Thread: Fletchings and Jigs?

Default Fletchings and Jigs?

I am currently in Iraq. I have lost a few fletchings do to poor shots and need advice on what to get to fletch my own arrows.

I shoot a Bowtech Destroyer 350 set at 70 lbs with Carbon Express Piledriver arrows with currently 3 in offset vanes.

I am looking at Quick spin 2 in ST Speed Hunter Vanes. Has anyone used these before and are they good?

I have never done this before so what is the best equipment for the money? Glue? and anything else needed?

If you are going to use the Quick Spins all you need is a straight Fletch cause if you use any angle you can get unstable flight. I use them, there make sure you really clean the surface or they wont stick for long. As far as Fletchers you cant go wrong with Bitzenburger. Good luck its alot of fun making your own.

If you buy a Bitzenburger you will never have to buy another one. I have 7 of them and 5 of them are are somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30 years old ( I bought used) and they work as if they were new.

Since you are overseas, size and weight on packages can be a problem. I would seriously consider a Arizona Fletcher for 2" vanes. It is a very simple, one arrow at a time jig that works great if you are patient...don't get in a hurry. Prep you arrow correctly and insert a nock, insert arrow into jig. Place your vanes into the slots, use a thin line of the right glue for the vane and shaft, then close the jig. A few minutes later you can remove the arrow and go on to the next. Let the arrow cure over night.

I am shooting Beman carbon arrows that I use a little sandpaper to. I am using 2" Blazer vanes and a Arizona Fletcher. I love the results. My only problem was in the beginning I used way to much glue, yeck!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Since you are overseas, size and weight on packages can be a problem. I would seriously consider a Arizona Fletcher for 2" vanes. It is a very simple, one arrow at a time jig that works great if you are patient...don't get in a hurry. Prep you arrow correctly and insert a nock, insert arrow into jig. Place your vanes into the slots, use a thin line of the right glue for the vane and shaft, then close the jig. A few minutes later you can remove the arrow and go on to the next. Let the arrow cure over night.

I am shooting Beman carbon arrows that I use a little sandpaper to. I am using 2" Blazer vanes and a Arizona Fletcher. I love the results. My only problem was in the beginning I used way to much glue, yeck!
    I like my Arizona ez fletch I've started using wraps though because I was damaging shafts scraping off old vanes. And it's very easy to refletch in camp if need be

I am in agreement with fishingyoda EZ-fletch and wraps very easy to use.

I've been messing around with these and I've been very happy. http://www.newarchery.com/products/3...h-twister.html I hate messing with fletching and can't shoot F.O.Bs due to my arrown rest. These things work awesome and all you need is boiling water to apply. Kinda spendy, though.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Bitzenburger, is the way to go I have used the easy fletch, and it works well but the bitz, is just as easy and the results are a better product in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Bitzenburger, is the way to go I have used the easy fletch, and it works well but the bitz, is just as easy and the results are a better product in my opinion
    While I may agree, I am looking at shipping this stuff to Iraq. I stand by the AZ eazy fletch :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Thank you for all of your advice. Ordered the Bitzenburger dial and 2" quickspins. Looking forward to their arrival. Also ordered a dozen "Full Metal Jacket Dangerous Game" arrows. Anybody use these? Suppose to have great penetration and knock down power.

Suppose to have great penetration and knock down power.
    I guess I have never thought of a arrow having " knock down power"

Doesnt matter what you get just have fun with it, i personally think there is more self gradification when you build your own arrows. And that way there is no one to blame but yourself.