Thread: Weed guards

Default Weed guards

In an effort to fish more effectively under the cut banks of some of my favorite streams, and also to avoid losing so many flies when I take the relatives out, I did some experimenting with weed guards...

The technique I'm using is a lot like this guy's here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlb_qnBq46Y

Either way, here is the finished product...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1691.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	49226

I gave one of these to each of my brothers and they fished all day with them - I even actually got one back!

Anyone have any experience / found any problems with using weed guards?

Edited to add: FYI - I'm using 15lb test mono for the weed guard.
    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

Very nice. Does it affect hook-ups at all.....are you missing strikes? Sometimes a heavy #test line used for a guard will do that during "subtle" strikes.

I like it! Let us know how it fishes
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    Very nice. Does it affect hook-ups at all.....are you missing strikes? Sometimes a heavy #test line used for a guard will do that during "subtle" strikes.
    Not that I can tell... The mono isn't too stiff - just enough that it will let the fly slide over a log or snap, but light enough that it splays out pretty easily... I experimented with different size mono to try and get just the right balance.

I'll keep you updated though - I plan on tying up some nymphs this way as well and I suspect I may miss some strikes with those because of the difference in how the fish hit them... We'll see!
    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

great idea, def need to let us know how it works!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

I do essentially the same thing, but with one loop rather than two. I have two distinct boxes of them. I have an array of flies for silvers and pinks, in order to limit backs when the fish are thick. I also use them on my halibut flies so they slip through the short seawead and over barnacles in the shallowish water (60' or less) we usually fish halibut. For the salmon flies 15-20# mono is fine depending on stiffness. I use 30-40# for the halibut flies. I have no impression that it costs me hits.

a g-string from a guitar bent into a U shape is a great weedgaurd, and pops right off thus not affecting hookups, I use them on all my pike flies
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.