Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best tent for under $175???

Default Best tent for under $175???

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, but what tent would you choose for under $175? It will be used for a caribou drop hunt in early/mid September. Thanks.

Default How many occupants?

Kelty Gunnison 4. It has a vestibule that goes to the ground. It is roomy and fairly light (for a 4-man tent) at 9 lbs. Roomy for 2 guys, cozy with 3 (and gear). I love this tent; we sleep the opposite way that it shows on the diagram though. Priced right too-$170!

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Tim

I have a couple questions for you.
    1) How many people will be sleeping in the tent?
    2) Why on earth are you setting such a low budget for for a shelter to hunt on the tundra?

IMO there are some places to consider less expensive gear, but a tent for Alaskan weather isn't one of them. Not to be over dramatic, but a blown down POC tent could possibly cost you your life.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

You didnt say how many people would be in the tent. If there will be only two then you should have lots of options. If you are thinking of more than you might want to rethink your money limit.
    The tent will be what most dictates how enjoyable you are on your hunt. It is what keeps you warm and dry, it what you will be spending at least of third of your time in. If your tent fails, be it leaks, rips, collapses, condensation you will be miserable. Do not skimp.
    That being said look for aluminum poles and the more the stronger. Depending on where your hunting there might not be many places to set it up out of the wind, so I would highly recommend a 4 season tent.
    Do a search of the recent tent post on here there are many more suggestions than I could tell you. If its a drop hunt where you wont be moving around then weight will not be a huge factor. This should help keep cost down as lighter=exspensive.
    Remember any amount of time in a collasped tent, flapping in 70 mph winds will not be fun. It could be life and death. Dont let money be the determining factor in your decision.

http://www.findmeatent.com/

and ebay

This one looks pretty good. NorthFace Mtn 24 4 season

These are bombproof NorthFace VE 24

There will only be two of us, and we will be sleeping in seperate tents. Therefore I am wanting a 2 person tent. Thanks.

I've mainly been looking at 3 season tents...Kelty, NF, Marmot, and Mountain Hardware. I've heard that 4 season tents are better for wind and heavy snow, but 3 season tents are better for wet conditions because they breathe better and don't built up condinstation inside like 4 season tents do. I'm just not sure what to do.

Anyone know anything about The North Face Starlight Starfire?

Default Combat Tent

E-bay "USMC Combat Tent" I think you will like this tent for what you are doing. I know I am happy with the one I bought. Be sure to seal the seams on the rainfly if you happen to get a new one like I did.

Default Marmot

The Twilight 2P is a great little tent little bit over 5lbs. bucks the wind good and vents well too.Used two of them on sheep hunt last year.Campmor has them on sale.Coues

for that kind of money I would use ebay for sure. top quality tenst are gonna run $250.00 minimum for last years model. you are going to be in an area where the weather can get nasty enough to hole you up in your tent, if it does not hold up, what is your plan? 4 season tents do not breathe as well as 3 season tents, but you can always crack the door and get some venting. I personally have a sd 4 season and a bunch of 3 season tents and if I were gonna be in big wind country I would want all the poles I can afford.

More poles make sense, but a lot of 3 season tents have 3 poles, the same as many 4 season tents.

A true 4 season mountaineering bombproof tent will have atleast 4 or 5 aluminum poles. There are some crossover tents with 3 poles that are kind of a 3 and half season tent. You also want lots of guy outs so you can tie that sucker down. You can vent a 4 season tent easy, they make them that way. But I'd rather wake up with a little condensation though than wake up with a flattened shreaded tent in 50 mph wind and rain. It could turn a hunt into a survival mission.

Early and mid september in Alaska can be more like winter in the lower 48. You could have a foot or two of snow and 50+ mph winds. Get a bombproof tent. It could save your life. I have a friend who got blown off a mtn in a three season tent in august and almost died. 3 season small 2 man North Face tent.

Cut out a few ham sandwiches and sodas or whatever it takes and spend some more money and buy a good tent.

my .02

Default I would recommend this one

okbowman

first off I agree that you should get the best tent you can afford. Been there done that with inferior tents. Alaska can bite you in the ***** quick and out of nowhere. With that said,,,,I know what it is like to be on a budget and not have $500+ to spend on a tent.

I picked this tent up for a sheep hunt. It's a two man. It packs easy and sets up quick. It has aluminum poles, small vestibule (comes in handy for putting your boots, pack, etc out of the rain), fully covering rainfly, and you can stake it down (don't care for a free standing tent). Two grown men can sleep in it comfortably without spooning each other, or smelling each others feet.

I have used in on sheep hunts, caribou hunts, remote fishing, and hiking. It's been a good tent, still is a good tent. Yes it's a coleman, colemans aren't known for making high end gear, but the exponent series was their line of "better than average" gear. I think I paid $140 bucks for it on Wainwright. I'm careful where I set up my tent, the terrain, wind direction, etc. I've never had a problem and it's weathered some pretty good storms. It's breaths exceptionally well (with the rainfly attached). If you remove the rainfly, its pretty much all no-seeum mesh on the top. No condensation problems. Cool in the summers, warm in the fall. I wouldn't take it to Kodiak or expect it to withstand tornado winds, but it wasn't made for that either.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...tegoryid=24761
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

I took everyones' advice and bought a 4-season off e-bay tonight. It is a The North Face Starlight Starfire. Does anyone know anything about this tent? Is is okay for my stated purpose?

Looks like a 4 season version of the old 3 season Bullfrog. Looks good. Aluminum poles that cross in several places, good shape to shed the wind and lots of guy outs. Looks like you got it for $125 bucks. Pretty skookum deal if you ask me. Now, hopefully in a few months you can post some picks of that thing pitched in Alaska with some dead animals around it!

Yeah, I paid $125 for it. I'm pretty happy for my first purchase off e-bay. Besides, if I decide I don't like it I figure I can always sell it and get my money back. Now it's time to find a footprint for it, and a sleeping bag. I will definately post pics of my trip.

Quote Originally Posted by okbowman View Post
    Yeah, I paid $125 for it. I'm pretty happy for my first purchase off e-bay. Besides, if I decide I don't like it I figure I can always sell it and get my money back. Now it's time to find a footprint for it, and a sleeping bag. I will definately post pics of my trip.
    I make my own foot prints out of plastic, heavy mil, or tyvek I pitch my tent, and trace its outline on the material with a black pen, add a "strap" at each of the pole locations, cut the patternt a bit too small, and the straps I put a piece of duct tape on them for strength, then pop a grommet in them. all materials can be had for a song and they work as well or better then fabric but save you $$$$$$$$$$$

Default Tent Experiences

I have tried numerous tents from Coleman, Eureka, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, MSR, etc. and experienced broken poles from high winds, broken zippers, weak stiching, poorly designed rainflys, etc. If you start with the following, you will whittle down your choices: (1) A double wall tent (tent and rainfly are seperate); (2) Rainfly extends very close to the ground all the way around the tent; (3) A bathtub floor (the floor seams are 6-8" up the wall of the tent); (4) Aluminum shock-corded poles (5) Availability of replacement parts.

We enjoyed the lighter weight of the light weight backpacking tents but long-durability is an issue. We kept coming back to the Eureka Tents. They weren' t the lightest tents but are very dependable and durable.

If you want to save yourself some time, look at what the guides/outfitters or the Boy Scouts use. If it can put up with the regular use on backpacking trips. You can't go wrong with A-frame tents like the Eureka Timberline http://www.eurekatent.com/timberline2.asp or the Eureka Timberline 2XT. Excellent tents and replacement parts available.

I wanted a little more room and settled on the Eureka Assault Outfitter 4 http://www.eurekatent.com/assaultoutfitter4.asp. Sleeps 3 comfortable. This tent is scout proof. The doors unzip to the floor instead of to the side and you need to roll up to prevent stepping to the fly. My son and I have used the tent on hunting trips in the winter and fly fishing trips in the summer working out of a basecamp; and 10 day backpacking trips at altitudes of 8,000 to 12,400 ft. Yes, the tent is a little heavy, 13lbs., staying warm and dry is worth it and having room for a game of Texas Holdem is an added bonus.

Regards,
    Jeff Fallon

Default Kelty

Kelty Gunnison as mentioned earlier. Go to www.campmor.com. The 4 person is perfect for 2 people. Fantastic tent for the money ($160). Very wind/water resistant design. Not overly heavy to lug around. Great value!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast