Thread: Upper Chena Water Conditions

Default Upper Chena Water Conditions

With the heavier snow pack and recent warmth, sounds like the Chena is still a bit muddy but improving every day. By the chart below, it looks like the water might begin to cooperate by this weekend.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...oggles=&type=0

Generally speaking, I don't bother heading up there if this graph shows a level above 16 ft. You can tell by the up-and-down trending of the water level that daytime heating and meltwater are still heavily affecting the flow rate. BUT, if this forecast holds true (and sometimes it is off), then Sunday and Monday might have significantly clearer water.

Would love to hear some Memorial Day grayling stories...maybe even some pics?? Hopefully by 4th of July, I'll be able to tell some fish tales of my own!

BTW...has anyone caught a grayling yet upstream of Red Squirrel this year?
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Well couldn't resist getting out on my first day of summer (I'm a teacher) and going to my favorite hole(s) in the upper chena. As described the water was super-high and was definitly not clear. Regardless only the two "hot" holes produced fish (6 in about 3 hours) so not fast and furious but way better then sitting around doing nothing. Took a pic with my cell phone so it isn't the best but it is a fish in hand pic 2011-05-25 14.07.27.jpg

I made my first trip up today. Started at the North Fork confluence. Water was crystal clear and seemed high. Fished the sexy holes both above and below the bridge for an hour. Did not get a single take and did not see a fish while both nymphing and tossing dries. Then headed back downriver to Mile 29. Found what looked like a heavily trafficked, heavily fished stretch that parallels the road for a few hundred yards. This water was slightly discolored and looked like a braid off the main river. I had it all to myself and immediately got into grayling, 15 in the next 1.5 hours. They were rising to to tiny emergers but I was able to get them to take march browns, mosquitos, and yellow and black humpies in sizes 14 and 16. All were taken in slow water along the banks, off the main current. Fish ran from 10-12" with a couple 14" thrown in. I did see a smarter, more wily fish of about 16-17" that refused my patterns twice before disappearing.

i went out on sunday and did well... 11 fish in 3 hours... no pictures tho... turns out i took the camera out of my vest

Quote Originally Posted by Raffpappy View Post
    I made my first trip up today. Started at the North Fork confluence. Water was crystal clear and seemed high. Fished the sexy holes both above and below the bridge for an hour. Did not get a single take and did not see a fish while both nymphing and tossing dries. Then headed back downriver to Mile 29. Found what looked like a heavily trafficked, heavily fished stretch that parallels the road for a few hundred yards.
    Sounds like Hodgins Slough. It's a good bit off the river.

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    BTW I was up there last night and some jackass had left about 30' of mono tangled in the brush over the little stream in the NE corner. Took less than a minute to pull it all out. C'mon people - don't be pigs.

I do believe you are correct mlshore, I just checked it out on a map. I'm a tenderfoot and yesterday was the first time I headed up there. It was a recon as much as it was a fishing trip! Thanks for educating me on this. I couldn't help but notice this body of water was murkier and much smaller. Any ideas as to why the fish seemed to be podded up in this slough? Warmer maybe, more food?

P.S. I too was appalled at the trash I saw up there, especially around the "camp sites" at the confluence. I would have needed several trash bags to pick it all up. I thought I had left Washington State!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffpappy View Post

I do believe you are correct mlshore, I just checked it out on a map. I'm a tenderfoot and yesterday was the first time I headed up there. It was a recon as much as it was a fishing trip! Thanks for educating me on this. I couldn't help but notice this body of water was murkier and much smaller. Any ideas as to why the fish seemed to be podded up in this slough? Warmer maybe, more food?
    I just guess there's a lot of food in there. There's trash pretty much everywhere there's roads inside the rec area but it's pretty anyway, and that slough is a particularly good place to see some great waterfowl. There are definitely fish in places you wouldn't expect to find them up and down the road.

I haven't fished on the upper Chena yet (just the ponds and sloughs) but over the holiday weekend I did some fishing on the middle river and the fish there are a lot bigger than what's in the slough, but maybe a little harder to find. If you're coming in from North Pole I think I'd probably give the end of Grange Hall Road (on the south side of the river - don't even think about the Two Rivers side) a try. There's a big bend that wraps around it and I'll bet you'll find some decent-sized grayling stacked up somewhere there.

We floated from where the road crosses the North fork; mp 37 ish down to Rosehip. There was fish everywhere there was deeper water. All good size also.Chena Grayling.jpg