My father in law and I have been planning our first Haul Road trip for almost a year now. The plan was to head up in late August, early September. Well, our trip just fell through - in a good way. He lives in Colorado and has been putting in for a Colorado moose tag for 8 years now. Just the other day, he finally got drawn. His season runs pretty much the same time as when we were going to go up there. He and I agreed that he should stay there and concentrate on getting that moose, since it is about like pulling a bison tag here (including, I believe, the 10 year waiting period once you draw). So now I am out of a partner for heading up to the Haul Road.
I have never been up there, and honestly, don't know what to expect. I have my IBEP card already taken care of and practice shooting on a regular basis. I am not 100% committed to the timeframe of late Aug, early September, but would prefer to keep it there if possible. My family and I do a lot of fishing during the summer (especially July), and I am hoping to do a moose bowhunt August 10-17. I may have work committment in mid to late September as well, although that has not yet been worked out.
I had planned on driving up with my father in law, so I can likely still drive my truck up (F150) if needed, share costs, gas, etc. I live in Anchorage. I would love to have someone that has been up the road before if possible and knows what they are doing in those parts, although it is not required. If anyone is interested, drop me a PM.