Thread: waterproof point and shoot suggestions

Default waterproof point and shoot suggestions

I'm looking to pick up a new camera and I'm wondering what kind of experience you've had with the latest waterproof/shockproof varieties?

For me, smaller is better along with battery life and image quality.

Thoughts?

My buddy picked up an earlier version of this cam and used it while diving in Taiwan and Japan this year. He is very pleased with it. The new one is rated to go deeper with more bells and whistles (along w/ a higher price tag). It has my attention!

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compa...ft3/index.html

Count me as another Panasonic waterproof camera fan. Image quality is very good for a little camera, and it seems to be durable enough for most anything. I bought several extra batteries on eBay for under $10 each (shipped from China to your door), and had power to spare through a 30 day Grand Canyon trip with me mounting the thing on my helmet to get some great video through the rapids.

The new Olympus Tough cameras are the hot sellers in this field, and there are also some nice ones from Sony, Pentax and Canon. It's hard to buy a bad one, really. But after comparing them all, and reading plenty of online reviews, I still preferred the the Panasonic.

I've got the olympus 1030 sw, a vast improvement over the 820, a great point and shoot, takes nice video, and has all the bells and whistles you need. I got one new, then it was stolen from my truck a year later, I liked the first one so much i got another off of Ebay (used unfortunatley as they are hard to find new anymore) but i have zero complaints and have really enjoyed using this camer. Also, replacement batteries from China are cheap, and work just fine for 4 bucks. Plus it has big memory.

I've handled or used most of them and they are all pretty decent, but i can definitely speak to the Olympus as far as quality, waterproofiness, and options.

I used to have a film type Pentax and it worked well, too good pictures and stayed workiing. I bought the digital wqterproof, shockproof Pentax and it takes great pictures, is small, easy to use and so far immune to the rain, snow and other weather during a couple years of fishing and hunting trips.

Of course, I expected some different opinions. I know some die hard olympus fans and some die hard Panasonic fans myself. Seems like I can't go wrong either way.

Thanks

It's a couple years out of date now, but here's Digital Photo Review's waterproof camera comparison: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    The new Olympus Tough cameras are the hot sellers in this field, and there are also some nice ones from Sony, Pentax and Canon. It's hard to buy a bad one, really. But after comparing them all, and reading plenty of online reviews, I still preferred the the Panasonic.
    I own a Olympus Tough 8010 and it is the best waterproof/shockproof camera I have ever owned or used. In fact, as I am posting, I am downloading pictures from yesterdays swiftwater rescue class I was in. The camera has been in the Chena Hot Springs, the deserts of the Middle Eat, and used under water at the pool and rivers. Quality is decent enough for me to be happy. Take a look at em
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

I have an old Pentax Optio that won't die and still works great. Bought it back when Stewart's carried Pentax (who now won't distribute to shops with < $10K annual sales) and the max resolution was 6MP (Optio now comes with 14MP). My performance criteria at the time were: #1. waterproof and #2. easy to carry. I love this camera. Great pics. Never so bulky it gets left behind. It's got scratches all over it - mainly from being in my pocket. The paint on the case is all but worn off. Still works well. The lens is recessed and so protected. But I think several companies make cameras now that perform well. Go try some on for size, etc. Someday I figure I will just go look at Stewart's - whatever replacement they have. Still be awhile though...

I bought the Casio Exilim a little over a year ago and have been very pleased with this camera. I have used it when snorkling, snowmachining, riding atvs, hiking, etc. It has been all over under water, frozen, dropped and just about every abuse minus fire and still works great!