Thread: Looking for a Family Friendly Fishing Spot within the Anchorage Bowl

Default Looking for a Family Friendly Fishing Spot within the Anchorage Bowl

Hello,

I am trying to find a place where I can take my family and get them on some rainbows, or grayling, or char. I have to boys ages 4 and 6 and I just want to be able to catch some fish. We are up for either lake or stream, Does anybody have any ideas. I am thinking about a day trip on Monday, hopefully the crowds won't be to bad. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks for the help.

Travis

There are a lot of stocked lakes in the anchorage area. Here is a link

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...on&MgtAreaID=1

There are more if you want to drive to wasilla/palmer which is about 30-40 mins away.

Little Campbell Lake in Kincaid park is the most "remote" location. If you walk back behind the lake, it feels like you're out of Anchorage. Otherwise, both Jewel Lake and Cheney Lake are easy access.
    Download the free Alaska fishing app FISH FINDER for Iphone!
    www.alaskatacklerental.com

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    There are a lot of stocked lakes in the anchorage area. Here is a link

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...on&MgtAreaID=1

There are more if you want to drive to wasilla/palmer which is about 30-40 mins away.
    Do you have any experience in any of these lake, we tried Jewel, and Campell point lake last year with no luck, any thoughts.

Thanks

When did you try? Spring fishing brings the fish close to shore, making it easier for your kids. I used to fish Little Campbell a lot. I always fished behind it. Here's a short list of tackle to try

single eggs/popcorn shrimp under a bobber
    small lures size 0-1 - (chrome vibrax, mepps blackfury)
    wet flies - (prince nymph, black wooly bugger) - if you can see fish within 15-20 of shore, these will kill even if you're using a spinning rod. You just have to give them a little life (slight jerks)

If you're willing to drive, you ought to go to the valley. Tons of promising lakes. Or, try going towards portage. I caught several (what I assume to be landlocked salmon) in Airstrip/Willow Lake just about a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtheroad View Post
    When did you try? Spring fishing brings the fish close to shore, making it easier for your kids. I used to fish Little Campbell a lot. I always fished behind it. Here's a short list of tackle to try

single eggs/popcorn shrimp under a bobber
    small lures size 0-1 - (chrome vibrax, mepps blackfury)
    wet flies - (prince nymph, black wooly bugger) - if you can see fish within 15-20 of shore, these will kill even if you're using a spinning rod. You just have to give them a little life (slight jerks)

If you're willing to drive, you ought to go to the valley. Tons of promising lakes. Or, try going towards portage. I caught several (what I assume to be landlocked salmon) in Airstrip/Willow Lake just about a week ago.
    Thanks so much for the help. I think we will head to willow creek and then willow lake and try that. I really appreciate the help. Will the above tackle work for willow lake?

Thanks for the help,

Quote Originally Posted by thammond003 View Post
    Thanks so much for the help. I think we will head to willow creek and then willow lake and try that. I really appreciate the help. Will the above tackle work for willow lake?

Thanks for the help,
    If you don't mind can you please report back afterwards? I am a novice on the hunt for some kid frienly areas myself.

Are you talking about Willow Creek on the Parks HWY? If so, you should know that you can't keep any rainbows until June 14, and can't ever keep grayling. You can't use bait or treble hooks. Plus, I'm not sure if you've taken your kids to a stream to fish, but often the best holes are only accessible with waders, and currents tend to knock kids over. To be honest, I'm not familiar at all with Willow lake. Of course, we could be talking about two different places entirely, seeing as how willow is as common as moose, bear, trail, etc.

Edit: I will be adding a KID FRIENDLY section to my Iphone app soon. Get ready for trout, pinks and chum!

Kepler-Bradley system of lakes is family friendly. There's 9 or so lakes all accessable by vehicle or short walk. Rainbow trout and Char, boat rentals are sometimes available, fish bite easy but are a bit smallish. (kids don't care)

get there by heading out on the Glenn, then take to exit toward Palmer. couple miles after the exit you turn left into a state campground/rec area.

we go there all the time

Finger Lake just outside Wasilla is very popular too.

I want to thank all that participated in this discussion. The family and I are headed out on Monday. I will post back hopefully with pictures. If you would like to keep discussing new places and techniques I am up for it. Hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtheroad View Post
    Edit: I will be adding a KID FRIENDLY section to my Iphone app soon. Get ready for trout, pinks and chum!
    Just downloaded it to my iPad. Looks good. Do you happen to have an Android version of that App?

AK Chappy

Android should be coming mid June, and about 100 more locations within 2-3 weeks. Its a work in progress (still fixing bugs, if you haven't noticed :P)