Thread: Kasilof Shuttle and Info

Default Kasilof Shuttle and Info

I'm trying to decide between floating the Upper Kenai and Kasilof this Thursday with the wife and kids in a 16' raft. We've done the Kenai numerous times, but never been on the Kasilof, so I am leaning towards a Kasilof day trip.

Does anyone have a shuttle service for the Kasilof? Also, would appreciate any advice on putins/takeouts. We are looking for more wilderness than people. I wouldn't mind catching some dollies, not really concerned with getting a king.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Heg View Post
    I'm trying to decide between floating the Upper Kenai and Kasilof this Thursday with the wife and kids in a 16' raft. We've done the Kenai numerous times, but never been on the Kasilof, so I am leaning towards a Kasilof day trip.

Does anyone have a shuttle service for the Kasilof? Also, would appreciate any advice on putins/takeouts. We are looking for more wilderness than people. I wouldn't mind catching some dollies, not really concerned with getting a king.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Josh
    Josh,

You might give Max a call. He's in Sterling and he was doing something with a shuttle service. He owns Alaska Canoe and Campground.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

i float from the tustemena lake campground to the bridge 2 or three times a year. i usually drive the boat in then drive back to the takeout and hitchhike the shuttle. usually have good luck, as most of the folks traveling that road are headed to the campground, although it may be slow on a weekday. water looks a bit low just eyeballing from the bridge, be prepared to scrape along in a couple of sections, might be nice to have hip boots or the like in case you have to get out and push. if you were going saturday i could help with the shuttle, but thursday is no good. good luck, steve

How far is the shuttle? Could it be done via bicycle? I've been semi-interested in floating the Kasilof and shuttles are always an issue.

the shuttle for this float is maybe six or seven miles i guess. definitely do-able on a bicycle. if anyone is interested in floating this weekend i'm kicking around the idea of taking my alpaca down the river this saturday. probably mid-afternoon.

I'll hopefully be on the river late Saturday morning in a 15' blue Otter. It'll just be my wife and I. Say hi if you pass by. About how long does it take to float from the lake to the bridge without stops?

Right on Steve, the bike shuttle worked great. My wife dropped off the truck and biked back up while I rigged the boat, watched the kids, set up camp, and made lunch; it took her about an hour, round trip.

We floated to the bridge in about 4 hours. My 6 year-old was on the oars for the first bit of frog water, so you could definitely make better time if you hustled. It was a fun, mellow trip.

At a cool camping spot at the put-in right now (good 3G) sipping a Pacifico, listening to music, chillin' by the fire, and hoping the kids get quiet in the tent...life is good.

Josh

cool, thanks for the report josh. i have to wonder why this river is not gauged. i always have to guesstimate flows based on what the kenai, ninilchik and anchor are doing, but all are quite different in that the kasilof is really influenced by glacier melt. glad to hear its floatable right now.

I'll second Heg's trip report. We stashed a bike at the Sterling Hwy bridge take-out and then drove to the put-in. Due to the low water I had to row for almost 45 minutes to reach the current at the outlet. The total float took us 3:30 with a little fishing on the way down. No sweepers, strainers, or other hazards. Just low, flat water that took a fair amount of rowing to make the short time we floated. The bike ride back to the put-in took about 45 minutes. The paved section is mostly uphill. Once on the loose gravel, washboard section it's either flat or slightly downhill.