Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When to shoot a charging bear???

Default When to shoot a charging bear???

Most have seen the video of the guide shooting the charging sow from the Cabelas video. So when do you shoot? I've talked to a fair amount of people since I got here in 05. You have the guys who say "well it could be a bluf charge" you have people who say if they are charging and they're under 50 yds I'm shooting etc...So what say you? I'm personally of the mindset that I'm thinkin I'm gonna shoot rather than wait to see if a bear with it's ears pinned back and coming is going to stop at 20'. Don't want any scratches on my beautiful carcass! Lol...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Well it all depends on how good a bluffer the bear is. If I drill it in the melon then the old boy should have stuck to poker!

IF a Bear is running AT me,(This has never happend) Im going to shoot it ASAP, no waiting for a Bluff to play out, 'cause he might call mine!

50 yards aint $h!t to a running Bear......about 5 seconds or less (!!) from my many running AWAY from me Bear observations.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

If a bear actually charges me, I'm gonna shoot if I can, I don't care if he's 75 yards, or 10 yards, I'm fillin him with lead....You hear those stories of poeple only getting one shot off....not gonna be me if I can help it.

Does any body have a link to that video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egBzAIZqztQ

I'm glad to read what you have all posted so far. Maybe it's just me but it seems I've talked to too many who claim to be "bear experts" and of course have nerves of steel blah, blah, blah. I've always said to myself, I'm shootin, like the old Doritios commercials said, we'll make more. Don't care if I get a ticket or whatever, as long as I have no claw/teeth marks on my carcass them I'm good.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

I'd start off by playing possum. If he doesn't stop chewing on me within a minute or so, I'd start waving my arms and yelling to run him off. If the attack continues, I may have to resort to a more forceful action. But then, I'm a patient person. lol

Forget that one. This is the one that will question your nerve and you'll need to change your shorts!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbnm...eature=related I still don't believe that he was shooting to miss on purpose.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Right before it starts eating you.

Default my story

Well,

My personal experience was May 2006 my wife and I took a walk down the street from our house in Eagle River, it was late, and I decided (against my own judgement) not to bring a gun but I warned my wife, if we see any bear sign we are to turn around and high tail it out. After a nice walk with no bear sign, we turned around to head back to car only to see a 20' brownie (with no protection that is what it looked like :-), actually about a 8' to 9' bear came down the trail we just came from followed by another smaller brown bear 6' to 7'.

The larger bear and I started to see who had a bigger chest, starting first at about 35 yards, he started popping his jaw's and charging, slapping the ground with his paw's until he worked up to about 20' from me (all the while, my wife ran from me and climbed a tree about 50' behind me). I spent the next few seconds (seemed like minutes) waving my arms up, yelling, screaming, jumping up and down and then finally scaring them off. Problem was they ran down the trail we needed to go on to get back to our car. Needless to day, I don't go far without one of my many firearms anymore.

Had I had a gun with me, I don't know that I would have shot and tried to kill this bear, but I can say with confidence I would have been at the ready just milliseconds away from pulling the trigger. In the end, I am telling this story (my wife tells it better... :-). Also, no need to tell me all the things I did wrong. No doubt mistakes were made, but I have lived to tell the story and I take many more precautions when outside. Always good to get a refresher class every now and then.

Attachment 49270
    Tony

When the bear is barreling at you with a full head of steam! That is when I shoot! Last fall I had to do it. Last bullet in the rifle to the head crumpled it up at about 40 feet. Like stranger says, 50 yards isn't anything, they come so fast! Had one charge this spring on a bait! There was really no time to react as it happened so fast! Thank goodness I was standing on the six wheeler and probably looked huge to the bear and it decided to pass by us at 7 feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Sightseer View Post
    I'd start off by playing possum. If he doesn't stop chewing on me within a minute or so, I'd start waving my arms and yelling to run him off. If the attack continues, I may have to resort to a more forceful action. But then, I'm a patient person. lol
    Based on the documented reactions of brown/griz attacks your plan will end up with you being eaten alive. When a brown/griz is on top of you and biting you any movement will provoke the bear and continue the attack. Do your yelling and screaming before the bear gets to you. This is the data collected from dozens of surviors of brown/griz attacks. As soon as they stopped moving the bear left them alone. Some bears walked off, and other bears staid there to watch and make sure they were done moving. Any movement resulted in additional reaction bites from the bear.

I have met too many old time woodsmen up here that have come face to face with brown/griz and never had an issue as long as they didn't move fast, yell, or run. A calm "good bear, nice bear" in a non threatening voice works for the old men in the woods every day.

LOOK, If you want to stop a CHARGING Bear...........It is just not that Hard to do..........You just take away his "Visa Card" and problem solved.

Default Too many variables.....

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    I have met too many old time woodsmen up here that have come face to face with brown/griz and never had an issue as long as they didn't move fast, yell, or run. A calm "good bear, nice bear" in a non threatening voice works for the old men in the woods every day.
    Good advice.

Some of the replies here are a bit disconcerting, however others (northway, tzieli22, and the above) are pretty good summations. There ain't a Man Eating Bear behind every tree up here, and most of 'em want as little to do with us as we do with them. Preparation and forethought goes a long ways.

I spend a good deal of time in close proximity to bears, both coastal and interior Brown/Grizz, and to date have had one legitimate charge. Posted that story somewhere on here, essentially it was a worst case scenario involving thick brush, 3 one-year-old cubs and one highly agitated sow. Aside from that I've had "charges" end anywhere from 50'-10' from where me and my 12 gauge stood, and aside from a lot of adrenaline and posturing on both sides of the issue, never had any real problems.

There's no exact "formula" for discerning the difference between a Bluff and a Real Deal Charge, but if their ears are laid back and they're coming low and fast as opposed to ears up and a more bouncing type of gait, then you'd better be ready.

As to the actual distance before opening fire? Too many variables (visibility -i.e. brush and terrain-, surroundings, people between you and the bear, etc.) for any type of standard answer.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I would rather be judged by a party of 12...than carried by a party of 6!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I prefer option C.

"None of the Above"
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I prefer option C.

"None of the Above"
    No Guts...No Glory!!! You ain't much fun since I quit drinkin'....LOL

You ain't never popped a cub with the tip of a fly rod, just to make him bawl? Actually saw that happen once!!! And only once! LMAO
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Well said I have the same feeling. In a stand off with a bear he is ok but as soon as he makes any sudden movements at me I will do my best to stop the threat. You don't have much time to react and you have to figure that even at 100 yds a bear at full steam at you will give you only about 6 seconds or less to get to you. So like some and waiting till they are within 10 yds does not give you much time. If a bear is coming at me I have to plan for the worst and consider that he has plans for me that I may not like. To me a charging bear would be a dead bear. To me my distance is within 30 yds but the situation would dictate that

No Guts...No Glory!!! You ain't much fun since I quit drinkin'....LOL

You ain't never popped a cub with the tip of a fly rod, just to make him bawl? Actually saw that happen once!!! And only once! LMAO
    There's some stories from a misspent youth that would be good for a laugh, given the appropriate company.....

Well if a bear is charging at me, first gonna take a few pics and then see if he wants some cheese doodles =)

Default There's no simple answer

A bear who is truly intent on hurting a person should be killed. You know those people who get mauled by a bear and say "Don't hurt the bear, he was here first?" If that happens to me, feel free to kill the bear.

On the other hand, I have had bears run towards me many times where I didn't have to shoot them. In a case like that, shooting would only escalate the situation because a wounded bear, until it's death, is much more dangerous than an unwounded bear. Many of those bears would have been shot at by some people assuming every bear running towards them was charging. All of those people would have put themselves in much greater danger by shooting.

AlaskaHippie has it right in my opinion. On this youtube clip there are 3 examples of bears that kept coming after they had seen me. :35, 1:48, 2:32. Two ran towards me for a long way, closer and closer, before finally stopping (much closer than shown) the third kept marching straight towards me despite all my yelling. He got uncomfortably close. He wasn't sure what I was until he smelled me. As AlaskaHippie said the two running bears had "ears up and a more bouncing type of gait." They were bears looking for food that didn't know what I was.

To quote AlaskaHippie again but if their ears are laid back and they're coming low and fast as opposed to ears up and a more bouncing type of gait, then you'd better be ready.

Like AlaskaHippie, I have had to shoot one bear in my life, a brown bear with a cub, charging ears laid back and coming in low and fast. She was at the point where I couldn't wait to know for sure if it was a bluff.

In all other cases I was much safer NOT shooting.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast