Thread: 300 Rum

Default 300 Rum

As a general topic of discussion, I was curious to see if anybody had any experience with the .300 RUM, and the game hunted and harvested. I have heard and read, referring to Nosler's Reloading Manual, that this cartridge is recommended for Alaskan Brown Bear. Any comments?

Default should work

I'm sure you will get a variety of opninons. I 've seen this caliber used a lot for long distance shooting, but thats not what you really want for brown bear.
    Personally I have used it on goat, & bou & moose. I was using factory loaded Sciroccs & put a bigger exit hole in goat than I wanted ( dropped instantly though )
    This year I think I might change over to the TSX, which should work to break a bears shoulder without a problem especially on a griz or black.
    While I wouldn't be afraid to use it for browns I think you will hear the same old same old ..... nothing under 338 ....

I have two of them, 110grs of 8700 and a 180gr tsx is bad medicine and shoots well in both. it ain't a 416, but it does have some impressive range.
    It is worthless with light bullets for sure.

I wouldn’t hesitate to take it for BB. Have a friend with one and he put a black bear down with it and the bullet passed through both shoulders without a problem. I would say especially using the TSX bullet you wouldn’t have issues with penetration.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Well if you read the "223 for Caribou thread" you might get the impression from some that if it hasn't been around for a minnimum of 82 years it's no good.

300 RUM is just fine for BB if you put the right bullet in the right spot. I use mine for long range caribou with the 150 grain Swift Scirocco.

Default 300 um

I took a brown beer with it two years ago. I was using the Sciraco bullets. Bear was hit behind shoulder it took out the heart several ribs and almost went through the other side. I found the bullet and it was in one piece about the size of a nickel. One shot bear was down and did not move. I used the rifle this year on a caribou and also a moose. The moose was shot very close around thirty yeards. I found the bullet below the back starp in the opposit side again in one piece. If there was one drw back it seems that the bullet was shooting high at a ranger under fifty yards, but that could just have been me shooting. The bear was shot 75 yards away my caribou was about 100 yards. Bottom line great round great rifle, but ammunition is expensive and avaliability is some times a problem. Chef

Default 300 Rum

I have been a 338/375 fan for years. 3 years ago I bought a 300 RUM and its been on every hunting trip since. I personally love the 200 accubond for bou and sheep.
    When I'm after moose/bear I switch to the 200 TBBC. In both cases I use h870 and get between 3180 and 3220 over an ohler 33 chronograph. I have yet to recover a bullet. Pass throughs with some of the most devastating wound channels I've seen it 30+ years of hunting here. You can expect to loose some meat.
    The thing I like most is it takes the range guessing out. Many times hunting you don't have time to fiddle with a range finder. Sighting the accubond 3" high at 100 yds your +4"@200, right on at 315 and only -7.5 at 400 yds while retaining over 2900 FP of energy. Just hold on the vitals and make a good shot.
    JM.02

Default 300 Rum

I have shot a Black bear with mine and 5 Caribou all but one of the Caribou have been over 300 yards One good shot to the vitals has done the job everytime. I shoot 180 Grain Sciracco's in it. The gun (Remington 700) is incredibly accurate and knocked the snot out of the black bear. While I had considered a different round for Brown bear this spring I have decided to shoot the 180 Sciracco's. The other posts here have just backed up what I have experienced. My rifle has put three rounds under a nickel at 100 yards and that is good enough for me.

Default my brown bear

I took a brown bear several years ago on the river by Rainey pass at 65 yards. My first shot anchored the bear thru both front shoulders and the second shot finished it thru both lungs. I was using 200 grain nosler bullets from my 300 RUM. I think shot placement is the most important then caliber selection (that you shoot comfortably). Just my opinion .

An excellent cartridge for the biggest brown bears.

Default But....ouch.

I haven't hunted with one of these...but don't doubt it would do the job. Got to shoot a buddy's last fall when I was shoppin for a bear gun and.......HOLY SMOKES, did it give me a whop, Maybe I'm a wuss but I'm not lookin for the range that the RUM has so I'll stick with my 338, with my simms pad on it, it's actually fun to shoot and plenty of gun for me.

375AIGS....those are some impressive ballistics...but more gun than my skills could probably utilize.

I wouldn't sweat the ammo price....nothin's cheap anymore, but the availability is definitely a consideration depending on how far out you are goin. If you got stuck here in Dilly with no bullets due to an airline or alzheimers issue....the selection here not only pertains only to rounds that have been around for 80 plus years.....I think some of the boxes of said cartridges have been around for 80 plus years.

But, if you fly Penn Air, just put some in your pocket to be sure...they dont' do security LOL.

Default 300 RUM Exit channel

This is a picture of the damage done from a texas heart shot on a blackie. A friend of mine shot it and I don't remember the bullet weight or type. But it sure did its job.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default 300rum

I agree with most of the above posts except that it whops you more than a 338... I haven't experienced that!!! my 338 smacks you alot harder than my 300RUM. the 300 is a very accurate flat shooting machine. I am more and more impressed with every shot with my 300RUM. I love mine, shot placement is huge, but being able to handle big calibers is a whole new subject. You have to be able to shoot the gun well to get good shot placement!!