Thread: Bait for lake fishing

Default Bait for lake fishing

Hey guys,

I'm looking to do some lake fishing in valley but I'm new to it. I went to Long Lake near Kepler/Bradley the other day and tried out various small spoons/spinners from the shore but didn't have any luck, even though I could sight fish the lake (they looked black and red under the water, so maybe they were char, although that lake is supposedly only stocked with rainbows).

As far as shore fishing goes, what kind of bait/tackle are people using? When people talk about using eggs for bait, do they mean the big bunches of cured roe that people use for kings, or those individual eggs you can buy in a small jar?

Either will work though single eggs will catch more smaller fish and is generaly more appropriate for the smallish stocked fish, usually. Small shrimp, earth worms or meal worms work well also. If you use shrimp get the fresh/frozen variety, canned are too soft and simply fall apart.

yeah we got some the other day and they fall right off the hook, so we froze them ourselves.

Canned Corn and Berkley Powerbait works really well for Rainbow Trout in lakes (mostly Bradley Kepler, Victor, Bonnie) with a size 8 or 10 hook. We like to crimp off the barb for hook and release and fish mostly with a small bobber http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...104229/-974026 like this one and a split shot about 6 inches above the hook. My wife slays them with this technique. We/she is usually in a small boat and casting into shore along brush piles and overhanging logs, trees. Mostly catching them in 1-3 feet of water except Victor lake, they are in the middle mostly.

I've never used powerbait before. Are you combining it with canned corn, or saying either or?

Quote Originally Posted by nuke4u View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to do some lake fishing in valley but I'm new to it. I went to Long Lake near Kepler/Bradley the other day and tried out various small spoons/spinners from the shore but didn't have any luck, even though I could sight fish the lake (they looked black and red under the water, so maybe they were char, although that lake is supposedly only stocked with rainbows).

As far as shore fishing goes, what kind of bait/tackle are people using? When people talk about using eggs for bait, do they mean the big bunches of cured roe that people use for kings, or those individual eggs you can buy in a small jar?
    Probably saw those fish down to the left when u get to the lake, right? They used to 'try' to spawn this time of yr. They are rainbows. They are tough to catch as they have a single issue in mind. Sometimes u can get them to 'defend' the area and take your presentation. Never did find the 'best' lure/bait to use on them. Later in the yr a guy (flyfishing) can do well with lake leeches in olive, brown, white, and purple size 8. Spin fisherman...small white mister twisters-killer. Some real nice fish there.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Before someone gets a ticket, Long Lake in the Kepler/Bradley complex of lakes is a RAINBOW TROUT SPECIAL MANAGEMENT WATER(S) special regulation area. That means unbaited, single hook, artificial lure only. Page 22 in the fishing reg book. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Probably saw those fish down to the left when u get to the lake, right? They used to 'try' to spawn this time of yr. They are rainbows. They are tough to catch as they have a single issue in mind. Sometimes u can get them to 'defend' the area and take your presentation. Never did find the 'best' lure/bait to use on them. Later in the yr a guy (flyfishing) can do well with lake leeches in olive, brown, white, and purple size 8. Spin fisherman...small white mister twisters-killer. Some real nice fish there.

One more reason to fly fish