Thread: New Boat

Default New Boat

I took the plunge on Friday and bought a used Hyde Aluminum High Side. My main targets will be the Kenai, and the Kasilof. I have never rowed a drift boat before. I have rafted some, as well as rowed a 10' pontoon. I have all the life jackets I am going to need, and plan on buying a spare oar, as well as a throw bag, flares, and a first-aid kit. I will try to make my first few trips with someone that has floated the Kenai before.

Is there anything I am overlooking?

Are there any suggestions to make the maiden voyage a bit easier?

I went from a cat to a 16 foot clackacraft drifter last year. The basics are the same but the speed of the drift is much slower and workable in the drifter....Very nice to be able to hold a spot.....Stopping them is a bit different...I used to be able to give my oars a huge pull and stop my cat. It takes about 3 good ones in the drifter....You can feel it sit right down though. Dont overload it with people the first few times you float...Get used to the differences....They are a joy to have....
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

That sounds like very good advice Chuck. I will make sure to keep the weight down the first few trips. I am pretty stoked about this boat. I am about ready to drive down to get the boat.......lol

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by High_Pockets View Post
    That sounds like very good advice Chuck. I will make sure to keep the weight down the first few trips. I am pretty stoked about this boat. I am about ready to drive down to get the boat.......lol
    Hey High Pockets, do you still have your Hewescraft?

Hi Frost, I had some medical issues that the meds produced nausea, so I sold it. It may be up for sale again though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Hey High Pockets, do you still have your Hewescraft?
    I sold that last spring Frost.......It may be for sale again though

If you have never used a drift boat before, don't wear your self out. Newbies tend to over row the thing, and end up with blisters on hands the first time or two. After that you find that a lot less rowing is required to keep good control of your craft. Always keep the bow pointed away from potential problems or trouble, such as rocks, logs and other boats, so that a pull or two will keep you from hitting what you don't want to hit, they are a great way to cover water. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by High_Pockets View Post
    I sold that last spring Frost.......It may be for sale again though
    Yeah, I saw it sitting in the parking area in Whittier last weekend. Still looks good!!

Yeah, I saw it sitting in the parking area in Whittier last weekend. Still looks good!!
    Kick a person while he is down... "I saw it sitting in the parking area in Whittier las weekend. Still looks good!!" Jerk

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    Kick a person while he is down... "I saw it sitting in the parking area in Whittier las weekend. Still looks good!!" Jerk
    I was merely commenting that he took good care of it and the boat still looked good. I used to own that boat, but sold it to High Pockets in 2005. Bigger jerk.

I was merely commenting that he took good care of it and the boat still looked good. I used to own that boat, but sold it to High Pockets in 2005. Bigger jerk.

Whatever.......LOL