Thread: got my black bear today, but it was like 70 degrees...

Default got my black bear today, but it was like 70 degrees...

ok, shot my black bear, gutted it adn ahd it in my house in 1 hour.....quartered it up, etc and put it in the freezer to chill it down before I cut it into steaks, etc...

Is this ok, seems warm to me, but the meat looked and smelled AWESOME.....

Also, I use Mortons smoke flavored sugar cure on moose, pork, etc...even for just a few days adn it comes out great...anyone used this? I used it to smoke my moose, man, it ws great..

So, how do you guys smoke your bear? Strips or hang a quarter whole? I'ts up to 75 here, my smoke house is enclosed so, is this too warm to smoke a bear...or to warm to eat a bear?
    Scotty in the AK bush

I don't see why it wouldn't be good, I guess you better fry up some back strap and see?

I don't do any smoking on anything except salmon and trout, but I always dry up a bunch of the tough meat, usualy enough to fill 2-1 gallon freezer bags, I cut it real thin and put it on the dryer with a little salt, and dry it for about 12 hours, till its really dry, and put it in the freezer, I then put some in a quart size bag and take it on the trapline or when I'm hunting, good snack.

oh, and I trim off all the fat, it will go rancid if you don't.

I worked in a slaughterhouse that could get up in the high 80's in the summer... Body temp of an animal will be around 98*, so even at 70 it will start to cool a little bit. You did everything right, sounds like. Enjoy the good eats!

I don't see why it wouldn't be a good temp to smoke a bear, it will likely be much warmer than that in your smoker (depending on how you do it...)

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I wouldn't necessarily recommend trying to smoke a bear quarter whole, as it may be difficult to reach internal temps necessary to kill trichinosis cysts. If you are going to smoke it, I would recommend cut it into strips.

If you are worried about game spoiling in 70 degree temps you better not hunt down south in the lower 48!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.