Thread: Alaska Northern Outfitters, Seward??

Question Alaska Northern Outfitters, Seward??

Going out with them tomorrow with a group (I got lucky and got a free seat). I've never heard of them before.

Anyone use them or have reports, good or bad, about them? Just curious...I'm going either way.

Thanks!

Excellent people. I have used them several times and have never been dissapointed

Good people but I HOPE THE WEATHER IS BETTER THAN IT WAS TODAY. It was Mr. Toads wild ride on the way back from Aialik Bay. Didn't see many boats out today. Good luck and try to stay out of the cod.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I'm going either way.

Let us know how the trip turned out.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Capt. Shawn is a young guy but a very determined and motivated fisherman. He will do his best to put you on the fish. If the weather cooperates, some of you may get to pull in some big ones!

Quote Originally Posted by jockomontana View Post
    Capt. Shawn is a young guy but a very determined and motivated fisherman. He will do his best to put you on the fish. If the weather cooperates, some of you may get to pull in some big ones!
    Agreed. Was very impressed with the young skipper and crew. Far better than I've had on other charters with more "seasoned" captains.

The report:

Morning was gloomy with a dismal forecast. Capt. waited about half an hour extra to see what the weather would do. Lots of boats cancelled the day, but Shawn decided to go for and poke our nose out the bay. Turned out to be a very good call, and a gorgeous day with subsiding wind and waves (there was a good ground swell, though--6-8 feet, big rollers). We went a little beyond Johnstone and anchored. We had to work for the fish, and picked up a number of cod and sharks, but with 12 people (I think) fishing we got 20 halibut. Most of a respectable size, biggest about 70. Had a couple of much bigger ones on throughout the day.

We also got roughly a dozen rockfish, mostly yelloweye, and a couple of nice kings that we couldn't keep.

The boat is a beast and very roomy inside and out. All in all, it was a very good charter experience with a friendly crew that fished for 12 hours trying to get us all halibut...they deserve recognition just for that.

*correction*

LINGS not KINGS

Stupid autocorrect.

Default AK Northern Outfitters

Their boat, Armstrong Catamaran, costs about how much to build? Anyone have any input for it looks to me like state-of-the-art kind of stuff??? Two tiers is very unique IMHO.