Thread: Denatured alcohol ?

Default Denatured alcohol ?

Not sure what forum to have put this in so I'll try this one I just bought a boat the other day and it has a Origo 4000 2 burner stove it says to use denatured alcohol. What is that ? and were do I get it ? The stove has never been used .

Thanks
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I believe that you can get it at Fred Meyers and similar places in the painting section.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Not sure what forum to have put this in so I'll try this one I just bought a boat the other day and it has a Origo 4000 2 burner stove it says to use denatured alcohol. What is that ? and were do I get it ? The stove has never been used .

Thanks
    Denatured Alcohol is Standard marine stove fuel. Important to use the proper fuel. Alcohol is used to reduce CO2 output for in cabin use. Any place paint products are sold and West Marine.

Thanks !!!!!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

It seems that the stoves in Europe are oft times Alcohol stoves, and we get many visitors to the canoe trail system each year that bring their own stoves. I keep some Denatured Alcohol just for the European visitors.
    One thing about it, is that it burns very constant. you can light a cup of it, and it will burn for 30 min.
    The flame is sometimes so faint to see that you can burn your self very easily thinking it has gone out.
    at night it shows as a very nice blue flame with yellow and white edges
    I use it in my meat smoker as I can regulate it easily and it leaves no residual flavor like some other fuels.
    I have tried Methanol in replacement , and it has a distinct odor and will absorb itself into food, albiet it burns almost exactly the same.
    At $12 or more per gallon it is not a cheap fuel option.
    Hope you enjoy the stove though, as it is a proven and pretty safe method of cooking and heating spaces.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Wallmart, Fred Meyers and pretty much any hardware store... it will be in the painting section

I have enjoyed making alcohol burning stoves from pop cans, water bottles, etc. Get info here: http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

Here is a pic of one burning:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NRA Lifetime Member

cheapest i have found it is AIH cheaper by the gallon