Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .50 BEOWULF Alaskan LOADS

Default .50 BEOWULF Alaskan LOADS

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the .50 Beowulf and some thumper loads for up close and personal. Ive used it with great effect on some Huge wild pigs in Alabama and Texas. But most Load data is for light weight HP bullets.

Thinking like some BARNES BUSTERS at around 1900fps

HUNT SAFE HUNT HARD
    WILL

Default Should work fine

It should work fine with a hard cast 400 gr. bullet or so for close range. From one picture I saw of an ammo box bullet weights were avaliable in 325 and 400 gr.

Don't know what pressure it operates at but it appears close to a .500 S&W in a semi-auto. Perhaps you could get a .500 S&W chambered for it and use full-moon clips

Quote Originally Posted by 58dranger View Post
    Just wondering what your thoughts are on the .50 Beowulf and some thumper loads for up close and personal. Ive used it with great effect on some Huge wild pigs in Alabama and Texas. But most Load data is for light weight HP bullets.

Thinking like some BARNES BUSTERS at around 1900fps

HUNT SAFE HUNT HARD
    WILL
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Not too sure how them full moon clips would feed through that AR-15 Ive been shooting Barnes 375 X's out of it as well as rem 385 corelok ultra's pressures run pretty much around 40,000cup due to the high bolt trust of the load, its a real "kick" to shoot in a 16 in AR-15 I like the fact that I can have 12 or so in the mag and have a 7lb rifle while fishing or hiking.
    Not sure how a Hard cast would work in an AR with the gas port in the barrel being my main concern. thanks for the idea though

thanks

HUNT SAFE HUNT HARD
    WILL

I was just at the range last week shooting my first reloads. I loaded up the Sierra 400gr JFP. Using Reloader 7, I was getting about 1700fps. I used a scope mount I had just to get it sighted in, it loosened up after about 20 rounds. Will put a Burris PEPR on it this weekend. The loads shot great, will go back and finish shooting the rest of the reloads. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of them...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Default stumbled acroos this on the Beowulf and Alexander Arms

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Pics of my Beowulf and my new larger dust cover and opened up ejection port Lessons learned in this project just BUY a 50 Beowulf Upper that is a factory job. I built mine from scratch got a barrel blank and ran a 50AE chamber reamer deep and so on and so on. I got it running but it didnt have 100% ejection as the cases would barely fit the ejection port so I got my hands on a Alexander Arms 50 Beo upper and ding ding ding bigger port.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera 044.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	56637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera 045.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	56638
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Though as you see no-one is yet expressing a load. There should be no such thing as "Alaskan Loads". There should only be loads that fall within the tolerances of the platform, be it 35k psi or 40k psi, that is what should be worked up. But knowing the people on this forum, they'll be overloading the platform in short order.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Yup you are right I will RE-PHRASE does anybody have any good loads that are using bullets of quality design of various make and build,,, i.e barnes buster, X bullet WLFN, HAWK, that either penetrate like a freight train or give a good balance of depth and expansion. All Within a reasonable level or pressure. AND PRESSURE is not the issue with the Beowulf it is bolt thrust of the the straight wall case design and the ammount of impact on the reciever from the bolt carrier and buffer movement. I just think that this is a great platform for a fishing/camp gun light like in the range of 7 lbs with 5-12 rounds of 350-400gr bullets at 1800-1950 fps.

No Crazy Loads please thanks for the info posted drop me a PM when you want to shoot some thunder out of an AR
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera 047.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	56657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera 046.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	56658
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

Is it just the pics or is that gas block huge? Did you get the stripped upper receiver from AA or did you get it on gun broker or something? Did you get the dust cover from Steve on AR15.com or somewhere like beyond556.com?

I am going to need an upper for my 'wulf project and would like to get one that has already had the ejection port opened up, but if I need to machine one, I guess I could too....

