Thread: First time drifting for Kings

Default First time drifting for Kings

This will be my first time drifting for kings on the Kenai. Any advice you could give me would be helpful (which section, put in take out) I will be there for Monday the 6th of June. Thanks in advance.

Tim

Put in at Centenail Park in Soldotna, and take out the the Pillars Boat Landing. This is probly the most common trip. I would plan on at least 4 hours depending on how much you row/fish or just cruise to the holes you wnat to fish.

The take out at the Pillars can be a little tricky if there are a lot of boats. I usually hit the beach right above the take out where there is some slack water, have someone walk up to get the truck and then row the boat around to the ramp. It can get crowded at the ramp espically if boats are left just sitting on the ramp.

It can be dangerou to try and tie up to the floating dock as you come drifting by. I have seen people try this and it is very difficult with oars in the way and what not, and no one likes to drift past their take out.

Have fun and good luck.

That's a nice float from Centennial to the Pillars. On June 6th I don't think the ramp at the Pillars will be that crowded. If it is it will be other driftboats and that's manageable....power boats drive me crazy!

Thanks guys, I am looking forward to this trip. The weather is starting to get warm here so will be ready for cooler temps and some fun....

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    That's a nice float from Centennial to the Pillars. On June 6th I don't think the ramp at the Pillars will be that crowded. If it is it will be other driftboats and that's manageable....power boats drive me crazy!
    is it the power boats or the people that run them? i could just as easy say the same about drift boats..........bottom line we all have a right to the river.

If I could say one thing it would be to stay off the oars, people have a tendency to paddle to much........ don't worry about it even if your pulling plugs. I have heard threw a few people the water is way low so I don't think you will run into as many people unless it comes up in a hurry. But then again it is the kenai.............

I haven't been by this week, but on the 21st, the Pillars dock was still sitting in the parking lot with a lot of gravel showing.

I was at the Pillars today. The water is a little higher, but it's murky. I think it will be a while before the dock goes in.