Thread: Boat Prop and Impeller Rebuilding in Anchorage

Default Boat Prop and Impeller Rebuilding in Anchorage

Been a while since I checked, but us there anybody else in ANC besides A-1 that rebuilds props, and especially stainless impellers in Anchorage? I'm heading down from FAI tomorrow and have a stainless steel impeller that needs some TLC.
    Any fresh input on A1 that a guy should know about?
    If not ANC area, is there somebody else that you have sent your gear to for rebuilding? How was the turn around time for ANC based companies compared to sending elsewhere?
    Thanks,
    ARR

I think the consensus has been greatland welding in the valley or maybe Alaska frontier fabrication not sure about the turn around due to seasonal demands, also havent need work done myself, but those are the two I am planning on calling when I redo my liner next week.

I haven't taken an impeller to Greatland for a rebuild, but I have done business with them and was definitely impressed with the help I got there. I would recommend them to anyone else without hesitation. They are located out in Palmer, but it was worth the drive.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Not sure the drive to Palmer is going to work this weekend. I've got a fun filled 4 days of office work, employee training, brush cutting, and garbage hauling. Leaving FAI today and coming back on Sunday. Is Alaska Frontier in ANC?
    ARR

A-1 rebuild my duoprops last winter. About a two week turnaround then. I have put 12 or 14 hours on them so far this month and they seem to work great. A-1 works for me.

Hey guys, which A-1 is it that does the prop work? Is it the A-1 Welding Sve on King St or is it the A-1 Industrial Machine and Welding on E. Potter? I could call, but figured you'd be able to answer the next question too.
    Is there someplace else you'd mail your stainless prop off to that can get the work done and have it back in 25 days (Sept 15)? Maybe Seattle or Southeast AK?
    Dumb me, just realized my 19 pitch prop is pretty wore out, and never did take my impeller in for service either.

THKS,
    ARR

The one on Potter.

I did get in touch w/ the guys out in Wasilla, Ak Frontier Fabricators. They said they could get it done in my time frame. It will cost roughly $70/blade ($210) plus $110 for balance and pitch work. A total of $320 then add on some mailing. That would save money to set aside for gas, and if I can wait for the overthrow of Qhadafi maybe the gas price will come down too. I have not priced new props lately, but guess a stainless prop for that 150 VMax would be in the neighbor hood of $460. Sounds like that is worth the time and effort to get a rebuild completed.
    Thanks for the help guys.
    ARR

Hey sport jet owners... I can't seem to find the answer anywhere else so let me ask a questions: what is the acceptable gap size between the impeller (not a high skew impeller) and the sleeve (not stainless steel) on a sport jet pump (w/200 optimax). I got 89 hours on it, only one summer, filed the stator down twice last summer and will check it again as part of the "get the boat summerized thing" here is another month or so... thanx all and appreciate your advise... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Bob a stock impeller clearance on SJ impellers is .030 to .040. Anything higher then .040 your going to start losing pump efficency. We run a closer clearances as tight as .010 with a ss sleeve.

Claude:

Thanx claude... I appreciate the info...

Quote Originally Posted by Exactboats View Post
    Bob a stock impeller clearance on SJ impellers is .030 to .040. Anything higher then .040 your going to start losing pump efficency. We run a closer clearances as tight as .010 with a ss sleeve.

Claude:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Thanx claude... I appreciate the info...
    Sorry Bob let me revise that with stock clearances on the SJ impellers. The clearances is actually .038 to .058 in the manuals. With these clearances running a lot sillty water or gravel it will not take long before the pump will start slipping out of the hole.

Claude:

"...overthrow of Qhadafi maybe the gas price will come down..." How did that work out?

Again Claude... thanx... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Exactboats View Post
    Sorry Bob let me revise that with stock clearances on the SJ impellers. The clearances is actually .038 to .058 in the manuals. With these clearances running a lot sillty water or gravel it will not take long before the pump will start slipping out of the hole.

Claude:

I like to run sportjet impellors pretty tight, have whoever you chose to rebuild them match the to your wear ring, just be aware some ss liners don't get always get installed perfectly centered so if you go too tight and your wear ring isn't centered you could have a situation were your impellor rubs or even binds, this is more likely to happen if you are in a hurry to use the boat after an impellor swap. Make sure it turns over when you bolt it back together before you hit the boat ramp. Don't ask me how I know

Thanx akgravelpumper, I will keep that in mind when the time comes... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by akgravelpumper View Post
    I like to run sportjet impellors pretty tight, have whoever you chose to rebuild them match the to your wear ring, just be aware some ss liners don't get always get installed perfectly centered so if you go too tight and your wear ring isn't centered you could have a situation were your impellor rubs or even binds, this is more likely to happen if you are in a hurry to use the boat after an impellor swap. Make sure it turns over when you bolt it back together before you hit the boat ramp. Don't ask me how I know