Thread: Kroto Creek - Moose Creek Raft Size and info

Default Kroto Creek - Moose Creek Raft Size and info

I was thinking of floating Kroto Creek or Moose Creek from Petersville Road. In the book "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers" it recommends catarafts 16' or smaller. The only raft I have is an Aire Super Leopard. Does anyone know if this will be too big for these streams? Any other information would be helpful.

If it works out, I may plan a float hunt down one of these streams. I have a very large family so I am always looking for an inexpensive way to do these kinds of trips.

Thanks.

Family Man

Moose and Kroto are too tiny for your boat. You might be able to man-handle it through there, but it's pretty skinny. You might consider the Little Su if you have the time (it will take at least a couple of days from the bridge to Burma). Or for a day trip you MIGHT be able to get it down Willow Creek. The lower end of Willow is kinda tight too though.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I know from recent, firsthand experience that Moose is a tough float in anything bigger than a 14' boat. The beavers have done a number on that crick. I love that float and will be doing it again ASAP, but it sure has changed drastically over the last handful of years. I haven't laid eyes or oars on Kroto (Next on the list!), but folks who've done it recently report the same issues.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thanks for the info. I really like you book.

Thanks for the info. If you float Kroto Creek please post something on the condtions.

I was thinking of adjusting the frame to make the raft narrower. Bring the center pontoons right next to each other. Would that help on these streams?

I was just up a Kroto Creek on Memorial Day at Petersville Rd riding my quad. Creek looked pretty shinny most of the way up and down it. But this was just from the bridge. Not sure how the rest of it would be.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

I have floated Moose a few times, and would have to agree that your raft is a touch too big for it also. I have floated it in my 14'3" Aire and have had to pull it through tight spots. A mokay and a kayak floated down while were where up there on Memorial day. We also had about ten of the women from our camp float from No Name back down to camp but they were in alpackas and pool toys .. lol.
    -JR

I sent you a PM with questions about a Moose Creek float at the end of May. I live on Moose Creek and have floated down to the bridge a couple of times this spring, but just moved here and have not floated past the Oilwell bridge.

How does it compare to Bishop Creek?

Replied to your PM 'Drool. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."