Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Up-Side_Down (USD) tomato experiment. W/pics

  1. #1
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default Up-Side_Down (USD) tomato experiment. W/pics

    2 years ago I tried the USD tomato. (pic attch'd) I had a good plant but lots of Blossom end rot.
    I didn't give it allot of attention, & it was tough to know how much & when to water it.
    The new "topsy turvy" is a better idea but just drill a couple holes in the side of a 5 gallon bucket, put tomato plant in it & you have one.

    Last year I tried a more conventional approach for a space saver. I made a false bottom bucket that the bottom section holds about a gallon of water & has a wick up into the soil section. Tomato & soil in the top section. I train the plant to grow out & eventually their weight makes them hang down. I got ripe tomatoes but not as good as the ones in the soil boxes. Eventually the tomato roots grow down thru the wick right into the water section & "mainline water". As long as the bottom has water, the plant can get what water it needs. I had no BER, but smaller & fewer tomatoes.
    I'm doing it again this year, (pic) more for fun but if I give it more food I think it will give me some ripe tomatoes. (I put 3 strawberry plants in the bucket too) Also used some more valuable GH area to grow something. But this is inside the GH, & when tried outside, not much success.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Supporting Member Old John's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    2 years ago I tried the USD tomato. (pic attch'd) I had a good plant but lots of Blossom end rot.
    I didn't give it allot of attention, & it was tough to know how much & when to water it.
    The new "topsy turvy" is a better idea but just drill a couple holes in the side of a 5 gallon bucket, put tomato plant in it & you have one.

    Last year I tried a more conventional approach for a space saver. I made a false bottom bucket that the bottom section holds about a gallon of water & has a wick up into the soil section. Tomato & soil in the top section. I train the plant to grow out & eventually their weight makes them hang down. I got ripe tomatoes but not as good as the ones in the soil boxes. Eventually the tomato roots grow down thru the wick right into the water section & "mainline water". As long as the bottom has water, the plant can get what water it needs. I had no BER, but smaller & fewer tomatoes.
    I'm doing it again this year, (pic) more for fun but if I give it more food I think it will give me some ripe tomatoes. (I put 3 strawberry plants in the bucket too) Also used some more valuable GH area to grow something. But this is inside the GH, & when tried outside, not much success.
    Mud buddy
    I tried one of those USD things in the house last year - kept it watered and an occasional splash of Miracle Grow, got 2 smallish tomatoes... However, at that time I didn't know one should gently shake the stalk to get the flowers to pollenate.. That I've learned from this forum... anyhow, gave the canvas bucket to the D-I-L to see what she could do with it...

    I have 2 straw berry "beds" outside.. but the chickweed, clover, dandelions, and little birch tree starts are over whelming us... If it weren't for the fact the grandkids get such a kick out of finding and picking ripe (and semi-ripe) strawberries I'd plow the whole thing under and start all over...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •