Thread: Bears

Default Bears

Hi new to this group, new to Gardening also. I am going to start with some lettuce.
    My place has a bear trail thur it, any pros or cons on gardening with black bears. Thanks

You can use the scat in your compost. Also moose scat works too. I have never had a problem with bears, but I wouldn't plant berries. It might attract the bears.

If you do not live in town and want the bear gone ask some of the hunters on the other forums. Otherwise you might want to get a dog to drive the bear away if it becomes troublesome.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

My mother in law's house and garden is very close to a game trail. She has never really had any problems. As long as you have good fencing, I think you should be okay. I would be more worried about moose than bears.

Moth Balls............

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Moth Balls............
    Moth balls make a nice snack for bears.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Moth Balls............
    7mm rem mag and a freezer no more problem bear.

seriously I've never had a bear bother my garden and we live in bear heaven. Don't worry about it just plant what you want, berries and all.
    Chuck