Thread: Engine hours on four stroke outboards

Default Engine hours on four stroke outboards

I'm looking at a used boat with 450 hours on a 4 stroke yamaha outboard.

Well, I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what that means as far as life left on outboard. Is it low, mid or high mileage for a yamaha four stroke ? Help please.

I have been told that 450 hrs on a four stoke is nothing. I do know guys that have a couple thousand hrs on there and the motors are still pretty strong. I believe i have about that many hrs on my motors and they are 08 model. If this rest of the boat is in good shape then i would expect that the motors are the same. Four strokes are pretty forgiving to say the least as compared to two strokes. Take the boat for a test ride and see how they respond in a idle, WOT, look for carbon at the exhaust port or prop.
    Hope this helps

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I have a couple thousand hours on my Yamaha F150 I bought in 2005. 300 or so hours a year is normal since I use it pretty much every weekend. Only issues were the stupid fuel filters kept getting clogged in the fuel injectors even with the racors and yamaha filters installed. It is a common problem with that motor so I've read and the new ones have supposedly been updated... At around 100 hours the head gasket went out, took the head off replaced it and it is still going strong.

I have 1400 hrs on a 2005 Yamaha F150 and haven't had any problems, just done the normal maint. myself and it runs as good as the day I bought it.

My understanding is that you can start looking at replacement of your 4-stroke between 3K-3.5K hours.

One thing that has not been mentioned and should be addressed is the age of the motor. I would rather have motor that was used ''regularly'' than a 10 year old motor with 450 hours. What size motor are you talking about?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks guys, its a 100 hp. 3k hours is pretty good, I'm impressed !

Certianly agree that the worst thing you can do to a motor is not use it. A hundred hours a year on an outboard or inboard diesel and you should have a problem free motor. Of course assuming you do your part on the maintenance.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Certianly agree that the worst thing you can do to a motor is not use it. A hundred hours a year on an outboard or inboard diesel and you should have a problem free motor. Of course assuming you do your part on the maintenance.
    I certianly don't mean more than a 100 hours are bad. Idealy I'd put 400 hours a year on my boat, however the mrs. doesn't share that same feeling
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

You do hear of 4 stroke motors going out with as little as 500 hours on them, many boat out there were sold without enough horse power, I would not want a motor that had been ran at full throttle all the time.

On the other hand the coast gaurd Hondas they run outta seward have upwards of 10,000 hours on them. Im sure they have had extensive maintance but thats what they say they have on them for hours.

I doubt that 1 out of 500 boaters ever keep a motor long enough to wear one out. Personally I never met anyone who wore out a outboard or inboard. Sad fact is most boaters tire of the boat long before the motor runs down.
    Heard through a second party McKays riverboat charters has over 5,000 hours on each of there 496 inboard jets and internals are still original.
    Tennessee

When you are buying any used boat you should as part of the deal take the boat to a authorized dealer and have them put a scan tool to see if there are any codes. additionally, they can do a quick compression test that will tell you a tone about the condition of the motor. I will cost between $100 - $200 to have done but a well worth cost to ensure you are not waisting your money.

450 hours is not a lot depending on how the maintenace was down and the above will answer most of your questions.

The coastie motors get what the owners manual calls for although down here they do go through a lot of lower units...Something about 19 year old kids and bottom structure makes it hard on them lower units . They have been getting OVER 10,000 hours on them consistantly .
    The average boater puts about 100 hours a year on their motor [ That's from servays , not my opinion ] As said above , I would rather buy a motor that had 500 hours put on it in 2 years than buy a motor that had 100 hours in ten years . Use them or loose them .

Anyway , take the rig to a Mechanic and have him check it out for you , it's money WELL spent.