Thread: stock will not come off

Default stock will not come off

I bought a new model 70 in a 7mm-08 at the end of December. I fianlly got around to taking it out of the box and giving it a good cleaning and the barreled action will not come off of the stock. I did take the two screws out and even the mag. I was thinking of sending it back. Do you guys think that this should be covered by warranty?

Wood or plastic stock? Not familiar with the 70's but sure you have all the screws out

How "hard" have you tried to take it out. I'm guessing it's a wood stock. Heat or something else heated up finish and stuck to it.

If it was home bedding job I'd say stick it in a freezer and give it a go in an hour. If it's a factory, no bedding there, still maybe try the freezer but just pull like you mean it. I'm guessing it will not take much force

And hey, don't know much on the 70. But I've never met a factory action that would not come out of a factory stick Give er the ol college try.

I pulled as hard as I could. I thought that I might break off the forearm. It is stock I have not done anything to it besides mount the scope. I know that I have all the screws out (I have a few other model 70ies). This is in there. i bought it brand new off the shelve. It just doesnt seem right that it would take that much force to get the stock off.

Well, still at wood or plastic? Try the freezer trick Beyond that maybe take it to a local gunsmith. They would be the best to let you know what's up. But my money is it's wood and factory Poly has it stuck.

Rubber mallet blow might get er too. Right at base of barrel and forearm. Wood may have swelled too and is holding in the lug, still back to freezer

A friend has a new M70- the stock fit is incredibly tight. His Safari requires the crossbolts to be loosened before you can even think to remove the stock.

Some custom bedded guns are so tight they're impossible to get free, except one way. So tight in fact you'd swear the bedding release compound didn't work. I haven't heard of a factory gun so tight, but I can't rule it out.

The trick is to back those two action bolts out just enough that their heads protrude about 1/16" below the floor plate. Lay the rifle flat on its side on a blanket or something soft, bolt side up. Have someone grab the forend without touching the barrel and brace the comb against something solid. Now rap each bolt head with a rubber mallet. Doesn't have to be a hard rap, just firm. If you need to hit them more than once, alternate between them. If that doesn't free it, back the bolts out to a total of about 1/8" and do it again.

I wouldn't back the bolts out more than 1/4" to do this due to the danger of bends. If you can't free the action using moderate force, I'd send it back to Winchester before really beating on it. Let them sort it out.

Except for my .338 that has a one piece Ted Blackburn floor plate assembly and is held on by 2 screws, my other Model 70's all have three screws holding the stock and action together because the floor plate and trigger guard are 2 pieces. Is it a one piece arrangement on the new ones? Your post said you removed 2 screws, you sure it was only 2? Unless you forgot to pull a screw, which i doubt, then they probably have some kind of epoxy bedding around the recoil lug and/or possibly at the end of the forearm. As others referred to, try the freezer and a dead blow hammer. I also think Brown Bear has a good and maybe better method, I will have to remember that one. Never fun taking a hammer to a gun!

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Never fun taking a hammer to a gun!
    Feels worse than a wedgie!

I had exactly the same thing happen with my M70 wood stock coyote .223 WSSM. I never suspected it was glass bedded from the factory and had no idea what was going on. I wiggled and pulled for a hour before giving up. Days later I tried again and got it apart by holding the stock and rear of the action in my right hand, the forend in my left and whacking the barrel on a upholstered chair arm. Yes there are only 2 screws on the one piece trigger guard. I have glass bedded many rifles and that was the tightest I ever encountered.