Thread: Griz vs Black

Default Griz vs Black

Why is a harvest ticket required for a black bear but not for a griz? I would think it should be the other way around.

It depends on the unit you are hunting within. 6D requires a brown bear tag and a blackie tag. Unit 13 does not require a brownie tag.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave's examples are excellent. Make sure you read what's required in the GMU and in some cases sub-GMU you are hunting. Some require black bear harest tickets and some do not. Some require grizzly/brown bear harvest tickets and some do not. It has to do with the vbear populations and predator control.

Some units require the $25 locking tag for grizz also along with a registration tag.

I didn't think there was a paper "tag" or harvest ticket for brown bear, just the locking Big Game Tag for $25. And then the free (for residents) black bear harvest tickets. Am I off?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    I didn't think there was a paper "tag" or harvest ticket for brown bear, just the locking Big Game Tag for $25. And then the free (for residents) black bear harvest tickets. Am I off?
    Say unit three I need a locking tag plus registration form that needs to be filled and sent in at end of hunt period. I also hunt browns five miles away in unit one where I need a separate registration permit that needs to be filled out for hunt period.I will also have to do this for the fall hunt period.No big deal and its worth it
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I just think it's odd that a majority of black bear hunting areas need a harvest ticket and most of those areas do not need a locking tag or registration for brown/griz hunting. Seems a little backward seeing the numbers are mostly in favor of the black bear.

Not true. We quit baiting in Unit 13 because there were too many browns on the bait. The black bears were constantly being run off and chased as a food source.

We are such a large state, the biologists just have to do what ever they can to help control numbers of species with the limited funding that they have for population data in our harsh terrain.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Quick question about the brown furries

I went black bear hunting, but I ran into a grizz. It was a big (huge), beautiful, wild creature in every sense of all three words. It was eating on a moose that I assume it killed. Well, it's bear season and so I started thinking to myself about actually shooting this bear. I had a rest on a log and a 75-yard broadside shot. I was looking at him through the scope -thinking I could probably kill him DRT if I shot him in the eyeball, but otherwise I might have to go into the bushes. This isn't just some L48 opinion of bear size - it was a large one. So finally my better judgement won and I eased on down the ridge and left him alone with his moose.

I have been scouring the archives and I just want a bit of fresh information. Assuming I can kill it, what am I supposed to do with a huge dead bear that might or might not taste good? I've always been of the mindset that the meat was the trophy, so I can't figure out why I'd want to shoot a grizz - unless I'm misinformed about the quality of the meat.

It was mostly the thought of a truck-full of stinky grizz meat that kept me from getting him, but the part about going into the bushes after a wounded bear was definitely part of it.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I went black bear hunting, but I ran into a grizz. It was a big (huge), beautiful, wild creature in every sense of all three words. It was eating on a moose that I assume it killed. Well, it's bear season and so I started thinking to myself about actually shooting this bear. I had a rest on a log and a 75-yard broadside shot. I was looking at him through the scope -thinking I could probably kill him DRT if I shot him in the eyeball, but otherwise I might have to go into the bushes. This isn't just some L48 opinion of bear size - it was a large one. So finally my better judgement won and I eased on down the ridge and left him alone with his moose.

I have been scouring the archives and I just want a bit of fresh information. Assuming I can kill it, what am I supposed to do with a huge dead bear that might or might not taste good? I've always been of the mindset that the meat was the trophy, so I can't figure out why I'd want to shoot a grizz - unless I'm misinformed about the quality of the meat.

It was mostly the thought of a truck-full of stinky grizz meat that kept me from getting him, but the part about going into the bushes after a wounded bear was definitely part of it.
    Probably won't get a such a good scenario on a bear like that in a while. You should have broke bone and piled him up.

You do not legally have to salvage grizzly/brown bear meat, onlyl skull and hide. However, I took a interior grizzly two yers ago in the fall that was grazing on blueberries. I had heard the same thing about the meat so we took the backstraps to try it. It was great and even my 16 year old daughter liked it. If the bear wasn't rubbed, and I had the tag if needed, then I might have taken the shot. However, going in the bush alone after a wounded grizzly is not to be taken lightly. Good choice.

I would add that I had a 30-06 and 180s, so the eyeball was the only conceivable DRT shot. I'm also fairly certain that there is a meat salvage requirement up here right now.

I would add that I had a 30-06 and 180s, so the eyeball was the only conceivable DRT shot. I'm also fairly certain that there is a meat salvage requirement up here right now.
    Grizzly/Brown Bear meat is not required by law to be salvaged for sport killed bears.

Page 29 of the regulations......

Except in the Brown Bear Subsistence Areas, you are not required to keep the meat of a brown/griz- zly bear. If you take a brown/grizzly bear in any of these subsistence areas under a registration permit for subsistence purposes, you are required to sal- vage all meat for human consumption; salvage of the hide or skull is optional.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thank you Mr. Steve, that's good information. What does it cost to tan a bear hide? I am not into shooting things just for the sake of proving they will die when a bullet goes through their lungs - except coyotes... I'd shoot every one of those I saw, if I were to ever see one.

Thank you Mr. Steve, that's good information. What does it cost to tan a bear hide? I am not into shooting things just for the sake of proving they will die when a bullet goes through their lungs - except coyotes... I'd shoot every one of those I saw, if I were to ever see one.
    Last one I had done was about $50 a linear foot, so a 7 ft bear would be around 350 to 400 dollars plus, fleshing, removing the skull and feet, and then you have shipping to and from the tannery.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

What does "DRT" mean? I would save all the meat, if you can't eat it make it into sausage, burger or dogfood/trapping bait

if I shot one I would take the meat at leas from the hind quarters and the back straps, if it was spring I would take it all.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    What does "DRT" mean? I would save all the meat, if you can't eat it make it into sausage, burger or dogfood/trapping bait

if I shot one I would take the meat at leas from the hind quarters and the back straps, if it was spring I would take it all.

DRT = Dead Right There