Thread: BEAR Hunter "Suggestion" Please, Please, Please.

Default BEAR Hunter "Suggestion" Please, Please, Please.

OK, I am NOT looking for a fight, and I know that everyone here is a Master Bear Hunter; However in reading the essays of the hunts this spring I am hearing a LOT of "Snap" shooting, and snap decision making to "Take the Shot".

Many times cubs are hard to see if the hunter does not study the target bear for several minutes, I know that we live in a time in history when "ALL" bears have been down graded to evil vile monsters, stealing the moose that should only be reserved for human consumption. Please be sure the "Black" Bear is really a "Black" Bear and that there are no cubs present, the fate that awaits orphaned cubs is horrific.

End of Rant............Thank you for being a responsible bear hunter.

Amen. I just had a coworker recount to me how a buddy took down a 3 legged bear this month. Aparently it was hit on the 3rd shot, and the same guys hunt that area every year, lets do some math shall we?

Good reminder ALG4now,
    I will say I in Canada where I have black bear hunted they went to a non-residents must have guides system several years back and all the diff camps I was lucky enough to hunt out of the owners/guides did a very good job of stressing your point. I only saw 1 actual cub brought in outs dozens of bears over the years and can not remember a single sow come in that anyone felt or knew there were cubs present, and none showed signs of nursing. I know because I skinned many of them for the hunters. I took 2 sows over the years, knew they were sows when I shot and watched ea one for well over 30 minutes before shooting... If its over bait there is no reason to rush it.
    The one disturbing thing I did see repeated was way to many bad shots taken on bears that probably could have been avoided by simply waiting. There is always the chap that simply comes unglued around game and not sure how you can stop that.
    One fellow lost 2 and finally connected on his third and paid the outfitter a large sum to do so - he is a well known writer and in the story he had in print later there was no mention of the first two...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

A Few years back, whail at a friiend of mine in Kotz, I answerd his phone (he was indisposed) and a lady urging me to vote on some inititive to ban bear baiting on the other end. She gave a me her best tear jerkin schpeil and whatever was written on her slip for calling around that day.
    Then it was my turn.
    I explaind that bait gives you a good look over, lets you know if theres cubs, if its big or fat ar whatever, I further explaianed how Bears use the willows and such as travle ways fro approching rivers and up and down ravines, and that drawing them out gave a fellow a clean shot and more than likely no shot on an undesireable Sow, cubs, small bear, whatever......

She told me she hadnt thought of it from the hunters point of view, and from her tone I could tell she was in serious doubt about what to say on her next call.......she said she was gonna take a break and think about it, then actually thanked me, and we were done.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Great thread, AGL. Important thoughts, it seems to me.
    How/what we think about what we do... matters by shaping not only our personal, but also our local/regional ideas of what hunting should be. Overall, good habits also influence public impressions about hunters and hunting. Skills, attitudes and insights like these are worth cultivating because they're good for the resource (as stranger points out) and good for hunting. Good for the future. As Eddie Grasser (AK Safari Club) emailed recently on another subject, "to teach the important skills and values of our hunting culture to the next generation".

Good thread - While hunting in PWS last week my daughter found a dead bear. It was on the edge of a bump on the tide flats and visible simply by walking by. The bear was in an area where hunters had been earlier in the week and it was obviously a recent kill. I doubt anyone could have not found it if looking for a wounded bear so I believe it was drug up there and left simply because it was small. It was a disgusting thing to see and a huge waste. It could have been a nice boar in a few years. Please know what you are shooting at and take responsibility for what you shoot.

I'll tag on here. I shot my first bear this week it is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than I estimated even after watching it for several minutes. I was unsure of whether I was going to shoot but decided to do it when it became aware of my presence and approached me "quickly". But that's another story. Anyways, my .308 shrank that poor bear at least a foot when I shot it. The bear will not go to waste, or steal anymore of AGL4now's geese, but I do have some regrets. Just thought I would pass this story on.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I'll tag on here. I shot my first bear this week it is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than I estimated even after watching it for several minutes. I was unsure of whether I was going to shoot but decided to do it when it became aware of my presence and approached me "quickly". But that's another story. Anyways, my .308 shrank that poor bear at least a foot when I shot it. The bear will not go to waste, or steal anymore of AGL4now's geese, but I do have some regrets. Just thought I would pass this story on.

Congratulations on the bear harvest.

What I am going say is 100% true, I just don't know the scientific explanation for it. Black or Dark colored things/objects/bears appear to the human eye larger at any distance than they in fact really are. All black bears "Appear" much larger when alive & some distance away than when dead at your feet. I would always tell clients as we would walk up to a black bear, "Be prepared for this bear to seem much smaller than it did alive at 60 yards".

However the opposite is true of White things/objects/sheep/goats/etc. they will stun you when you walk up to them as they are in fact larger than they appeared.

Good call on this AGL

I also took my 1st blackie this weekend and she was at the stand multiple times (she turned and ran for the woods two times before returning and allowing me a safe shot that would cause limited suffering). We had seen this exact bear on the trail cam for the past 2-3 years and also had no signs of cubs this year on the trail cam. I heard of a few stories of people just shooting bears to fill their cards and be done with it. Sometimes "WE" as hunters need to think of things as a whole. The whole "shot or dont shoot" ethically speaking. I just think alot of people get hung up in the "wow this is my first bear.... or man season is getting shorter and its the first and only one I have seen, so I will take the shot.

just think before you squeeze that trigger or release that arrow.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Don't beat yourself up too much MNViking, I agree with AGL4now, that black bears are one of the toughest animals to judge in nature and I have seen some very experienced hunters misjudge them - me included. If your meat hunting the young are sure tender in all species we hunt and the best eaters, you made a good clean kill and have learned a bit about them to take to your next hunt!
    When one makes the best judgement call they can and has a good harvest, they should feel pride and happiness as a hunter.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....