will be over the outboard. The idea behind the rear rack is to carry shrimp pots and the rope tote when the gear is soaking....should free-up alot of floor space. Need to bend and fit the support tubes for the sides and will be done with that for the meantime. Installed the fuel/water filter on the transom and installed the antenna mount on the windshield frame. Also cut the needed aluminum and Seaboard for the motor mount. All of the electronics except the bilge pump are done. Should have the motor mounted properly this week and it`s just a matter of a few small details before a test run.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Nice looking setup, impressive ingenuity. That must scoot right along with all that HP.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Nice looking setup, impressive ingenuity. That must scoot right along with all that HP.
    Thanks for the compliment...can`t wait to extend to the rear and complete the over-motor rack and test run. I`m guessing the top speed around 50 before lift-off. Fishing next weekend so I`ll I`ll have to wait to test until the 14th...getting excited!

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Quick update...

Have been having a hard time getting a few parts I wanted but have managed to get a few things accomplished. Finally wrapped all of the wires and cables, installed one side frame, repaired side bunks on the trailer, rewired the entire trailer, new taillights, remounted the outboard correctly, and a few other odds and ends. Should be on Finger Lake on saturday for it`s maiden voyage...Can`t wait!

Heavy Hitter Fishing

i cant believe they put motors on blow up boats!
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    i cant believe they put motors on blow up boats!
    In this case...alot of motor.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

man whats one of them boats cost used?
    Semper Fi!

Made the first run at Finger Lake today. I do like how this one handles....steers like it`s on a rail. Was able to run 40mph and it gets there fast! There was enough traffic out there to get some decent chop and found it to be tolerable crossing heavy wake at high speed. I`m running an extra-long shaft outboard and couldn`t trim the prop to cavitation (read...good thing) without lifting the entire boat off of the water. What I found most interesting was that it runs faster with more of the boat in the water??? Honestly don`t care why but it`s nice to know it will have good economy without a bunch of trimming. Very stable at rest with heavy wake and that is what I loved about the Achilles when fishing in rollers. Seems to have a hull leak that I haven`t tracked down yet...pulled the plugs on the ballist tanks and all three dropped about 5 gallons of water and also had to run the pump a few times. Performed a glass repair inside the floor hatch where the last owned did an excellent job of over-drilling with the holesaw...don`t think water was making it through there but repaired it anyway. I`ll take it to my buddy`s cabin and let it sit overnight in the water to see how much intrusion there is. Knowing that it can support a ton of water weight without sinking is always a bonus...just want to know how far over the floor it gets before overnighting in the ocean. A friend offered to help with a tough tube leak so that should be done this week then it`s off to Seward for the weekend.

Would post some video but need to edit as my friend on another boat had a miserable time keeping what he was filming in the frame...get motion sick just watching.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Depends on how much use it's seen, engine condition, and add-ons. Good boat, serviceable tubes, serviceable engines, 7-15K. I paid 15 for mine used, it's a hurricane 590 with twin 70's, then I put a cab and a deck over the tubes. I'de sell it for 12 now if someone offered cash. It would cost about 100K new.

You have any pictures?

Yeah, I want to see the finished product . I wanted an inflatable of like kind after owning my first Avon, those RIB's have impressive performance not to mention the huge safetey factor inherent to an inflatable.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    You have any pictures?

Check the drain hole seams that's where water was leaking in on my RIB. I solved the problem by rechalking all my drain hole seems. Also check the quality of your plugs I switched to cork plugs after rechalking the seams. Anyways your boat looks bad ass just remember after 60 mph you’ll probably start to generate lift.

I have a 4 meter Avon, and it starts to chine walk at max speed (40 mph). Does great around 25-30mph in the ocean, faster than than in anything but flat seas and it beats the crap out of me. But the hull is more of a traditional design with deep V (24 degrees in the back I believe).

By the way, if you haven't been there before, check rib.net for great info on RIBs.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Yeah, I want to see the finished product . I wanted an inflatable of like kind after owning my first Avon, those RIB's have impressive performance not to mention the huge safetey factor inherent to an inflatable.
    I`ll try to take a series of pics tomorrow.

Been a scramble lately...headed to Seward for the weekend and should have a better performance report. I have a ton of pitch left to play with on the prop so power is a non issue at this point...just curious what kind of range I`ll have. Right now I have it pitched for 5,800 rpm max. The motor can handle 5,900-6,000 rpm max.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by gooseguy View Post
    Check the drain hole seams that's where water was leaking in on my RIB. I solved the problem by rechalking all my drain hole seems. Also check the quality of your plugs I switched to cork plugs after rechalking the seams. Anyways your boat looks bad ass just remember after 60 mph you’ll probably start to generate lift.
    I did put three new plugs in but you may be right...all the original sockets look suspect. I do happen to have three new sockets so they`ll make their way in this week.

With the 25" extra-long shaft and hydrofoil it could lift off around 45! It`s a bit aggresive in the trim and steering department.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast