Thread: Ground blinds?

Default Ground blinds?

I've had a several people tell me I'm crazy for using one when baiting bears. I only have full use of one arm so climbing a tree is a process for me. I'd planned on using a pop up ghround blind but guys keep telling me thats no a good idea. what do you guys think?

Go for it. Most guys use a tree for better shots.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

yea thats what i figured. I got a good view of the general area and a big gun. didnt figure i needed much else hahaha

Im using the roots of a fallen tree as my natural ground blind. Its nice to not have to haul around a treestand this year.

I have 2 sites about 150yds apart one is equipped with a ground blind and the other is equipped with a tree stand. Just be cautious to your surroundings and you should be fine.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

From my personal experience the only problem with a ground blind is my lack of large mature boars while I am in the blind. Same site, same year going from ground to tree stand really increased the size of bears that come in. Just my .02

I have a site with a blind. But since I'm never around I don't had any experience but along as you have either a buddy with a gun or a you feel comfortable by your self then don't worry.

I have taken many using a ground blind.

Be safe and good luck.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Just make sure your back side is well blocked off and doesnt allow a bear to access your blind from the rear. I would probably try and find a group of 3 or 4 large spruce and try to set up in the middle of the group, then reinforce the back side of the blind with some pretty stout 4-5" spruce poles then cover in moss and brush. I have always just used a stand or platform, but i've been cooking up this whole ground blind idea in my head for a few years now. Might go for it next year.

Also, I would make sure i have a can of pepper spray rather than worrying about having a big gun, although i never approach the site without my shotgun w/slugs, but if a brownie decides to poke his head in your blind, you be much better off giving him a quick shot of pepper spray rather than having to deal with F&G with a DLP case...

I shot one out of my bright red quick fish 3 ice shack yesterday. I think they are great for sitting all day. I can not sit perfectly still for 8 to 10 hours so it allows me to move around, stand up, lay down, or do whatever I need to.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Absolutely nothing wrong with ground blinds when the site is properly set up to use one. They are a great way to go. They are light, portable, easy to set up, and they are great for masking movement.