Thread: self-watering system for raised garden beds: looking for ideas

Default self-watering system for raised garden beds: looking for ideas

So here's my situation, I built a couple of raised beds this year (4'x12') but will be gone for a couple multi-day trips where I won't be able to water the garden. I'm not too interested in hooking up an automated watering system to my outdoor faucet, nor do I really want to bug the neighbor to do my watering. Anyone have any good ideas on self-watering systems. An idea I was tossing around was a 'network' of 1/2" PVC pipe that ran parallel to each planted row capped on one end and connected to a main feeder pipe on the other. Then drilling tiny tiny holes along the PVC and hooking it up to a large container of water that would gravity feed it. The big trick would be getting the hole spacing / diameter just right so the appropriate amount of water feeds out. Anyone tried something like this?

Thanks in advance!

Alaska, Mat valley

Just water them good before you leave, they should be good for 2 or 3 days at least.
    Other than that, you need a timer, water solenoid valves, drip or soaker hose etc;; to come on & go off at pre-determined times.

soon to be back in Alaska

If you have room you can place milk jugs in the ground as a drip irrigation. Just poke a small hole in the bottom with your knife, then bury it 3/4 of the way into the ground. Then fill them up and it will slowly leak out and feed your plants. I have this system in my garden and it works great. If it rains they will stay full for a week or more, but if it is dry they may only last an afternoon. Before you leave give your garden a good soaking, then fill up the jugs and it will be fine. Below is a link to pictures of them in my garden.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.