Thread: 300 RUM VS 340 Weatherby Mag, Which is best for Moose

Red face 300 RUM VS 340 Weatherby Mag, Which is best for Moose

I just have a question on what to bring to Alaska on my moose hunt this fall. My 300 Rum with 180 or 200 Barnes bullets,this is a Savage 116fss with custom 3 pound trigger. Or my 340 Weatherby Mag. with 225 or 250 Barnes bullets. Both rifles have 26" barrels with brakes on them. My 340 has a 2.5 X 8 Khales scope. My 300 RUM has a 3.5 X 10 Ziess. Both rifles shoot like a dream. Both have synthetic stocks.

Thumbs up moose, either one will do

barko;

i too have a .340 wthby, with 2.5-8x36mm leupold on it and 26" barrel with a pad and brake. to me, the only time to use this set up is on big bears or moose. so if you have it now is the time to use it. i shot a moose with it in the neck, the bull could not hit the ground fast enough. i use 250 gr. n.p. works like a bolt of lightning out of the heavens.

because you have it, why not use it? of course, the .300 would cleanly do the job as well. i would use a 200 gr. n.p. for that set up.

Default only 2 choices?

If that was my choices I'd go with the .340 mag

Default my experience for what it's worth

can't speak for the 340, but I had a hunting partner take a fork horn a couple years ago with a Remington Sendero 300 RUM (180gr Scirocco "Remington Premium"). The bull was less than 50 yards looking straight at him. Aimed center chest and fired. The bull dropped. Upon quartering, we found the bullet between the right shoulder and chest cavity. The bullet hadn't penetrated 10 inches!!! There was no internal damage to the heart and lungs. The bull fell dead, we guess, because of the shock. That's a lot of foot pounds hitting you at that close distance. The bullet was completly destroyed. All that was left was the outside copper jacket, all the lead was gone. Awful bullet performance. If using the 300 RUM go to 200 or 220gr bonded ammo.

I'm sure this was an isolated incident and not indicative of the great performance this round is known for. However, if it had been a large bull and not a fork horn, I wonder if it would have taken multiple shots to bring down?????

That round was designed for long range performance on whitetail size game. I have my doubts about it at very close ranges on large game (only because of this experience). My partner didn't abandon the 300 RUM for moose, just went to heavier bonded bullets.

Side note: it (the scirocco's) performed flawlessly on a caribou at a ranged 462 yards. Dropped the caribou in it's tracks. Awesome shot.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default .300 RUM gets my vote

I used my 300 RUM to take a bull moose at 330 yards with using 180 gr triple shocks. Two shots right behind the shoulder. First one recked his day and the second literally upended him. All we were feet. Total distance travelled, 10 feet horzontally and 4 feet straight down, with a half twist. Complete penetration on both shots. I wouldn't hesitate to use either round. Just use a good bullet.

Go with the .340
    I think that either would work with good bullets, like others said I like the Barnes bullets, or the partition, or bear claw.

Default either one

You won't go wrong with either one. Both are FINE guns and will for all purpose, kill any Alaskan animal very dead. The question asked is almost like what is better, Ford or Chevy, both have their goods and bads and both ultimately do the same job. You won't go wrong with either one rifle using premium bullets. I prefer barnes TSX myself.

the 340 with 225gr

or a 338 win with 225
    Alaska

If you are bringing a two rifle case bring em both. Case one get dropped or run over. Can't go wrong either way.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Bring which ever gun you don't mind getting all banged up. Hopefully you'll be out in the bush rompin through some thick stuff.

If you like shooting long distances than a 165g Barnes loaded hot in the 300 RUM would be just fine through the heart of any moose.

I just used my 340 on a sheep @ 260 yards & my moose @ 100 yards 225 gr tipped triple shocks performed perfect
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

both guns will be more than sufficient enough to do the deed on a big bull moose, i killed my 63" bull with a TSX Barnes 180grn from a 300RUM, 1st shot through the top of the back & dropped him in his tracks, ( i was above him ) then he stood up turned broadside & i put another through his left shoulder that sealed the deal, shot distance only 95yrds. maybe you should let your wife or girlfriend decide or get both of their opinions & take that gun that way they can feel like they helped you make a crucial decision in deciding which weapon you take as you REALLY cant go wrong anyway with either gun, hahaha just teasing bout asking the wife/gf dont let either know about the other, they tend to not see the humor in it.

Check the post date

Holy old post, Batman
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Like one of these threads would not get started any day now.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

He has been in the bush along time now.........its time to go home!
    Alaska

I head this poor feller is still lost out in the woods...what happened was he shot a few times in the spruce, and the loud blast from the muzzle brake did permanent damage to his ears...he's not far from a road, but can't hear the shots or shouts of the search and rescue...

My two cents: bring either of those guns...or better yet, a .338 - without a brake.

I just can't believe how many posts it took for someone to notice the original post date!