Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 34 inch King from a Yak. Anchor point 05/21/11

Default 34 inch King from a Yak. Anchor point 05/21/11

VIDEO LINK:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFI1Bd0rgIw

After checking the weather, I decided I would try Seward by the Fourth of July Creek area since Anchor Point seemed too marginal weather wise. Get to Seward and the weather there was not so hot either Tried it for a couple of hours. Had three solid hits but all three time I came back up with no bait or just the head. I have no idea what it was. It felt fairly heavy but not overly active all three times.

About 2pm I check the weather and make a call to the tractor launch in Anchor Point. One footers? What? They were calling for 3 and 4 footers. Darn weather forecasters. So I high tail to Anchor Point area and I am in the water fishing by 6pm for a 7:30pm high tide. Rigged a whole herring to roll. Drifting the bottom, then paddle against the wind to reposition and drift again,

2 cods and 3 Irish Lords in the first 30 minutes. Well at least the fish are active.

About the the 4th time I repositioned in about 35 feet of water, I get hit and the line starts peeling. I just stare at my rod for a few seconds in disbelief and it is definitely not the bottom. Wow!

That's the third king in three trips for my kayak group, It's the second one for me in three trips from a kayak and the time I didn't get one, I got a 14 pound halibut. Amazing. Who would have thought it was possible. I grew up in Kenai and I still can't believe it. I get the feeling my power boats are not going to get used tis year.

The king was definitely a feeder. Absolutely no roe or milt. It was STUFFED with 6 hooligans and several sand lances.

Not huge but 34 inches. Probably a touch over 20 pounds given the length and girth.

The final odd thing was as I was loading the kayak up, the "Time Bandit" from the "Deadliest Catch" shows up, drops a skiff, picks some folks up and then they take off again. I wonder what they were doing in Cook Inlet? 30 minutes earlier, I was battling my king in the exact same spot.

Nice fish!!! I like your twin video set up, really cool.

Nice job Rudy!! I think you need a rod tip cam also??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Very nice job. You've obviously done this a lot, fishing from your kayak that is. Cutting the line and stashing the rod vice trying to do too many things at one time makes it a lot easier to stay upright. Thanks for the nice video.

Very cool! Those scales really came off...Is there a reason that you don't have the net already assembled? I'm sure you have a reason, but I'm curious...

Great pictures. Were the Time Bandit boy's lighting any seal bombs when they pulled through?

Kard says....
    After checking the weather, I decided I would try Seward by the Fourth of July Creek area since Anchor Point seemed too marginal weather wise. Get to Seward and the weather there was not so hot either Tried it for a couple of hours. Had three solid hits but all three time I came back up with no bait or just the head. I have no idea what it was. It felt fairly heavy but not overly active all three times

Were there seals/sea lions around?? Pretty smart fellers. Good idea to check w. tractor launches off the beaches. About the only good, instant way to get conditions. Congrats on another king and another great video. ps...lots of rock fish by 4rth of july ck. --dont think kings go up there. kings are hatchery fish and hang by the falls on other side of bay (by the secret arrowtooths hole).
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

That's a very cool setup! Downrigger and everything....that's awesome.

Good job!

And the end of the video was great....Time Bandit rookies!

Nice Job Kardinal. I wish I was fishing.

JT

Nicely done! Great footage and a nice king at that!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Rudy, You da man!!! Like always great job.

Heard you say....."ugh..there's scales everywhere." on the video.

Funny...I LOVE 'fish glitter'....that's when I know I'm catchin' FISH!!!

FUN!!!!!!! Boy...you sure are proficient at getting all the gear taken care of. Man.

This will be my first year fishing from a Yak...I am looking forward to it.

Thanks for sharing!!!

FF
    "The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
    In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

The Time Bandit is probably there getting ready for the salmon season as tender. Those boats work other fisheries beside crab. In my years commercial fishing I have seen and sold to Time Bandit, Cornelius Marie, Wizard and others in Bristol Bay, PWS and Cook inlet. They keep those boats busy making $$.

Nice catching btw !

Takes talent to fish, catch, video the catch and land the fish.
    GREAT JOB!!

The home port for Time Bandit is Homer, and the owners live there, I believe. This is second hand information; my coworker is somehow related to them and fished with them at one point.

I have also seen it anchored at the Ester hatchey in PWS a couple of years ago, so maybe there is some truth to them being involved with the salmon fishery.

Good job on the king, I still have not boated my first one of the year. Nothing wrong with the size of that one.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Nice job on another King and from a Kayak no less. Keep the videos coming. On a side note you need a bigger net, if you ever get that dream 60 lb'er your going to have problems with that net. Maybe a harpoon would be better... but you probably know that already.

As for the Time Bandit, its in Homer quite a bit as the owners used to live there. Their family used to own most of the end of the Spit by Lands End. Most of those crab boats tender for the cannery's in the summer, got to make $$ year round.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks folks. Appreciate the compliments but those thinking I know what I am doing must have missed my last video. lol. I guess I got the fish so in the end, we won! I try to post the good with the bad so I can learn from it.

Cod, I have no idea what was hitting my bait in Seward. Pole would double over, it seems like a snag, but you'd feel it moving. then the bait comes back with just the head or nothing. No seals I could see.

I commented about the scales because I have handled thousands of commercial kings from that exact beach and the spawners starting in June don't lose scales like that. When I see it, I immediately think silvers but that's because I have more in river experience than saltwater.

The only advice I have is "just go do it!"....safely! First real year on a kayak. Have required safety gear, bought one extra camera for less than $200 on top of the waterproof one I already had.

Kayak is great but can't wait to try to get underwater shots and such from a bigger platform.

2 kings by mid may. Season is off to a good start.

were you fishing the north or south marker? Nice Fish!

Quote Originally Posted by danmiotke View Post
    were you fishing the north or south marker? Nice Fish!
    Thanks!

In between the Stariski Closed area and the Anchor Point Closed area. So North of the Anchor Point marker.

Congrats on the king Rudy. You've really got your act together landing 'em. Nice job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast