Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Haul Road Partner in Aug/Sept

Default Looking for Haul Road Partner in Aug/Sept

My father in law and I have been planning our first Haul Road trip for almost a year now. The plan was to head up in late August, early September. Well, our trip just fell through - in a good way. He lives in Colorado and has been putting in for a Colorado moose tag for 8 years now. Just the other day, he finally got drawn. His season runs pretty much the same time as when we were going to go up there. He and I agreed that he should stay there and concentrate on getting that moose, since it is about like pulling a bison tag here (including, I believe, the 10 year waiting period once you draw). So now I am out of a partner for heading up to the Haul Road.

I have never been up there, and honestly, don't know what to expect. I have my IBEP card already taken care of and practice shooting on a regular basis. I am not 100% committed to the timeframe of late Aug, early September, but would prefer to keep it there if possible. My family and I do a lot of fishing during the summer (especially July), and I am hoping to do a moose bowhunt August 10-17. I may have work committment in mid to late September as well, although that has not yet been worked out.

I had planned on driving up with my father in law, so I can likely still drive my truck up (F150) if needed, share costs, gas, etc. I live in Anchorage. I would love to have someone that has been up the road before if possible and knows what they are doing in those parts, although it is not required. If anyone is interested, drop me a PM.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

JMG,
    I have a similar note on this website asking for a North Slope caribou hunting partner. I have been to the North Slope twice and want to go again. I live in Fairbanks. If you are interested to join-up, reply to this message. I am retired and my schedule is open. The main North Slope caribou herd starts to move by first week of September. Hunting regulations are allowing five caribou per hunter this year. I have total respect for the possible hazards of driving the Dalton up to the North Slope. I would never make such a trip on my own. Regards. Jojo

JMG,
    I guess it is only time when you read my reply for the caribou hunt in the North Slope. I agree that a good time to hunt is late August or early September. The entire caribou herd must move from summer grazing to winter grounds. This means they have to cross the Dalton highway and the Saga river. I will be patient and wait for you to answer. Regards. Jojo

I'll be heading up there myself around the same time. I live in FBX. If your interested call me at 907-750-4740.

I would be interested in this too. I've driven the Haul Road, in 2006, all the way to Prudhoe Bay and back, in my Volkswagen Jetta. It's not as bad one might think. I've never hunted up there though. I'm new to bow hunting, and I shoot a Bear recurve. I'm in Anchorage.

Sounds good to me!!

tmhayes,
    Good news for me! How many times have you been to the North Slope? I am heading for the door for bow target shooting.
    I will give you a call when I return.
    I was in the Slope last year for the first week of September. There were lots of archers/hunters on both sides of the Hall road
    but few caribou. The weather was warm and no snow on the ground. I stayed in the area for five days and saw few animals. I talked with others hunters and they agreed that the warm weather was keeping the large herd from moving. Only a few small groups of four to six animals could be seen in the distance. Jojo

FL2AK-Old Town,
    I will call tmhayes today and make contact. I imagine we can find room for you and your bow. I was up to the North Slope last year about the first week of September. The weather was unusually warm and this halted the movement of the caribou. There were only a few small groups of four to six animals moving in the distance. We have to monitor the weather channel because this will
    seriously affect the animals. Jojo

FL2AK-Old Town,
    I called "tmhayes" yesterday and the conversation was positive. He said he plans to travel by end of Aug or early Sept.
    Is your schedule flexible? I am retired and do not have any major commitments. The North Slope is over 300 miles from
    Fairbanks. This means at least one day driving each way.
    The tentative plan is for you to drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Leave your vehicle at my location
    and then accompany me in my truck to the Slope.
    For your information, I extended a personal invitation to Ft. Wainwright for two troops who want to hunt/fish in
    the Slope. Probably base command is reviewing my request before they release it to the base distribution. This is
    my way of "giving back to those who have put their lives in harm's way to protect my way of life". It is a question
    if the troops want to leave the comforts of their barracks for the North Slope tundra.
    My name is Rudolph Jojola (Jojo), email jojola12rr@hotmail.com and phone 907-9781346. Call me or send an
    email with any specific questions. Welcome aboard. Jojo

FL2AK-Old Town,
    I would like to you to contact me by phone or email to confirm your interest in this North Slope caribou hunt.
    I am leaving Fairbanks Aug 2nd for a seven days fishing trip on the western side of Cook Inlet. I will not be touching
    a computer keyboard for some time. Thanks Jojo

