Thread: Question? Possible goof...

Default Question? Possible goof...

I do not reload for my .480 often. The loads will be used in a Puma M92. The other day I was loading some 410gr(WFNGC) ahead of 20gr of H110. I reloaded about 20 then I realized I had forgotten to use the expander die. What potiential problems have I created? The bullets seated normally and the cases are not damaged. The rounds look like any other I have loaded. Thanks for your comments.
    Pete

pak,
    I see no problems - as long as they slide into your gun normally they should go bang!
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Expander dies are used to bell case mouths to insure that cases aren't damaged when bullets are inserted. If your bullets went in as normal and crimped well enough to hold the bullets under recoil. They should be a good. What usually happens is you get a slight bulge which makes the ammo hard to chamber due to the bullets bulging a case.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Expander dies are used to bell case mouths to insure that cases aren't damaged when bullets are inserted. If your bullets went in as normal and crimped well enough to hold the bullets under recoil. They should be a good. What usually happens is you get a slight bulge which makes the ammo hard to chamber due to the bullets bulging a case.
    Yup, or shaves off the side of the bullet on the case mouth as itís forced in. With jacketed bullets the jacket snags on the case mouth and crushes/crumples it down like pulling back a curtain on one side. If they look/feel normal and will chamber you are good ta go.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I wouldn't worry too much about it, if they seated normally. My only concern would be if they were cast bullets, getting shaved a little in the seating process. IE: they might get some of their diameter "downsized", thereby causing accuracy and leading problems. Most of the time jacketed bullets will crumple the case instead of getting shaved, but a few times I have also seen jacketed bullets get shaved.

You'll know you didn't flare the cases enough if you see lead shavings, or crumpled cases. Just examine the first 3 or 4 rounds closely, before doing the rest...

Also, with your 480 and heavy slugs (or 475, 460, 500, 454, 44mag, et-al) BE SURE the crimp is sufficient. I have seen heavy bullets back out of cases from heavy recoil. (this is exactly how inertia bullet pullers work, only the gun itself is doing it) A revolver can be rendered completely useless if a bullet backs out enough to project forward of the cylinder, causing the cylinder to not rotate. Just what you don't need during a bear attack. CRIMP'EM! Yes, I know, it shortens case life. However, better a case die, than you...
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

On the tube fed rifles, backing out isn't the problem like on revolvers as the recoil tends to pound them in because of spring pressure of the cartridge follower and rounds stacked on top of each other. And if you have a case full of powder, that doesn't happen either. But I wouldn't worry about not expanding if they went in ok.

Dang stupid forum rule: we're only allowed "20 minutes" to edit a post! WHY?????? I wasn't finished with my reply...needs to be changed to 1-hr, IMO.

Anyway, a hard crimp might not make any difference in a rifle, but it very well could in a revolver. The powder manufacturers generally suggest a good crimp with the usual powders used in large cases with heavy bullets anyway. I use a Lee "factory crimper" die myself...
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"