Thread: 348 ai

Default 348 ai

Does anyone have Loading Data for the 348 Ackley Improved that they are willing to share? I have a Browning 71 being rechambered that I will be loading for.

Thanks,

Larry

One of the regulars on here has one, and maybe two if memory serves. Hopefully he'll spot this and pipe up, because I don't recall who it is.

The common "prescription" for AI's is to start with factory equivalents and work up.

I know there are loads in Ackley's Volume I (p. 465-466, as a matter of fact), but I won't quote them. I've found many of his max loads to be scary, if not downright dangerous. I haven't worked with the 348 AI, so I can't tell you if the loads in this caliber qualify. He claims 2710 fps with 200 grain bullets and 4350 (compared to 2469 fps for factory loads in a standard chamber). A 240fps gain gives me a clue that his max may be a bit hottish. He's also listing loads to push a 250 grain bullet faster (2530fps) than the factory 200's. Another clue, sorry to say.

Back too many years ago I played with the .348 ackley . Anyone in know takes P.O.Ackley's published loads with a bag of salt , God bless him . I started experimenting and was getting unbelievable fps , got nervous and called Ken Waters who told me I was o.k. . Sad to say the rifle and data dispappeared in the world's messiest divorce in '98 so I can't give you any data but can tell you that it's a worthwhile project . Good luck

Hope this help you out.

~ Lars

Thanks Guys,

That info helps a lot and gives me a place to start from. I lost my volume one of PO's book and data is hard to come by.

Larry

I figured this thread was dead, so I didn't get back with some recent info. I heard from a long lost friend who has one, and he reported great happiness with the Hawk 250 grain FP and 4350. He couldn't recall the exact charge he's using other than it was pretty hot, but was fairly slobbering with his accounts of performance on moose and elk.

Thanks BB I have some 250 and 270 Grn ready to order. I picked my rifle up last month from Gator in Kenai and am waiting on the dies from RCBS. I will fire form some brass (Pistol Powder/TP/Cream O Wheat/ Wax) and be ready to work some loads. I have a good supply of Barns 220 and 250's on hand to start with. The rifle is a Browning 71 24" Bbl. I didn't want to mess up my orignal Winchester 71. Should be a fun project for this winter. Thanks for the help.

Larry