Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone on the peninsula NOT!! have browns this year

Default Anyone on the peninsula NOT!! have browns this year

I know several people this season baiting on the kenai this year and so far every single one of them have multiple browns hitting their baits. I only know of two people not getting invaded by brownies and they dont have anything hitting at all yet. Just wondering if everyone else is having the same problem. They seem worse this year than in years past I have been lucky I guess the last few years by not having problems with them but not this year they are eating faster than I can bring it out and I am not getting the numbers of blackies I am used to either.
    We are well past needing a brown bear season down here.

I checked mine this weekend and have at least 3 different browns, including one over 9 foot. Also have a hog of a black bear on camera along with three other blacks! The bait has only been out a week so far. I am taking my wife and daughter in this weekend. Should be a good time! Last year I had about the same number of browns, but not this soon.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I feel bad for the moose calves they don't stand a chance unless they stay right by homes. Don't have much action yet at my bait station and a couple people close by have been getting multiple brownies in so far.

This guy is all I have seen in the Kenai areabear bait 2.jpg. We have let it sit empty for a week now hoping he moves on.
    They sure do eat a lot. And damage your drum when they can't get their paw in the hole.

bear bait 01.jpg
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Same here lots of brown's very few black's but moose will be dropping there calf's in the next few days hope that pull's some of the browns of the bait..
    Bow hunters do it with longer shafts

Angry kenai browns

I have 3 browns that I know of from trail cam pics and no blacks. Have never in 20 yrs of baiting the KP gone this long without having a black bear on my bait. Last yr I had 8 different browns throughout the whole season and several blacks. Strange year for sure, it cant be the browns keeping the blacks away though, because we dont have many browns on the KP. We must remember that they are listed as a species of concern.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default few more

A few more

@33outdoorsman your comment about the calves is totally true, I drive that rd to my bait 3 days a week at least during the season and once the calves drop you will start to see quite a few mama's with singles and twins. A few days later you see mama with 1 instead of her 2 or a mama that had a single but is now alone. Then pretty soon you just start to see a lot of single cows. Daily you can see the impact on the calves in the spring out there.

I have had 1 so far, but I already harvested a black. Haven't seen the brown since he ate 5 40gl bags of popcorn.

You guys should save all of these pictures until after baiting season and take a huge stack of them into the F&G office and show those idiots some actual, real-life info on just how many brown bears are down that way. It just might save a lot of money and years of "study and research" by our wonderful F&G Dept...

They know already and so does the refuge. At the end of the season those hunting on the refuge are required to fill out a hunt report outlining how many total bears black and brown they saw on thier bait and how many they harvested etc. They give us the previous years hunt report and harvest numbers each yr when we sign up for our hunt location. The last 5 years especially the brown numbers reported seen have increased a lot. Both agencies know there are a LOT of bears down here.

I had 5 differnt blacks hitting my bait on the refuge and one small Brownie until the 18th. I rebaited and 2 differnt brown sows with single cub show but still have blacks. Then Bearzilla shows up and tears my keg off the tree and broke to 6" turnbuckles. I did have a couple blacks show up on the trail cam but didn't stick around long. Of course there wasn't much COB left either.I rebaited last night and will check the camera in a couple days. I got some good pics but don't know how to post em.

I'm in unit 7. So far this year I have two browns and zero blacks.

This might be a stupid question, but would people actually hunt brown bears if there was a season? If the answer is an overwhelming "YES," then it almost has to be a draw hunt, right? Surely there can't be enough brown bears for everyone within a half-day's drive of Unit 15 for it to go HT.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Few pics of recent brownies.

Do you think the previous two are the same bear. I don't but I'm not sure.

Here is one of the 4 I had last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but would people actually hunt brown bears if there was a season? If the answer is an overwhelming "YES," then it almost has to be a draw hunt, right? Surely there can't be enough brown bears for everyone within a half-day's drive of Unit 15 for it to go HT.
    Very few of the people that draw the tag even hunt for them so with the high numbers of browns that we are having down here there is virtually no way that with the few that are taken this way is doing anything to curb the explosion of the population.
    We do need everyone down here to hunt them to get the population back under control. Fish and game says that there are only 4-600 browns on the peninsula but I think that the actual number is several times that and with hardly any hunting pressure the numbers will continue to grow at a rapid pace until they eat everything here I am seeing browns now in areas that never I never have before they are even starting to show up in Port Dick and that even suprised the biologist when he was told of that.
    There are a lot of other places that you can get to from Anchorage in a half a days drive that you can hunt browns so saying that everyone will swarm the peninsula to slaughter the brown bears if we get a season here is way off.
    No offence Skinny but Fairbanks is a long way from the brown bear problems of the peninsula.
    Even with a general season it will take several years to curb the population that we now have that F&G seems not to care about.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Not everyone who hunts is successful either.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I thought the stupid part was the question was whether people would actually hunt brown bears if given the opportunity. I've never entertained the idea of hunting one. If it is as you say, then I am on your side. There's no need to get all regional.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

If they opened up a hunting season on brown bears there is no way we could hunt them out given the terrain and habitat we have down here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast