Thread: Wood Cookstove

Default Wood Cookstove

Hi there, my husband is building a new cabin for us, and it will be finished pretty soon. I am trying to decide if I want to put in a gas range or an old-fashioned wood cookstove. The main reason I am leaning toward the cookstove is because it will save us loads of money. Wood=free, propane=not so much. I just wanted to know what some of the pros and cons are. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

$4,995.00 for a wood cookstove FOB Los Anchorage vs. $355.00 for a gas stove FOB Los Anchorage. Hard for me to see the money saved. Plus the wood ain't free.........Chainsaw $759.00 fuel per year $70.00 for the saw, Oil, spare chain loops & and reserve bar, filter, files, etc....

Not all wood cookstoves cost 5 grand. If your smart and shop around some, you can get a pretty good deal on a used one. Second, wood is practically free compared to buying propane to fuel your stove. I don't know where you are getting your numbers, but there is a whole lot of money that can be saved over time.

I shopped for a wood cook stove last year, that is where I got my numbers. I want one, but the shipping cost is very high. I looked at one Thursday when I was in Anchorage at North Heat on Dowling Rd. it was $4,995.00 including water jacket. If you find a good value on some please let me know, we could maybe even get a deal on shipping two or more. The other problem is what they call a "Large" Fire box is a joke. I only found one wood cook stove that had a true large fire box. Another disadvantage is we don't have hard woods, so you get a lot of creosote problems and have to semi-disassemble the stove to clean it.

Early 1900's Wood Cook Stove - Functional (Palmer)
    Reply to: Use phone contactsPrice: $1,400Telephone: 907-884-1201THis stove is an early 1900s Quick Meal wood cook stove made in U.S.A it has been around for 100 years, and will be here for another 100 years.
    I am asking $1,400.00 o.b.o.
    Perfect for cabin or anywhere you need to cook without electricity.
    JOHN

Dang that is way expensive for an old cookstove. I got an old cast iron wood fired cookstove. It was originally used at a miners cabin in the early 1930's. A trapper friend found it in the old abandoned cabin, took it apart, backpacked in pieces to use at his Yukon River cabin. Eventually when he moved to town he took it apart again, and used it in his village place for a while. We happened to see it sitting outside his place getting rusty and for 100$ it became our stove. We took it apart and had it flown up here in a 185. This stove has seen some history! I love this stove, it is old and cracked in places so it won't hold a fire overnight very well, but it has a huge fire box and a huge oven and once that cast iron warms up it can really throw off the heat. Plus it's pretty if I keep it polished up. I love cooking with wood, good thing cuz that's all I cook with.

I still can't believe stoves are so expensive these days.
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    Dang that is way expensive for an old cookstove. I got an old cast iron wood fired cookstove. It was originally used at a miners cabin in the early 1930's. A trapper friend found it in the old abandoned cabin, took it apart, backpacked in pieces to use at his Yukon River cabin. Eventually when he moved to town he took it apart again, and used it in his village place for a while. We happened to see it sitting outside his place getting rusty and for 100$ it became our stove. We took it apart and had it flown up here in a 185. This stove has seen some history! I love this stove, it is old and cracked in places so it won't hold a fire overnight very well, but it has a huge fire box and a huge oven and once that cast iron warms up it can really throw off the heat. Plus it's pretty if I keep it polished up. I love cooking with wood, good thing cuz that's all I cook with.

I still can't believe stoves are so expensive these days.
    Grandma Lori
    I have seen them a lot cheaper on Craigslist. I just happened to be on Alaskaslist and saw it. Most things on Alaskaslist isn't all that cheap. I guess it's all about what you can get out of it and what someone is willing to pay.
    JOHN