Yup that gas block is huge I cut it out of a piece of like 2 inch round stock my barrel is a wierd size and at the time when I was building it the guy that was doing the machinie work Destroyed the factory block I had. Ya see my barrel is .875" and the standard ARs are .750" or a bull is like a .936" instead of being a machinist and actually boring the .750" gas block out to .875" I think he used like a ball hone or brake hone. Well he got it to fit on there but the first time I pulled the trigger I hade more flames shooting out of the gas block/barrel junction than the the muzzel so I got pissed and made one the next weekend with a buddy. I have found several new factory .875" gas blocks and am in the process of ordering a new Low Profile gas block with a new midlength YHM fore end.
    As for the upper I used a stock upper and just oppened the ejection port up as far as I could and still shut the factory dust cover. This is the reason I had reliability issues it was a tight fit, I was noticing that AA didnt had a cover on theres so my guess is that they just opened it and said to hell with the cover. I got my enlarged cover from Steve its a nice quick swap. My sugestion is to get an upper with a bigger port if they make them like that, its just easier, but if not and you are makeing you upper from scratch do it like this.
    1. strip it to bare install that larger dust cover and get out the dremel and opening it first do this until it will fit and shut. way easier to clean up if you do it stripped.
    2. It really isnt hard to open it up just a mess of particles.

Get ready for some Recoil, dont do the put the tip of your nose on the charging handle trick for a stockweld,
    Sorry for the pics of it with the function over form homemade gas block but it runs like a beast.
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

Very good. I got my .875 block from Troy that will live under an 11" TRX extreme rail. The only thing I need to do now is take care of my upper receiver...

It's kinda hard to see but I have built several Beowulfs and used a mill to cut the ejection port, but you can certainly do it with a dremel or a file if necessary. I choose to not use the dustcover and I removed the forward assist because the last thing I want to do is jam a round into the chamber when there is a reason it won't go in by itself.

It takes a little playing to get them to run but once they are dialed in they seem to be flawless. You will enjoy it I bet!

I would be interested in 400+ grain cast or jacketed loads and I do use RL7 in mine. I think as long as the bullet is rounded and will feed on the ramp, they should be reliable. BTW, a 12" Beowulf is really handy and really LOUD!

Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Who did the engraving on the receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Who did the engraving on the receiver?
    Thatís cool isnít it? Hard to tell in the pic but looks like it was CNC cut then touched up by hand for that Flintstoneís chiseled from stone look. Adds a lot, contests well with the modern look of the AR I think. He keeps doing these things that sound like itíd not fit then when I see it, looks great . . . ya got a good eye Lowrider!.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

OK Andy...you caught me...laser cut and finished off with a rock and a rusty nail...12d I think... and filled with Rose Passion lipstick to satisfy my wild side and clear coated in satin Duracoat.

There is something about a 50 cal that just makes you want to pound your chest and hollar at the world!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I have loaded up some 500g hornady that are Very accurate. Not sure of velocity as I don't have a chronograph but my loads are fairly mild with a lot of room to increase the "hotness". 2 separate groups of 5 were touching at 50 yrds with an eotech. If your interested in the recipe let me know.
    I like the build above. I also built my upper. Used a LAR side charging upper and an ar stoner barrel, yhm specter length free float quad rail and a low profile vltor gas block. The upper doesn't have to be milled the opening is big enough. I did wait 3 months for it to ship though but it's really nice, comes with the bcg. Element Arms sells them if anybody's interested

Yes Sir....I'll always take a good working load....bet others would too.

500g Hornady XTP. 24g Lil Gun. CCI 350. COAL 2.2
    Like I said its not a hot load and very accurate. Anything much longer than the 2.2 is too long to fit.
    As everybody always says, use this load with caution and I'm not liable for anybody using or abusing. Let me know how it works for you. Last time I was at sportsmans they carried these bullets

Thanks AK!!

It's good to see someone using Lil Gun successfully. I'm using it in a lot of things lately and I may need to buy a big jug. Any idea about what the velocity might be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast