Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deshka fishing over memorial day weekend

Default Deshka fishing over memorial day weekend

I'm sure there will be people out fishing the Deshka this weekend. How is the run progressing, have any fish moved above the weir, or have then even started counting the weir yet. Only been on the Deshka a couple times but considering it if there are a few fish in it to make it worth while. I know it is still early, but looking for some fishing. Thanks, Bud

Kings have been caught already. First one was last week.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Weir went up today. 1st fish actually caught was on the 15th, I picked one up on the 19th myself. Channel 2 was out there today. Watch for there report tomorrow...probably going to be crazy out there this weekend. Little Su has also been producing some yum yums also

Here is a link to the weir count.....yesterday a total of 30 have passed.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...displayResults

One caution is the river is low and the ice does tend to change some of the channels. Go prepared and with extreme caution till a few boats have carved out the gravel and sand. Best bet is going to be at the mouth for better numbers.

what do you mean low? the big su or the deshka? I have never been down there this early before and was thinking about making a trip sunday. I run a 20 ft wille with a prop and power lift....never had problems beforem but wondering if I should wait?

The big su isnt low right now.. Im pretty sure he means the deshka.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Yes the Deshka.

ok thanks, i was just wondering, i heard the su was low and the deshka was high, so now it is low very nice!

Went up for thurs/fri/today. The river was getting higher, and we saw LOTS of kings gettin' reeled in. We only got one nice buck on the boat, but it was a hell of a time. It was scorching hot(I'm lobster red) all three days except this morning when it poured rain from opening bell(6am) until about 9am. Good fishing and an excellent time. Gonna try to get back up sometime this next week, but for the rest of the weekend I'm gonna focus on killing a bear. Just another day in paradise...
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

That's what was needed to bring the kings in....some rain.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    ok thanks, i was just wondering, i heard the su was low and the deshka was high, so now it is low very nice!
    I've found the best way to know is TO GO THERE YOURSELF..
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

very true.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    I went out there today as a matter of fact.

I went out there today as a matter of fact.

AND?????????????????

Was there sat and sun. Sat am saw about 8 pulled in. We hada nice one on but lost it. This was all from 6-8 am. Sat night was slow. No
    Fish saw caught from 7-9 . Sun am slow!! No fish until 7:20 then 2. One at 720 and one at 745. Could not believe nothing from 6-7. Saw 2 guides go up river. Saw one back at landing with what appeared to be a limit for his boat. About 35 boats at mouth today. Oh and I think every fish on sat was with bait and the two today was lures.

Was there this morning (Labor day monday) Fished 6 to 9:45 Am. 100 yards down from Porta-Ps & docks (just up from the slough).
    Water was rising as we fished. Current at the mouth of the D was all but stopped.
    saw 1 caught, heard of 2 or 3 more. Saw 1 roll. (all were just above cleaning station/dock)
    Su is high & getting higher. Lots of huge logs & gazillions of small floaters. Jets intake grids need cleaned out by the time you are back at the landing. Logs coming down the slough at the mouth.
    Good run but pay attention. some logs are dry & float high & easy to see, others wet & barely showing.
    Past few hot days has melted lots of snow & ice so probably be real high for a week or so.
    50 or so boats. Trollers did the catching, mostly. 1/4 mi. up from the clear water interface.
    My opinion, next week should tell the story for this year. Should be in, in numbers by then. If it is, should to be a good year.
    Deshka is high due to Su is high, D current slowed down as we fished.
    If I went back, I'd fish up higher where it starts to narrow some & current is running better.
    Also D water pretty murky, (could see lure about 3 feet down) should clean up some soon.
    I'm going to give it another 10 days or so before going back.
    Forgot thermometer, so ?? water temps.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    thanks for you useless post to by the way, and wasting every one's time.

Forevery one else water is high and lots of junk it in. I didn't have the proplem the jet guys did running a prop. The mouth of the deshka is dirty, and it is dirty for a little ways up stream. I went up stream a ways and found fish. Stopped at the mouth and didn't see any thing but boats on the way out. Honeslty I would have to say fishing itsn't bad but i imagine it will get better since it is a little early in the run yet.

On a side not i heard guys talking at the landing about fishing at the yetna or the mouth I guess? They said there was a good number of fish down lower.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Forgot thermometer, so ?? water temps.
    Water was 47.3* last Mon. After the warm weekend and a touch of rain, it's gotta be hovering around 50*, maybe more. Not positive though, had to head back to the slope on Tues. But word is as of yesterday, regardless of water temp, fish are being caught. Getting a bit better as more and more fish enter the Deshka.

water temp was 56-58 degrees showing on the fish finder....

thanks for you useless post to by the way, and wasting every one's time.

Forevery one else water is high and lots of junk it in. I didn't have the proplem the jet guys did running a prop. The mouth of the deshka is dirty, and it is dirty for a little ways up stream. I went up stream a ways and found fish. Stopped at the mouth and didn't see any thing but boats on the way out. Honeslty I would have to say fishing itsn't bad but i imagine it will get better since it is a little early in the run yet.

On a side not i heard guys talking at the landing about fishing at the yetna or the mouth I guess? They said there was a good number of fish down lower.
    No problem, glad I could help. Most of us don't care how the water is...we're going anyway. But I guess there are people like you that need to be "encouraged".
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast