Thread: What elevation are you seeing Black Bears Kenai Pen?

Default What elevation are you seeing Black Bears Kenai Pen?

Spent 2 days looking for Black Bear on Skilak Lake, then hiked up Ptaarmagain LK trail saw no bears and little sign
    what hillside elevation are you seeing black bears?

Anchorage ak

Been seeing most 3/4 of the way up,only a few any lower.Just ask Mossyhorn he just got done trying to get on one way up near the peak on a seconed attempt in three days.Those bears keep showing up on that same hill there not going to keep being so lucky!

Woodland, Washington

Ya, those bears are kicking my butt! I saw six bears tonight, three of those included a sow and two yearlings or so. I've been seeing them about 3/4 of the way up like Kotton said. Some are way up there. The problem I'm running up against is that the most productive time seems to be afternoons and during that time the thermals are going up. Where I've seen bears, it's impossible to come in from above. I've tried skirting around but every time I get to where the bears are, they're gone. I climbed about 1500 feet tonight after a bear, only to see a different one a bit lower on the mountain once I was already back down. I said forget it, it was late and I was whipped.

I am seeing them any place open enough to see them. This time of year they are looking for sex and food. They are on the beach eating eggs (Sand Hill Crane eggs) and sedges. And they are also following the Cows (which are down low) so as to snag a calf during birthing or just after. Note: I have never seen a sow with cubs kill a calf, only solo adult bears seem to kill cubs, or so has been my observation.

Sadly there is very little accessible beach on Turnagain Arm, but there are lake beaches, like Cooper lake, and Kenai lake for example.

There is not much to eat in the woods, till the mushrooms start to flourish. So by default it comes down to hunting (Glassing) the open hillsides. I would first ask myself, "Even if I spotted a bear on that hillside, could I get to the bear". If the answer is no don't waste time spotting that hillside. The higher you spot from, say summit lake area, the less distance you have to climb. Mills Creek should start to yield several bears, and is easy to access, via Mills Creek trail.

It really comes down to dumb'arse luck or time spent glassing. I would bet my money on Glassing, lots and lots of Glassing.

Good Hunting.......
    "The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."