Thread: 325WSM 220gr loads ?????????????????

Default 325WSM 220gr loads ?????????????????

Just picked up my new A-Bolt 325WSM and getting everything ready to start loading for it.Before I went out and bought bullets I just wanted to see what everyone has loaded for the 220gr's.I saw the post about some people 200gr's but want to load up the bigger ones.What loads and what specific bullets are you guys using?

My other question is this,will the 200gr Barnes TSX be the equivilent of a 220gr bullet.I do not know much about these particular bullet but have heard that they are awesome.My main goal is for this too be my mountain rifle (shooting Sheep,Goats, Black Bear & Caribou but will run into the occasional Brownie).Will this bullet at a lesser weight perfrom as well as the 200gr Swift A-Frames,Woodleigh Power Points,or Sierra GameKings?

I know this is alot at once,but any help will be GREATLY appreciated.Thanks-Tim

Murphy has loaded and shot the 325 a bunch. Maybe he'll chime in.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. But I'm just getting in to reloading. I've shot factory load 200 gr accubonds and my Kimber shoots them sub moa. I took a sheep at 400yds and moose at 350 with the accubonds and they worked fine. Recovered the bullet from the moose. Wieghed 140gr. About what nosler says they will retain for weight. The 200gr barnes tsx will supposedly retain much more weight.

I do however want to load up some 220's since I can for the 325. Since I'm just getting started and still have 2 boxes of factory 200gr AB's I'm going to load up some 220gr GameKings. I talked to Sierra and that bullet was designed for the 8mm mag. It has a heavier jacket than lighter 8mm bullets. I also like the fact that it's a boat tail. It has a very high bc. I had Sierra work up some balistics for me and it packs a good wallop out at 300+ yds. Drop is about like the 200gr ab's. Might get the accuracy of the 200gr AB but have a 220 gr at impact. And they are cheap! I'll shoot them into something along with the accubonds and see how they compare. Just for fun.

But, for 220's and griz I think the best bet would be the swift a frames. Maybe the 150 hornady interlocks or 175 gr Sierra Pro Hunters for sheep hunting with a few 220 A-Frames for the hike through bear country. 220 gr A-frame at 2700fps at close range would be good bear medicine.

Or, keep it simple and just use the 200 TSX's or Accubonds. If your gun shoots them good it seems like a great combo between good balistics and weight retention, etc. When I shoot up my AB's I might have to try some tsx's.

Lots of choices. I guess we need to find what our guns shoots best and go from there. At this point mine likes the 200gr accubonds but that's all I've shot through it. But truth is, I can kill whatever I want with that round. I'm not interested in big brownies. But I would not hesitate to lower the boom on an interior griz with the 200gr AB's.

There are some guys loading the 325 over at netrifle.com

One guys swears by the 200gr nosler partitions.

Go to www.Hodgdon.com and look it up. They have many loads.

Thanks,but I have all the loading data.I was wanting to see what everyone was having luck with and if anyone had field experience with the listed bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by tjkanavel View Post
    Thanks,but I have all the loading data.I was wanting to see what everyone was having luck with and if anyone had field experience with the listed bullets.
    A guy over at netrifle.com shot an elk and a couple other critter with 220 factory load powerpoints.

Talking lightvsheavy

I might be wrong but to my way of thinking, a bullet such as the Barnestsx 200 gr that retains close to 100% weight retention, would compare ballistically to a 300 gr bullet that retained 70%. So to me, it's more important with what one ends up with than what what one started with. Does this make sense? This is why premium bullets allow lighter bullets to be used and get same or better penetration as much heavier conventional bullets, not to mention gaining a little move velocity and trajectory...if this matters to the individual.