I to will be up there enjoying what Alaska has to offer. If we happen to run into one another, maybe we can chat and share some beer and good company. I will be there from the 25th-31st. I am always looking for new friends and for good times. So if thats sounds good, PM me and I will give you the run down on what we are driving and what not. Good luck and enjoy your time up north.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

JMG and Jcorwin, It looks like TigerRudyM, myself and possibly FL2AK-old town will be linking up around the same time here in fairbanks and heading up the haul road. I've been up there four or five times and jojo a few times from what i understand. I've already talked to TigerRudyM (jojo) and it sounds like a go for us. I'm really waiting to hear from a friend that flys up to Deadhorse once a week to make sure that the bou are even around. That's a good drive only to find out they haven't made it there yet. If your interested give me a call and well go from there. You can reach me at 907-750-4740. Terry

TigerRudy, TmHayes, et al:

Sorry I haven't responded in a timely manner. I would like to go, and my schedule is, at the moment, very flexible. (I'm unemployed.) (On that note, I'm hoping to hear something back fro ASD-I'm a teacher-soon.)

My biggest concern is that I don't have bow hunter certification at the moment. There is a class, here in ANC, starting the 18th (if it's not full yet), but I'm not sure if I can shoot good enough to pass.

I'll send an email, but my two main concerns is what will my share of the cost be and do I have to have that bowhunter cert to hunt up there.

PS: Jojo will be gone through the 9th, and I am leaving on the 9th to grouse hunt with my son (his first hunt) and will not return until late on the 15th before he flies home for the year.
    Last edited by FL2AK-Old Town; 08-02-2011 at 16:18. Reason: additional info

Since it's an archery restricted hunt within the 5 mile corridor, I'm quite sure you'll need the IBEF certification.

I figured as much. I can handle the "hunter ed" (the academic) part no problem. But someone told me you had to hit 4 out 5 in the vitals at 30 yards to pass; is that true? Shooting instinctively, with no sights, 30 yards has always been pretty far for me. (20 is pretty much my comfort range and 15 is even better.) Of course, that is all at 3D shoots, too.

Quote Originally Posted by tmhayes View Post
    JMG and Jcorwin, It looks like TigerRudyM, myself and possibly FL2AK-old town will be linking up around the same time here in fairbanks and heading up the haul road. I've been up there four or five times and jojo a few times from what i understand. I've already talked to TigerRudyM (jojo) and it sounds like a go for us. I'm really waiting to hear from a friend that flys up to Deadhorse once a week to make sure that the bou are even around. That's a good drive only to find out they haven't made it there yet. If your interested give me a call and well go from there. You can reach me at 907-750-4740. Terry
    I will give u call next week. I go back to work Thursday night till Monday. So either Monday or Tuesday. I would call you earlier, but I have last minute "honey do list" stuff to take care of tomorrow. So I hope to talk to you soon and we can get together and talk over a good beer and some good food.

J
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

FL2AK,
    If your riding with me all your cost would be is half the gas going up there and back. Bring your eats with you. I take my mountain house and 5gals of water and that holds me over for a few days. As for the bow Ed, yes you need that unless you feel the need to bring a rifle and walk the 5 miles of hell to shoot one and then drag it all the way back! If you have any other questions just give me a call. I'm trying to get some my honey do list done ASAP so I'm not checking this site as much.

TMHayes,

I just sent a similar email to Jojo on this. I spoke with the guy who teaches bowhunter ed and, given what he told me about the proficiency test, and given how not so well I dud in my last 3D shoot, I think you guys should count me out for the time being. I thought about offering to go as a non-hunter and split costs, just for the experience of it, but I think I've been spending a little too much money a little too quickly recently, so I better just hunker down for a time. I appreciate the offer, and I hope you guys do well. I'll stay in the thread and hope to hear good news on your return. Thanks.

Anyone looking to go up there I am down as a partner. I have an Oregon elk hunt that i am still working threaded on, but we may be able to work it out. I do have my ibep, I don't know if it matters, but if you can't pass that shoot please stay home. I would rather not drive up there but if someone wants to split gas I am in. My250 gets about12 Soweto have to talk about it. Let me know, don.

FL2AK,

Not a problem. Keep my name and number on file and when you feel your up for it just give me or jojo a call.

Have a good weekend.

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast