Thread: TVKC dog show

Default TVKC dog show

The dog show is coming to town. I know we have some pretty big breed snobs on here so this might be a great chance to see a few thoroughbreds. No Brittanys (Brittanies?) and no Jack Russells, but most of the other dogs that we talk about all the time should be there. JRT isn't AKC, but it seems like there would be a Brittany or two in the show.

BREED SAT SUN MON
    Basset 12:30 2:00 12:45
    GWP 9:00 10:30 9:00
    CBR 11:00 10:30 8:00
    Lab 9:00 9:00 8:00
    English 10:00 10:30 10:00
    Weimar 11:00 1:45 10:00

document_1679[1].pdf
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Default Misclassification

winston herding.jpg

I'm not sure why the Yorkshire Terriers aren't with the other herding dogs. If he were as big as a lab I would have one of the most fearsome hunters on the landscape.

Ya, pound for pound terriers are as tough as they get.
    They are a go anywhere dog if you need em' to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    The dog show is coming to town. I know we have some pretty big breed snobs on here so this might be a great chance to see a few thoroughbreds. No Brittanys (Brittanies?) and no Jack Russells, but most of the other dogs that we talk about all the time should be there. JRT isn't AKC, but it seems like there would be a Brittany or two in the show.

BREED SAT SUN MON
    Basset 12:30 2:00 12:45
    GWP 9:00 10:30 9:00
    CBR 11:00 10:30 8:00
    Lab 9:00 9:00 8:00
    English 10:00 10:30 10:00
    Weimar 11:00 1:45 10:00

document_1679[1].pdf
    Actually the JRT IS AKC, however the name was changed to "Parsons Russel Terrier" might be why you aren't able to find it..... http://www.akc.org/breeds/parson_russell_terrier/
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I'm a breed snob too and a Jack Russell is not the same as a Parson Russell, regardless of the American Kennel Club's opinion.

JRT's are working dogs. Not show dogs. It makes em' strong! show dogs are wussies

This all happened before AKC existed.

"Jack Russell(the human) was a founder member of the Great Britain Kennel club - however, he refused to register his own dogs under it. The reason is based in the difference between show-quality and working-quality dogs. Russell believed registration would lead to breeders striving to breed more and more beautiful show-quality dogs, in accordance with a breed standard, which, over generations, would start to erode the hunting instincts of the Jack Russell Terrier. This is the source of the split between the Parson Russell Terrier and the Jack Russell Terrier: in short, Parsons are show dogs and can be registered with the Kennel Club, while Jack Russells are working dogs and cannot. Kennel Club recognition is to this day a contentious issue for JRT enthusiasts."

Info accessed from this website-
    http://www.jack-russell-lover.com/ja...r-history.html
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

That's good information, Senor tailwind. I'll add a little on at the end, just in case someone is following the updates on old, dead Englishmen with bated breath. Parson John (Jack) Russell is detailed at length in Bill Bryson's book, At Home. In that book, Bryson describes Russell as a very typical country parson of the time period (18th century England), who had very little to do outside of preparing a sermon once a week. Being a parson was a federal job in those days, and he made a lot of money for doing relatively little. Having some money and land at his disposal, Russell set about the task of gardening and breeding dogs. It must have been a fine life that ol' Parson Russell lived.