Thread: I need an electric pump. Any suggestions?

Default I need an electric pump. Any suggestions?

Doing some rafting in the Smoky Mountains here in NC this summer. Also heading to New River Gorge in WV come Sept, a 4 day trip before heading to the Upper Kenai for Fishapalooza. In need of an electric pump as I will be putting my boat together at the launch on these trips. Seems worthwhile to get an electric pump at this point. Wanting to get a good one that will last as I will have an ongoing need for it. Thought I would ask here if anyone had any suggestions.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Assuming you're looking for a 12 volt pump... The LVM Inflator Pump ($125 at NRS) has been around in one form or another for many years and is highly regarded. But I know that you can burn them up if you use them to inflate your boat too tight. NRS's own Blast Inflator Pump ($100 at NRS) doesn't put out as much pressure, but users seem to like it, and it doesn't seem to burn up as easily if the reports can be believed. Either way you will want to top off your boat with a nigher pressure manual pump.

If you find yourself too far from a reliable 12 volt source those cheap 4xD cell pumps, available in discount stores everywhere for less than $20, do inflate rafts fairly well to about 0.01 psi. The raft just barely takes shape with the thing, but it's quite easy to manually inflate them from there. I always take one on remote trips. One set of batteries will inflate two 16' self bailers with power to spare. For $20 you can't expect reliability though.

I've had a NRS Blast for 4 years and never had a problem. It would be nice if the wires were a few feet longer though. You have to strategically place your boat close to the car battery. However, the thing is loud..as in it howls. A pair of ear plugs makes it a little easier on the user. You'll still have to bring along your top off pump with any 12v pump.

Been using this for nearly 10 years.. Still going strong.

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-1...6260831&sr=8-1

I have the same one as Jomama, and it has been used and abused for the last ten years- still working like new.

Josh

Default Blast

A buddy has been through a lot of pumps, and I relayed your question. He said he recommended the NRS Blast, without question. He's had the NRS LVM and said that the reed switch is a frequent source of failure. You can ask him yourself at the New River!

I use and provide NRS blast on a lot of local and remote floats never had an issue with one yet. When I go out for an extended float with more than one boat I normally take a fully charged ATV battery in a dry box with the blast pump. It fills two boats fast with ease IMO. I then hand the box back to the pilot last flight out seems to work well for me. If you happen to have a solar charger you can keep the battery box if weight is not a concern and use the blast to deflate as well. Also works well if you are packing your boat a distance from the road side and blowing up your boat away from your vehicle.

Thanks for the input guys.

CPO, looking forward to rafting the New River with you

Looks like 3 days there, then heading to the Upper Kenai for Fishapalooza III. Can't wait.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.