Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what gun oil to use in alaska??????????

Default what gun oil to use in alaska??????????

What oil will stand up to Alaska's weather for wet cold weather hunting-below freezing and rust protection

I use Eezox for all my gun cleaning needs. Read the following tests and makr YOUR own choice.

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Yes. I read two or three tests of oils and Eezox came out on top for rust protection. I have seen not a lot about friction tests. Thinking to coat my rifle with Eezox and after it dries, put a few drops of Nyqil in the action spots. My thinking.

I'm offended that they didn't add hoppes No 9 to that list....

NAHh ! Hoppes #9 is a cleaner and NOT a protectant. I do love the smell though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have used G-96 for protection of my rifles for years, It will not freeze also. I have a friend that swears by MP from Amsoil. Rem-oil also seems to work well. Keep them clean and oiled after each drenching.

Hah? What?
    You guys use gun oil?

On my guide gun, "Big Ugly", I use whatever gun oil my client-hunter might run through the barrel or rub onto any other exposed metal areas of my gun.
    Perhaps, if I used more gun oil, of any type, "Big Ugly" would be less rusty-brown and more "factory-blued".
    But if I did all, or any of that gun care stuff, who would be cooking the rib-eye steaks for dinner?

dennis

I looked online about this EEZOX stuff. Youtube video as well. Those rust tests seem to good to be true. Something was said about Eezox, and it was that water did not bead when in contact with Eezox. Water beads on oil, silicone, teflon, and wax but not on Eezox and yet it had very little rust on its test piece. If it is not repelling salt water why does it work so much better than all the others???

Never heard of EEZOX. Where can I buy some locally in/around Anchorage to try it out? Anyone sell it in the large 1 gallon jugs?

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    NAHh ! Hoppes #9 is a cleaner and NOT a protectant. I do love the smell though.
    HaHa I know, I was ust foolin.

Rem Oil is good stuff.

I've always used Break-Free.
    Now what ?

Kroil is my choice as a powder and carbon solvent and lubricant. It is a thin, moisture resistant penetrating liquid that doesn't gel up in freezing temps and tends to stay in place after cycling through several rounds. It goes on thin and stays that way.

CLP was good enough for me when i was in the Marines. If its good enough for the Marines it good enough for me. It never failed me in the Corps and never failed me since. Just dont get carried away wiht it!!

I have been using Tetra Gun Oil since it first came out years ago and it seems to work well. I am probably behind the times though. Never heard of EEZOX. Better check it out, I'm all for what works best. None of it smells as good as the old Hoppes #9 cleaning solvent. If it came in a after shave I would have my wife get me some for Christmas!

If you are going to get Eezox, make sure you know if you are getting the synthetic or not. They are very different animals. I have the synthetic and it does not seem to prevent rust as well as the standard stuff my buddy uses. The synthetic is very thin and dries leaving a thin film behind which is great for the internals, but falls short on exterior protection. If I'm going on a hunt the internals get Eezox synthetic and externals get wiped down with marine grade fogging oil, that stuff works like a champ and cheap too!
    I have also use Amsoil synthetic trans fluid and that works pretty darn good as well.

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    I have also use Amsoil synthetic trans fluid and that works pretty darn good as well.
    It's tough to beat ATF (synthetic or otherwise) as a protectant for firearms. A little goes a long ways...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Gunslick. Nuff said.
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Angry

Wow, I just got blocked from viewing 6mmbr as a website cause it's content was listed as "Weapons:Sports Recreation"

I'm wirelessly searching from a California medical buildings complex, so i guess that figures, but can you imagine that? Blocked out from 6mmbr (i think that means Benchrest !!) site cause of the word weapons,....

Anyway, can't wait to get home to my stash of Kroil, which I just started using after reading all about it on these forums,
    that is definitely an impressive oil, so when I finally found some, I bought all they had down at the fuel dock in Kodiak, only place I could find, and should be using that for some time as a result.

I am really the type to go for the "Special label oils" though my Dad would have mentioned ATF and been done with it,....and he really did know a bit about all that,

So I gotta ask, has anyone messed around with "Corrosion Bloc" for their firearms protection?
    I think it's spelled without the k at the end, comes out foamy blue

It is a Stunningly Effective "just does what it says" kind of oil
    we use for all things Marine in the offshore industry.
    So my shotgun, that stays onboard just about yr round, is coated heavily with Corrosion Bloc, and takes the environment well.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Used EezOx for many years with no complaints, same can be said for Rem-Oil and TriFlow. Within reason, which product one chooses to care for their firearm or any other item, has far less to do with favorable results than actualy using it when needed, and then those times in between when it is not needed. Pick one and use it, then use it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast