Thread: Rod hholder positions

Default Rod hholder positions

I have an Ocean Kayak Prowler that I use on lakes and rivers here in Minnesota. We are moving to anchorage a year from now, and I don't want to have to re drill any holes in the kayak. It really doesn't matter where I mount the rod holders for fishing around here. I want to try fishing for cod and other bottom fish, and trolling for salmon also. I factored in paddle stroke, and I can either put them in front of my feet which will be a little bit of a stretch, or I can put them behind the seat which means I have to twist around backwards to grab a rod. They really cant go anywhere in between there without getting in the way. Any suggestions for where to put them for trolling?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Benning View Post
    I have an Ocean Kayak Prowler that I use on lakes and rivers here in Minnesota. We are moving to anchorage a year from now, and I don't want to have to re drill any holes in the kayak. It really doesn't matter where I mount the rod holders for fishing around here. I want to try fishing for cod and other bottom fish, and trolling for salmon also. I factored in paddle stroke, and I can either put them in front of my feet which will be a little bit of a stretch, or I can put them behind the seat which means I have to twist around backwards to grab a rod. They really cant go anywhere in between there without getting in the way. Any suggestions for where to put them for trolling?
    I have been struggling with that same thought. I have mine upfront so I can see them. Having said that, they are always getting in the way of trolling.

On another kayaking board a similar question is being asked. I think for trolling you almost have to put the rod slightly behind you. This serves two purposes. One it's out of your way. Two, since the pivot point of the rod is behind you, it doesn't "turn" the yak as much. With the rod out in front, the second I stop paddling, my 9ft mini-x immediately begins turning toward the side of the line. That's with 4oz of weight and a herring, no flashers or other stuff.

Basic idea is to have the rod behind you with light drag. Put the clicker on and you can "hear" the hit. I am going to place a mount in back sometime int he near future.

It is a pain to grab when it is behind you. One thing that solved this for the other folks was they used a RAM mount with an extension so they can put the rod into the holder while it is to the side of you, then swing it behind you when you want to paddle. Looks like a pretty good set up to me.

Here's the thread: http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com...ic,5957.0.html

I ended up buying the saltwater ram tube ones. I always got------- trying to line up the other ram ones when I had them on my boat, so the extensions won't work. The only good thing is that I will have more options as far as angle goes. Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 05-24-2011 at 08:06.

This will trial and error, Its different for all people. Bets I have found is sit in the kayak on dry land, and have a partner mark placement. You must account for your strokes and assume you will be fishing in rough water. It's all good when it's flat and calm and trying to maneuver around while hooked up. But when the weather turns not so calm is when you were wishing you had moved it in a different place.
    1. Set up everything in your yard, IE rods, leashes, paddle, and whatever container you will be holding gear in.
    2. Sit in it, stop and think about the items and where you have to grab them. Brain storm with partners. You may not be thinking of something, but when he or she says it, makes complete sense.
    3. Take it out to a pond or lake on a calm day and feel things out. Do you like the placement? What is in the way? Or would you want to change it.
    4. With rod holder positioning, think about being to far forward. Do you really have to lean or even scoot forward to grab you rod? Or if there behind, you how far back? While wearing your gear, is it easy to turn around and grab your rod. Now you have a fish at the end, and it don't want to come out easy.
    5. Paddle placement. where will the paddle go when I catch a fish. In the water? probably shouldn't do that.. I like the bungees in front where I can jam it in there but thats how I like it.
    I hope this helps. Do what works and fits you the best.
    Really Really SUCKS! When your in 10ft seas with white caps and things are getting in the way. OR 7 ft sailfish right at the leader and you cant reach our gaff and and then looks right at you while spitting the hook.NOT FUN!
    And think about tying yourself off to the kayak also. Your Kayak will float away faster then you can swim( FACT)

Thanks for the advice. We are either moving to Florida, or Alaska when my wife is out of school, so I am trying to set it up for bigger water, which I cant really replicate. Lake superior will get 2 to 14 foot waves, but they don't come in normal sets, it seems for some reason that they come much quicker. I don't know if this comes from them being solely wind driven or what. I am going to end up getting out there in a few weeks, but I wanted to get some stuff set up for fishing now. I took it out fishing once so far, and checked my paddle stroke against where I had initially planned to put them. I have long legs, so for where I am going to have to put the rod holders, there is no way to get them other than to scoot up. Same thing with the back, I am going to have to twist around to get them. I am just wondering in any of you saltwater guys opinions, what is better, scooting forward, or twisting back to get a rod with a fish on it in bigger water? I know I will have to see for myself, just curios what others up there like.

P.S. Are you really fishing in 10 foot seas, or just trying to get back to shore? If your fishing, what kind of kayak do you have?

That was a crazy day when we were in that mess! We where on the north shore of Hawaii when that hit. It was a little rough going out, once we were about the 6 to 8 mile mark straight out the wind picked up crazy. Once I got smashed from behind completely submerging the yak. Everything got reeled in and prayer time all the way back. It's the ocean never turn your back on her. She has this way of giving a big taste of humble pie. Kayak was a Prowler 15. Florida is going off right now for kayak fishing. Here in Alaska it's slowly pick back up. The reason I say it that way is because the local natives have been doing it for thousands of years. Respect the land, respect the ocean and they will take care of you. Check out the Hobie series too, lot of safety add ons also. This is a great sport we have. We need to keep this as safe as possible
    Tie off your kayak floats... always roll out with a waterproof radio.. Don't just rely on cell phone. I learned the hard way.

I am saving for a Hobie Outback, but at 2 grand, it's gonna be awhile. So what do you prefer in rougher water, sliding forward for a rod, or turning behind your back?

I prefer sliding forward for the moment. I don't fish super rough waters.

But I hit my line with the paddle enough times that i have caused a groove or two on my paddle. I just like to see the rod tip and the strike. It's a lot of the fun for me. So far it's worked out. But if I know I am trolling all day and I was in a tournament or the water was more techinical I'd have it behind me. When it's in front, it sometimes forces me to paddle one way or the other to avoid the line. In a big ocean, that is okay. In a river or over structure, not so good.

My solution is I am going to have both.

Mine (2) are behind me. Just make sure when mounted, they position the rods slightly outward. That way the rod tips don`t get tangled up.

Mounting in the rear (behind the seat) gives me full access across the front of the yak to fight my fish.

My kayak has shock cord right behind the seat, I'm not using a sit-on-top. I have simply mounted a scotty rod holder on a piece of plywood (it has a cutout for the aft hatch) and use the shock cord to hold it tight. I've never felt like it was difficult to turn for the rod or tell when I've gotten a hit. I've fished kings, silvers and pinks with this set-up and have had great success.

I agree with a previous post, setting the drag light helps. It allows you to reach for the rod and get situated before there is much tension on the rod. I do use pink ladies, to get the lure down, which means that you need enough drag so a strike will "trip" the diver and set the hook.

When I'm camping out of the kayak I keep my rod in the holder behind me and find it's a great place to store it as well.

Happy kayak fishing!