Thread: First ride for new boat

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default First ride for new boat

We mounted a trolling motor on the 34 roamer (week long project) forecast was SE 30 on our scheduled travel day back to old harbor 68 nm. We left at 1pm and got home at 640 pm.

Burned 49 gal diesel, plugged the racors we did 19 knots to chinak then the rips were all tossed up so creeped along at 9-10 knots to narrow cape then tried to get back to 19 when we plugged the racors, we cruised at 9-12 knts the rest of the way.

The boat rode super in the rips, but didn't feel good in the following sea, no boat feels good in a following sea when the waves look like they are going to come over the stern.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I bet it was messy around Ugak Island. Glad you made it safely and missed the whales that were hanging around there a couple weeks back.

I don't understand your "plugged the racors" comment. My first thought was fuel filters, but I know that's not what you meant. Must be something else on your boat. Care to elaborate?

Kodiakcombo which would you prefer a boat the handles a head sea or a following sea?The only boat I know of that is designed for a following sea is a Davis.If you shut off the main in the troff a Davis will turn and float bow down hill every time but they do pound while running up hill.

I dont think any boats like SE 30. Congrats on the new boat, it is pretty, saw it again passing by Arc and Spark. Must have had stuff in the tank from manufacture? Good thing for racors, love them.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

THe boat only has 540hrs on it, so it has been sitting around the boat yard for a couple of years?

Yeah so the code on the volvo info system showed a fuel flow issue, (according to Scott my mechanic, we were in cell range)

The seas were worst between chiniak and ugak, we could only do 9-10 knts, then we got past ugak and tried to speedup but had an alrm for furl flow problems, I thin turbine filters from racor are btter.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    I bet it was messy around Ugak Island. Glad you made it safely and missed the whales that were hanging around there a couple weeks back.

I don't understand your "plugged the racors" comment. My first thought was fuel filters, but I know that's not what you meant. Must be something else on your boat. Care to elaborate?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Ahhh, so you did have fuel flow problems. I didn't get that other than associating the word racor with fuel filters. I thought you were saying you plugged the racors so you could pick up speed. My mistake. I just misunderstood what you were trying to say, but I'm glad you got it fixed despite being a long way from town and pitching around in rough seas.

Hope you enjoy your new ride!